Free Agent Derrick Jones to Portland

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by illmatic99, Nov 20, 2020.

1. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Crash predates Gerald Henderson but he was the guy before him...

2. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Now THIS guy is known for his defense:

3. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Fair enough... I thought for sure you were saying Butler was and therefore it would have to mean that CJ was as well. This makes much more sense.

4. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

My difference on this and i do agree with you that you absolutely cannot expect him to shoot better because he is in Portland but none of those players were anywhere near as dynamic around the rim.
    You are correct. No way we can expect a player to increase 8% on threes. But i disagree Aminu got anything like the same looks. Absolutely no way he got the same looks in Orlando. There is absolutely no way DJJ got the looks Aminu got here in Miami either. Dame draws a double every time and CJ must be covered Aminu was WIDE open over and over again. It was comical how open he was. Teams begged him to shoot. They sagged so far off him they clogged passing lanes and when the ball was in his hands he only had two options. Shoot the three or try to drive. As soon as he put the ball on the floor "Turnover". With Aminu on the court teams had essentially a 5 on 4 advantage on the Blazers unless Aminu was making shots. When Aminu made 35% the Blazers won.
    DJJ will not be left open like Aminu. If he is he will drive and throw it down on them. If they collapse he will dish to Nurk or Covington. If they pull off Dame we all know what will happen there. Same with CJ.
    You simply cannot compare DJJ to Aminu or ET or even Bazemore for that matter.
    I'm gonna hold my expectations and see how the kid and Stotts work. But i'm willing to go the wait and see route.

5. kjironman1

Playoffs were not a good look for Jones. First the neck injury and concussion protocol then the ankle injury. He was never 100%.

Darkwebs likes this.
  6. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

I mean, I'll give him a chance. Just have a feeling that if he gets stuck on the corner as a spot-up shooter people that like this signing will blame Olshey for getting a guy that cant shoot instead of Stotts for putting him in the corner.

Also I was talking about DJJ when I said he got great 3pt looks in Miami.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    PHXBlazer1, kjironman1 and Hoopguru like this.
  7. kjironman1

Well i guess we got no choice but to give him a chance. Glad to have him and yep we can hope for the best. I agree also. Olshey will look bad but Stotts will look even worse if he plays this guy and makes him sit in the corner and wait.
    There are so many things he could do different and my personal hope is he builds a second team that is a run and gun fast break nightmare with a couple of the young guns he has available now. You know a sparkplug complete change of pace when the team is struggling or playing listless. It happens to all clubs but deep teams have a way out of it.
    IMO and yes this is just an opinion. If Stotts cannot make this team work now with the diversity and talent he has he should be held accountable. Of course assuming they don't have a huge injury or string of them again. No i won't say his name and injury in the same sentence. But even with a couple injuries they have depth this year.

8. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Can we blame Stotts for being dumb and not changing with the strengths and weaknesses of his players if he does that?

9. kjironman1

NOPE! No one is allowed to blame Stotts. You know this?

Did i need to use green here?

10. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    He’s a poor mans Josh Smith.

Let’s hope he can develop a jumper. His perimeter defense is top notch.

11. BonesJones

Kinda hard to build a run and gun team with Collins/Melo and Kanter. If C.J. is running the bench unit (which he should, not enough minutes to go around otherwise) then Stotts will really have to implore him to change. Trent isn't much of a ball-handler either. DJJ is really the only guy built to run on that second unit, so I feel like it's unlikely, although I hope that Trent can add to his ball-handling ability and C.J. might be willing to push more with that group.

Darkwebs likes this.
  12. BonesJones

100%. Based on the past, I'm not expecting much of that.

Buffalo Custard likes this.
  13. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

You can run with about anyone if can control the boards and your guards don't come back to get ball from the rebounder like they use to do. Kanter and Zach actually can run and so can Trent. In the preseason games there going try use Simons as the 2nd unit PG to see if can handle it and if he can that unit can definitely can run. Plus it takes might mind sense that what there going to do.

calvin natt likes this.
  14. kjironman1

That's what i see also. Kanter cleans the glass pretty well and Zach has never been afraid of running. Simons and Jones both run really well and Trent can always follow up and wait for the kick out to a three if need be but has been the one player looking to run.
    Trent is a good defender and gets his hands on passes. DJJ does as well. Tipped balls and long rebounds turn into highlight reel dunks with either Jones or Simons. Zack brings blocks and energy Kanter is a good passing big and he runs the floor as well as most any big out there. Covington doesn't have a problem running and Dame can run but usually drops back for a three. Nurk passes out of rebounds pretty well.

The main point is defense creates offensive opportunity and fast breaks. Trent, DJJ, Covington and Zack bring defense. The running game will go up a notch.

GoBlazersGo and Hoopguru like this.
  15. kjironman1

Kanter rebounds. Nurk passes well. You forgot about Covington.

16. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
  17. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

Is that Neil on the Phone? Haha

GoBlazersGo likes this.
  18. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

“Running” teams in basketball have little to do with the actual running/speed etc. You have to 1) rebound 2) move the ball up court 3) have spacing. If you mentality is to run, you can do it. Of course it’d be nice if everyone ran like John Wall but pass the ball and speed doesn’t matter

Buffalo Custard likes this.
  19. Buffalo Custard

Buffalo Custard Well-Known Member

"Pressure is on Stotts." Bingo. It isn't that Jones is a bad player - it's that Stotts is NOT flexible and Jones is NOT his prefered type of player. What are the odds Stotts actually puts him in a position to succeed?

HailBlazers, TBpup and AmirIcon like this.
  20. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

I really think Neils decision to shake things up and take some risks put pressure on Stotts, not just because he has more talent, but Neils butt is on the line with all these decisions. Neil isn’t going to sit and watch DJJ or whoever else misused or benched. Not going to happen. This might be the season that makes a lot of fans happy one way or the other.