DerMarr Johnson is now a Grizzlie!

Discussion in 'Memphis Grizzlies' started by Voodoo Child, Jul 4, 2003.

1. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "truemaster14":</div><div class="quote_post">the grizzlies are so talented, why cant they make the playoffs? .</div>

It called being in the western conference!!!

2. Truemaster14

Truemaster14 JBB JustBBall Member

A team that talented should be able to make the playoffs under any circumstance.

3. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

It isn't that talented compared to the other west teams...considering the 9th place team has a trio of francis,mobley and ming....grizzles won't be in the playoffs for quite a while and really only gasol is a real good player on that team.

4. Truemaster14

Miller?Person?Williams?Swift?All of these guys are able to put up at least 12 ppg. So how can you say gasol is the only good player?

5. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "truemaster14":</div><div class="quote_post">the grizzlies are so talented, why cant they make the playoffs? you have miller,battier,swift,gasol,person,williams,bell,jones, and a great passer and leader in knight. You guys definately have a shot at the playoffs because your so deep.</div>Our problems are youth, no real center, a weak zone defense, and a weak frontcourt. All of the players you just named with the exception of Knight and Person are young guys who are just learning the game. They have been making progress though. Stromile Swift started some games this year and Jason Williams finished second in the league in assists. But right now we have more potentially great players than actual great ones.

The Grizzlie's defense is the worst thing about them. They have always been in the bottom 5 or 10 for opponents scoring. That is why they drafted Bell and Jones. West thinks they can help out on the defensive end. Pau Gasol has no defensive skills and Mike Miller is one of the worst defensemen in the league. Our only upside on defense is Shane Battier. Shane is a great defender. He dives for balls, sets picks, and does the dirty work.

Their absence of a true center is a true problem. Pretty much all of the Western playoff teams have a dominate natural Center. The Grizzlies have two Power Forwards, Lorenzen Wright and Stromile Swift, who are trying to play Center every night and usually do a bad job of it. This year in Free Agency Jerry West has been making a strong move to get Rasho Nesterovic. If we get him I think we have a great chance of making the playoffs next season.

We have Pau Gasol and Lorenzen Wright downlow, so how is our frontcourt weak? I didn't mean it was weak talent wise, I meant it was weak size wise. Pau Gasol is a skinny stick figure who gets thrown around like a rag doll on both defense and offense. His only upside is his unstoppable hook shot. He has all but mastered it. Lorenzen Wright may have big pecks, but he is only 6-10 and compared to other Centers his pecks aren't that big.

So there you have it. Four reasons why the Grizzlies might not make the playoffs next season, but keep in mind that it is still very possible. The team has been improving ever since they came to Memphis. Last season they set a franchise record for amount of wins in a season.

6. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "truemaster14":</div><div class="quote_post">Miller?Person?Williams?Swift?All of these guys are able to put up at least 12 ppg. So how can you say gasol is the only good player?</div>

I said real good player...read my post..person isn't that good...only a three-point shooter...swift isn't all that..has talent but doesn't know what to do with it...miller? very inconsistant..and has back problems.every week it seems..comparing it to the west playoff teams..it isn't all that talented.

7. Truemaster14

I think you guys will be starting swift at center next year. His athleticism and long arms let him get away with his lack of size at that position.

8. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

swift at center would get murdered in the west...with his size..

9. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "allnet":</div><div class="quote_post">It isn't that talented compared to the other west teams...considering the 9th place team has a trio of francis,mobley and ming....grizzles won't be in the playoffs for quite a while and really only gasol is a real good player on that team.</div>The Rockets have a great roster, but they are missing team chemistry which is what fuels the Grizzlies to win games. I think that next year Seattle and Utah will make significant drops in the standings thus making it easier for the Grizzlies and their excellent team play to slide into the eigth or even seventh spot.

10. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "allnet":</div><div class="quote_post">swift at center would get murdered in the west...with his size..</div>Since I would basically be restating an earlier post by telling you about Swift, I'll just post this previous post I made about him. I don't think that he is Center material. You are right. He is 6-9 and skinny. And he is on drugs (supposidely).

Stromile was the second choice overall in the 2000 Draft. He should at least be starting right now. If Stromile had stayed in college would he have really benefited from it? He would have been a rookie this year. I think that people give him the benifit of the doubt just based on that fact. He is young and he hasn't had many opportunities. Or has he? Stromile plays in sperts. He is far from consistant. He said in an interview this year that the reason for this was because some days he just doesn't feel like playing as much as other days. This could be translated into the fact that he has no motivation and a weak work ethic. I think that Jason Williams was that way before he came to Memphis. Now that Hubbie got a hold of him he has become quite the polished player. I just hope that Stromile can make the same turn around. Hubbie seemed to be getting to Stromile towards the end of the season, but then he went cold again. In my mind he is no question mark. I am sold on him being an inconsistant backup and nothing more.

11. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

sonics will be in the hunt for 8th..so will warriors...the best i can memphis finishing is 10th or 11th....rockets with JVG will be alot better..ming is his 2nd season..and you can't forget the suns....they have a deadly trio...memphis aren't ready for the playoffs yet...they need another star....

swift is on drugs? gasol should play the center spot...

12. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "allnet":</div><div class="quote_post"><div class="quote_poster">Quoting "truemaster14":</div><div class="quote_post">Miller?Person?Williams?Swift?All of these guys are able to put up at least 12 ppg. So how can you say gasol is the only good player?</div>

I said real good player...read my post..person isn't that good...only a three-point shooter...swift isn't all that..has talent but doesn't know what to do with it...miller? very inconsistant..and has back problems.every week it seems..comparing it to the west playoff teams..it isn't all that talented.</div>Again, I agree with you. To survive in the West you need two things, a low post presence and a true All-Star Franchise Player. Pau Gasol has skills, but he is weak, skinny, and will never be an All-Star or Franchise player because of his size. The Grizzlies need to trade Gasol for an All-Star or someone with All-Star potential and size.

13. Truemaster14

from march 5th-12th stromile swift averaged 21.8 ppg, 11.4 rpg, and 3.8 bpg. In all of those games he started at C. So I think its safe to say he can pla C in this league.

14. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "allnet":</div><div class="quote_post">sonics will be in the hunt for 8th..so will warriors...the best i can memphis finishing is 10th or 11th....rockets with JVG will be alot better..ming is his 2nd season..and you can't forget the suns....they have a deadly trio...memphis aren't ready for the playoffs yet...they need another star....

swift is on drugs? gasol should play the center spot...</div>I don't think the Sonics can make it without a good Point Guard running their team. They might suprise me though. I don't really expect the Grizzlies to make the playoffs this season either, but if they did then I wouldn't be suprise.

Swift supposidely got on drugs in Vancouver. He was a beast at LSU and he hasn't been the same ever since. Gasol tried playing Center, but the experiment was ultimately a failure. He got pushed around.

15. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

I don't like to compare player stats in a certain month..thats just how it works full time...

if grizzles had got this 2nd pick..then they would have an amazing future..gasol and darko could be amazing....you need two allstars to be a playoff team in the west...thats just the way it is...sadly...it is just a high level

16. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "truemaster14":</div><div class="quote_post">from march 5th-12th stromile swift averaged 21.8 ppg, 11.4 rpg, and 3.8 bpg. In all of those games he started at C. So I think its safe to say he can pla C in this league.</div>Swift is not a complete player. He plays in streaks. He is very inconsistant. The drugs do that to his body. He said in an interview once, "I don't know what my problem is. Sometimes I just feel like playing and sometimes I don't." I never expect him to average 21.8 ppg at a consistant rate.

I am going to fireworks, I'll argue more later.

17. Truemaster14

All young players are inconsistent but he will get over it and become a solid player.

18. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "allnet":</div><div class="quote_post">I don't like to compare player stats in a certain month..thats just how it works full time...

if grizzles had got this 2nd pick..then they would have an amazing future..gasol and darko could be amazing....you need two allstars to be a playoff team in the west...thats just the way it is...sadly...it is just a high level</div>Imagine if we got one pick higher. LeBron and Pau would lead us to the Conference Finals. Then again, LeBron is still a mystery in my eyes. I want to see him play at a NBA level. Do you think Darko is better? I hope he is, because I'm a huge Pistons fan.

19. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "truemaster14":</div><div class="quote_post">All young players are inconsistent but he will get over it and become a solid player.</div>Stromile is a fourth year player. He should grow up and put down the marijuanna. He is always going to A)backup B)be inconsistant C)smoke illegal substances. Stats don't tell his whole story. He is lazy, inconsistant, and on drugs. That's his story.

20. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "Spartanfan2003":</div><div class="quote_post"><div class="quote_poster">Quoting "allnet":</div><div class="quote_post">I don't like to compare player stats in a certain month..thats just how it works full time...

if grizzles had got this 2nd pick..then they would have an amazing future..gasol and darko could be amazing....you need two allstars to be a playoff team in the west...thats just the way it is...sadly...it is just a high level</div>Imagine if we got one pick higher. LeBron and Pau would lead us to the Conference Finals. Then again, LeBron is still a mystery in my eyes. I want to see him play at a NBA level. Do you think Darko is better? I hope he is, because I'm a huge Pistons fan.</div>

It's hard to say but i think james and darko will be very good NBA players..but it is hard to tell....have to wait and see how it plans out...