Detroit Pistons' Stanley Johnson curtly answers why he was right pick over Justise Winslow

Discussion in 'Detroit Pistons' started by truebluefan, Jun 27, 2015.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Stanley Johnson forever is destined to be compared to Justise Winslow, the player the Pistons passed on to draft him at No. 8 in the NBA draft.

As for why the Pistons should have taken him over Winslow, the Arizona small forward had a curt answer late Thursday.

"Because I'm the best player in the draft," Johnson said.

It didn't actually come down to those two small forwards, the Pistons' greatest position of need, president-coach Stan Van Gundy said.

"I understand the comparisons to Justise, but that's not really the comparison that it came down to for us," Van Gundy said, suggesting that Winslow wasn't in the Pistons' top nine.

Johnson, a one-year college player at Arizona, said he expected to make a major contribution immediately.

"I think with the team they have now, we can be a playoff team right away," he said. "I can be a missing piece if I produce the way I know I can. It was a no-brainer for me and I'm super happy to be a part of this organization.

"I'm so happy that they believe in me as a player. They had plenty of great options at the eight spot and could have even traded up, but I'm happy that they stayed at that spot and believed in me."

- See more at:http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2015/06/detroit_pistons_stanley_johnso.html