Derek Fisher is a Warrior!

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Rudeezy, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

Foyle is on the Razor and Mr. T show right now on KNBR for anyone interested.

2. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rudeezy:</div><div class="quote_post">Foyle is on the Razor and Mr. T show right now on KNBR for anyone interested.</div>

I'm listening right now but he is not on there anymore. Give me a recap...

3. Rudeezy

I came in the middle of the interview but he was addressing the Fisher deal. He said that he wouldn't mind having 3 PGs on this team next year after all the injuries this year. He also said that Mullin is not done dealing and that there WILL be more moves in the next few weeks.

Foyle is excited by the signing of Fisher because of his experience and talent. He said that he is a great guy to have in the locker room and will be a great mentor to the young players on the team.

They also talked about Biedrins and how he is now playing a little small foward because of Pietrus' injury. Foyle said that he has not yet met him but is excited to play with another big man that has the defensive skills that Biedrins has.

They than went on to talk about Foyle's involvement in the community and in politics.

4. Warriorfansnc93

Oh man, I wish I could have heard it. I really like Foyle.

5. upsidedownside7

upsidedownside7 JBB JustBBall Member

After thinking about this deal, I kinda like it. I know I am stubborn and have something mean to say about every player but I officially like the deal. Fisher is a point guard who will run the offense and the knock on speedy is that he really looks for his own shot a lot. Fisher is only signed to the MLE, he comes in and plays some D and knows how to win. Just being around that Lakers environment is a good thing. Not only that but he is a talented guard. He's no Kidd but we're not paying him that much money. Seriously, this is good.

I would much rather pay him than pay Cardinal. Fisher will get others involved, is reliable and a strong guy. The exact opposite of speedy. Good deal.

If we're signing Fisher to a deal hoping he will push us into the playoffs that is retarded. We need to get a really good player to compliment him. Someone like Marion etc.

6. Warriorfansnc93

Here are my problems with the signing.

6 year contract:He will be 36 when his contract expires. He wont be able to play effectively for 4 more years!

As far as spending the money on him or Cardinal, I would have rather had Cardinal.

7. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Warriorfansnc93:</div><div class="quote_post">Here are my problems with the signing.

6 year contract:He will be 36 when his contract expires. He wont be able to play effectively for 4 more years!

As far as spending the money on him or Cardinal, I would have rather had Cardinal.</div>Yo, we don't know what this guy is capable of when he is in his mid 30's. I mean look at cliffy. What I'm worried about is can he run the point with an offense other than Phil Jackson's triangle offense. I know Montgomery's system is going to be way different than what Dfish is used to.

8. meshgearfox

meshgearfox JBB JustBBall Member

Like I said before, he's a basketball player. he can run any sytem , because he does the little things, understands the nuances of the game and most importantly makes good decisions. Top that off with his defense, and conditioning; hell C-Rob is 40, he's still a baller.

9. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting meshgearfox:</div><div class="quote_post">Like I said before, he's a basketball player. he can run any sytem , because he does the little things, understands the nuances of the game and most importantly makes good decisions. Top that off with his defense, and conditioning; hell C-Rob is 40, he's still a baller.</div>Yeah I hear ya I guess fans should be excited, but as with any acquired free agents you want the big names to create some stir. Dfish is like a mixed reactions. I think this board would definitely be buzzing if they some how managed to pull Jason Kidd or Paul Pierce from their teams to play as Warriors. Especially if they somehow managed to get them both on the same team. Would never happen, but you can always dream. But so far since those type of deals/signings aren't happening, it's kind of a mystery to see how this season is going to pan out for the dubs. It's kind of scary actually.

10. meshgearfox

meshgearfox JBB JustBBall Member

Well, on this board some are saying this signing ruins our cap space. Kidds' contract would definitely tie our hands. Kidd is the best point guard i've ever seen (outside of Magic), but he is someone who relies on speed and he's losing his steps. He's still very good, and could help us a lot, but what do you give up to get him? And with whatever roster you have left, you had better win that championship in the next two years or else you're looking at another five years of rebuilding.

This team is now four years in the making, and it's my belief that posters on team chat sites other than this one in three years will be saying things like, we need to trade for a guy like Pietrus, and Dunleavy.

There is always talk on these boards of 'getting stars', what they are really saying 'get scorers'. Do scorers equal victories? Vince Carter, TMac, Francis, Stackhouse, how easy has it been for them to win? Many folks are quick to dismiss the talents of the VERY young players that we have as deficient in one way or another. Can Jrich break every player down in isolation? No. Can Dun guard every small foward on the perimeter? No. But since the defensive rule changes of two years ago, it is no longer a game of isolating a mismatch at the top of the key, but of motion and fast break offense and team defense.

Furthermore, playing in this league is not easy, and it takes time to learn. You don't give up on players with as much talent as the ones that we have, even if there are logjams and trading someone is inevitable. At least wait until their trade value is at the highest and its clear which player is best for the team.

11. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

There are a lot of mixed reactions from Warriors fans in this thread so being the outsider that I am, I have to drop my two cents:

I'm finding it really hard to grasp the fact that the Warriors have used up almost all of their cap space on Foyle and Fisher. Two very solid players and all around good guys but IMO really haven't played well enough to earn their contracts. I know this arguement is getting old but the Warriors have 3 point guards on their team and it isn't likely that one of them is on the move anytime soon. I have heard of a heavy guard rotation but this is pushing it. After signing Foyle, the Warriors didn't have many positions to fill up. Signing Fisher and Foyle to long-term contracts means that other than making trades, this team cannot make anymore free agent signings this year or next or the next one after that. Add in the fact that Troy Murphy and JRich may be re-signed come next summer, the Warriors look to be cash strapped for a good couple of seasons <font size="1">(that is IF they re-sign them).</font><font size="2"> Not a good positions any team wants to be in.</font>

In regards to Fisher and Foyle: Fisher has been a backup point guard for most of his career. A true locker-room type of guy but 7 out of the 8 years he has been in the league he has been a bench player. Same goes for Foyle. While he hasn't been in the league as long as Fisher has, he is still in the same boat. Only once in his 7 year career has he started over 50 games and has never averaged over 30 minutes of action ever. He is a defensive shotblocking machine and all around good guy <font size="1">(kinda like Fisher) </font><font size="2">but he is still unproven. Basically the Warriors signed two bench players to contracts worth a total of 78 million over 5 years. That number seems very inflated but it's true.</font>

I know that Warriors fans may bite my ass for saying these things but the team has been overpaying players this offseason IMO and they have screwed up the value of players for every other team in the NBA. I just think that they could have waited until next year or.....spent their money a little wiser.

12. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">But, in its own way, the Fisher acquisition communicates fascinating things:

1. The Lakers wanted to keep Fisher, as a backup to Gary Payton, to maintain a core around Kobe Bryant, who announced his decision to stay with the Lakers on Thursday.

Question: When was the last time the Warriors ended up with a player the Lakers wanted?

2. Look at how fast the people who know Bryant best -- Fisher came into the NBA with Bryant in 1996 -- are bolting the Lakers, now that Shaquille O'Neal is gone and Bryant is staying.

It took Fisher, what, 90 minutes?

If you ask longtime Lakers employees to pick their favorite Laker, the player who makes them smile the most, it'd be Fisher, no contest.

Now Lamar Odom, traded to L.A. in the Shaq deal, is acting upset in the same way Chris Webber pouted when he was traded to Sacramento and Nick Van Exel when he was traded to the Warriors.

Remember when players prayed to go to the Lakers? Now an inspiring player who helped keep the Lakers together for eight years instead of breaking apart years ago . . . has chosen to join the Warriors.

3. Van Exel isn't much more than an afterthought now -- albeit an afterthought who has one year left on his contract, which makes him a very tradable commodity.

I don't know if Fisher, 29, is a long-term answer at point guard, either. And I don't know if all six years are guaranteed.

But if you team Speedy Claxton with Fisher -- I don't know if either are 40-minute guys -- and if Coach Mike Montgomery can get anything out of Van Exel, then you have something at point guard.

There's one more move left for Warriors chief Chris Mullin: Getting equal value for center Erick Dampier in a sign-and-trade. (Probably a young, athletic forward.)

4. So the Warriors' two big signings this off-season have been center Adonal Foyle -- overpaid at $8 million a year, but that was the marketplace -- and Fisher at $6 million.

What do those two signings have in common? Neither is for silly, Antawn Jamison money, and Fisher and Foyle are considered two of the NBA's best locker-room presences.

5. Once it became clear that Brent Barry was going to San Antonio, the Warriors' decision came down to this: Do they use their full exception to sign Brian Cardinal or Fisher?

That's a close one. Cardinal, who got a Fisher-style deal with Memphis, gives you the same kind of scrambling energy and he can play either forward position. But Fisher has those three rings and provides insurance if Claxton is hurt again and Van Exel is traded or ineffective.

There's one last bonus: Fisher migrating from L.A. sends a signal about the two teams. The Lakers have committed to Kobe, come hell or low-playoff seeding.

The Warriors have committed to character, to success over the long term, and to sincere human beings who can get them there.</div>

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...state_warriors/

13. iceman

iceman JBB JustBBall Member

omg i cant understand him....why?Laker is better club than warriors [​IMG]

14. Warriorfansnc93

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting iceman:</div><div class="quote_post">omg i cant understand him....why?Laker is better club than warriors [​IMG]</div>
    :shakehead

15. N4S

N4S BBW Member

D Fish is a Warrior, but not mentally and physically.

16. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting pgrudo00:</div><div class="quote_post">D Fish is a Warrior, but not mentally and physically.</div>
    Thanks, that made a lot of sense. :thumbsdow

17. Custodianrules2

All I know is a lot of my Laker friends (the hardcore lakers for life NOT bandwagoners) love DFish and they think he'll be awesome. They couldn't understand the contract length though. It was like wahhh?

18. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Does this signing remind you of BJ Armstrong at all?

BJ Armstrong was a major role player for Phil Jackson during the Chicago Bull championships. He was a shooting guard trapped in a point guards body, and didn't have the typical point guard skills. BJ Armstrong was always a great person on and off the court and a solid locker room leader alongside MJ.

The Warriors traded for him, after he was selected by the Raptors in their expansion draft. He was supposed to play solid minutes and bring stability to the Warriors alongside Mullin, Spree, and Joe Smith. His first year in GSW he had decent numbers, playing all 82 games and scoring a little over 12 PPG. However the next two seasons, his production fell off significantly and he was eventually traded to the Hornets for Tony Delk and Muggsy Bogues.

BJ Armstrong came to the Warriors a couple of years after the C-Webb, Hardaway, and Don Nelson mess. Fisher is coming to this team a few years after the Arenas, Jamison, Musselman transition. BJ Armstrong was brought in to split the PG spot with Bimbo Coles, while Fisher has been brought in to help out Speedy.

Both were coached by Phil Jackson, hit key shots, and played a major role within the Triangle Offense. Neither player is good at making transition layups, but they both brought energy and to their respective teams by hitting a timely 3pt shot or taking a charge.

Will history repeat itself?

19. Warriorfansnc93

That is a good analogy. The difference though is that Speedy is better than Bimbo Coles. nuff said.

20. Mister Jennings

Mister Jennings JBB JustBBall Member

But Fisher's main attribute is a hard nosed, on the ball defender, I could post up and push around BJ armstrong, plus I feel like BJ didn't want to be here.