Free Agent Derrick Jones to Portland

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by illmatic99, Nov 20, 2020.

1. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Been saying for the last two years that this team was too soft. They get pushed around and they don't stand up to guys punking them.

Maybe now we will see some people actually get in a skirmish and respond when the game gets chippy. That was one thing you could depend on ET doing. He was going to have your back on the court.

Tired of watching Dame get thrown to the ground and the rest of the players standing there like nothing happened. Last year without Nurk or Collins on the court was ugly in this regard.

We know Covington will push back. We have seen Nurk and Zach push back. We know Kanter stands in there. Sounds like Jones will be present. Tough defensive wing defender that is young with some room to grow.

BBert, SlyPokerDog, riverman and 3 others like this.
  2. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Dwight Howard didn't space the floor. LeBron got Tristan Thompson an 80 million deal, I'd expect Herrell returns to prebubble form when talk was of him earning close to 20mil per

3. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Dwight could actually defend against Jokic. And you think Harrell CAN space the floor?

4. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Bowman, Jones, and Collins are basically the same age. As 23-year olds, you could almost consider them rookies.

5. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    We shall see. Schröder's first good year was playing with Chris Paul. He was unceremoniously dumped by the Hawks. Harrell is empty numbers - he's a poor defender and he can't shoot. Wes is older and worse than Danny Green.

Lakers are good but they didn't get better. If anything they got worse. They're going to miss Rondo probably most of all. Schröder may LOOK like Rondo but he's no Rondo.

1 Eye Jack and RR7 like this.
  6. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    Isn't this what we did with Curry?

7. kjironman1

The guy plays above the rim. He will not be sitting in the corner IMO. Unlike the other poster who thinks he will. Jones gives them a huge back door cut and oop opportunity. Anyone cheating will pay at the rim for a dunk. He also will finish when anywhere close to the rim. The drive and dish will be money.
    Anyone who thinks Stotts cannot move the offense in those directions isn't paying attention. The Blazers did it with Pat Con, Layman and they did it with Harkless. I agree Jones needs to sharpen up his 3 point shooting though. If he does he will be a steal.

Now do we want to talk about the defensive side? Or are we just gonna bash him for poor three point shooting?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  8. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Add Nas, Ant and hopefully Wenyen to that group and we have a lot of young talent. Obviously the three that you mentioned have proved more than these three.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  9. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

hehe

riverman and HailBlazers like this.
  10. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Despite the fact that Jones Jr. is often tasked with guarding the opposing team’s power forwards, the 6-foot-6 player recently stated that he has never felt outmatched.

“None. None at all,” Jones Jr. said when asked if he has ever felt overwhelmed in any of his power matchups.

“They bleed blood just like I bleed blood. I ain’t got no fear for no man.”

11. kjironman1

Anything above 33% would make him worth every penny.

12. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Bazemore is 8 years older. That's a big difference in terms of whether a player is fully developed or not.

I don't know much about Jones... but ESPN has his as the #9 free agent available. Harrell was 20 and Crowder was 22, as a point of comparison for guys mentioned earlier in this thread. (Wood, who was also mentioned in this thread and #4 in ESPN's list, got $41m over three years; Gallinari was #8 and got $61.5 over three, so a different level of salary than Jones got and not reasonable either/or examples.)

Also, his 3 point shooting has been bad... t might never get better. But he shot 77% from the line last year, which was a significant improvement over the year before (which was the first year he started shooting 3's)... given his age and that he's a good free throw shooter, him becoming a decent perimeter shooter doesn't seem crazy to me.

Finally: almost everyone other than folks on this board think it was a good (or better) deal for Portland. I hope they're right, and I'm not sure we could have expected much more improvement than we've got over the last week or so. I am much more excited than I was after last offseason, for sure.

Eastoff, mook, maxiep and 13 others like this.
  13. kjironman1

Gary Trent?

14. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

I thought Stotts was a bad coach though because he couldn’t make guys do things like pass and defend and rebound. But he could make Evan Turner shoot threes? Interesting

RickyJoe likes this.
  15. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

At least this looks very promising

RickyJoe, Eastoff, mook and 10 others like this.
  16. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Yikes... totally overlooked the best of them.

kjironman1 likes this.
  17. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

that was his point

and where is the evidence that Jones is a better defender than Aminu or Harkless?

18. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

It’s especially devastating in pick-and-roll, when the man guarding Jones — stationed in the corner — has to choose between helping on the big rolling the rim and staying attached off the ball. “They go out to help on the roll, and I step up and get a lob,” Jones says. “They don’t help, my teammate get a bucket. Either way, you gotta make a decision, either you leave me or not. The choice is theirs.”

It’s a snap decision every NBA wing has to make several times a game no matter who they’re playing. The difference with Jones is that his lethal closing speed puts him in the corner and above the rim almost at the same time. Bam Adebayo, the all-star center who has found him for a bushelful of alley-oops this year, described the Jones baseline cut as a blur.

“He’s just one of those guys that can get to the rim faster than anybody I’ve ever seen,” Adebayo says. “You can throw it anywhere above the rim and he’ll go get it.”

It is said that elite three-point shooters have gravity — they receive constant, close attention wherever they go, which spreads the defense for other offensive action. Jones isn’t known as a shooter — he’s made about a quarter of his attempts from behind the arc — so he has deployed his forgettable marksmanship into a kind of anti-gravity. He’s mastered the art of disappearing.

“I can’t give away my tactics, but I just read the defense,” he says.
    ——

I can already a Nurk and Jones two man game.

Further, Eastoff, GoBlazersGo and 8 others like this.
  19. 1 Eye Jack

1 Eye Jack Well-Known Member

Vice President for Display company
    Great post think we’ve all fallen into the 3pt shooting but its easy to guard players who just sit at the 3 pt line. Something I liked about Harkless. Movement,passing And offensive rebounding beats defenses that trap!

riverman and kjironman1 like this.
  20. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

Yeah but he can’t make a three so this sucks

kjironman1 likes this.