Derek Fisher is a Warrior!

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Rudeezy, Jul 15, 2004.

1. goldenstatefan

goldenstatefan JBB JustBBall Member

the way i look at it, chris mullin alrleady knows the players he's going to resign from this group and which one's he's not so signing fisher and foyle isn't going to affect his decision on who to keep of this group, he's probably already made up his mind. signing guys like foyle and fisher seems to me to fall in line with the same line of thought that would bring in a college coach like montgomery, someone who's always been about developing players, getting them to buy into his system and getting the most out of them.

i can't see mullin signing both foyle and fisher to long term deals if he was planning on resigning all the young players on the roster. i've already got an idea on who he wants to keep and let go, and it should be evident in the way minutes are distributed this season.

2. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

http://hoopshype.com/articles/shaq_okelly.htm
    Here are some interesting things from Mullin and Montgomery. This one is probably most important as far as Warriors would care for. The rest is ok I guess. I think it would be an interesting read if you're bored and have the time and haven't been given enough info and opinions about the Lakers.

What was your first reaction to Shaquille O'Neal being traded to the Miami Heat?

Chris Mullin (Golden State Warriors GM): Not too surprised. You heard about Shaq asking for the trade, you just didn?t know where he was going to end up. It didn?t come out of nowhere.

Mike Montgomery (Golden State Warriors head coach): I was more concerned about getting Derek Fisher signed, which we did.

So I guess Fisher was a Montgomery guy.

3. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

You guys bring up some good points. Why does Mullin not like Speedy if he was the one that signed him last year? Or was it St. Jean? Anyways, that does not make sense. I hope that your second option is right walker. I agree with just about everything you said goldenstatefan.

4. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

If Fisher is a Mike Montgomery player. Then I think Mullin just signed him so Montgomery would feel better with his roster. I don't know if Mullin has planned much of anything right now from that Fisher signing. Anyhow there could be a lot of possibilities out there in this current situation. So a big trade might not be too far away, but there really isn't any strong evidence, at least that I know of, that is saying that the Warriors will trade a certain player at this point. Maybe they'll try to add someone with Dampier to bring back better player, if they are able to do a sign and trade. But any other deal is sorta hard to foresee right now.

5. Johnny33

Johnny33 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kwan1031:</div><div class="quote_post">NVE receives 12 mils. 6.9 mils trade exception is not even close.

Back to Fisher... One thing is pretty sure. Mullin does not have much confidence on Speedy and Speedy can easily be moved, despite what he did last season...</div>

that's why i wrote.. "and a draft pick"

6. Warriorfansnc93

I hope this is not just a Monty guy. What does this guy know about the NBA that he knows which guys he wants?

7. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

I think Speedy was more of Saint's signing. If Mullin signed Speedy for 3 mils per year and Speedy showed 18/7 when he started, Mullin has every right to boost his choice by starting Speedy at PG.

Saint's style and Mullin's style are quite different. Saint favored athlatic and unrefined players, who's potential is unlimited. Players like Jamison, Richardson, Arenas, Dampier, Speedy and Pietrus falls into that catagory. In other hand, Mullin seems to favor smart and skilled basketball player, who may not be athlatic and limited potential. Dunleavy, Murphy, Barry (whom we tried to sign via sign and trade with Robinson), Fisher, Foyle, and Biedrins fall into that catagory. And, the team is starting to move toward Mullin's style. I can't say I like where this team is going and I don't have much to say what will happen. We will see though, since all the moves are not completed yet. Hope those are good ones...

8. Johnny33

i think what they're after is an energy player who will hustle and lead by example. When a team hasn't made the playoffs in... forever.. you sort of need those kinds of players to get the other guys going, to get them motivated night in and night out.

9. Kwan1031

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting johnny33:</div><div class="quote_post">that's why i wrote.. "and a draft pick"</div>

Pick counts as $0, unless you are talking about a player, who's already drafted...

10. Johnny33

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kwan1031:</div><div class="quote_post">Pick counts as $0, unless you are talking about a player, who's already drafted...</div>

then how did kmart get traded for 3 picks?

11. Warriorfansnc93

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting johnny33:</div><div class="quote_post">i think what they're after is an energy player who will hustle and lead by example. When a team hasn't made the playoffs in... forever.. you sort of need those kinds of players to get the other guys going, to get them motivated night in and night out.</div>

That was Brian Cardinal last year, and Earl Boykins the year before, and the list goes on and on... You logic is false.

12. Kwan1031

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting johnny33:</div><div class="quote_post">then how did kmart get traded for 3 picks?</div>

Because Denver has a caproom to sign Kmart outright. And, since Kmart was a restricted FA and NJ threated Denver to match that offer, Denver compensated NJ by giving them 3 picks...

13. Johnny33

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Warriorfansnc93:</div><div class="quote_post">That was Brian Cardinal last year, and Earl Boykins the year before, and the list goes on and on... You logic is false.</div>

how many of those players have 3 rings? its different when a guy is hustling to keep his job - compared to a guy who hustled and helped win championships

14. Warriorfansnc93

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting johnny33:</div><div class="quote_post">how many of those players have 3 rings? its different when a guy is hustling to keep his job - compared to a guy who hustled and helped win championships</div>

Good point.

15. Johnny33

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kwan1031:</div><div class="quote_post">Because Denver has a caproom to sign Kmart outright. And, since Kmart was a restricted FA and NJ threated Denver to match that offer, Denver compensated NJ by giving them 3 picks...</div>

alright, my bad. Just read the Salary Cap FAQ.. http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

Pretty good read for anyone interested.

16. Johnny33

(personally I think signing Derek Fisher is the Jud Beuchler effect - you know, how Luc Longley, Jud Beuchler, etc.. all got nice contracts after the Bulls broke up but they all still sucked because #23 wasn't playing with them?)

17. Warriorfansnc93

I was thinking the same thing. Fisher was only as good as he was because Shaq made others around him play better.

18. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Clif25:</div><div class="quote_post">http://hoopshype.com/articles/shaq_okelly.htm
    </div>

It's actually a short article, and while this is a tad off-topic, I love Mullin's answer to the question at the end.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">- Who is a stronger team now, the Lakers or the Miami Heat?
    Chris Mullin: The Warriors.</div>

19. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

Wow, that is a classic quote by Mullin. I think I found myself a new sig.[​IMG]

20. meshgearfox

meshgearfox JBB JustBBall Member

That is a rock solid response by Mullin.

What's all this speculation that Speedy has no future with the Warriors? Speedy's just too small to play more than 25-30min per game. And it's clear from last year that we need depth at the position. It's NVE who's the big question mark.