Did asswipe AV just call up Glass?

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by kreidertime, Mar 6, 2017.

1. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

AV would never need to be fired if we had a GM that would step in and tell him, you are going to play some tough players because your philosophy hasn't won jack shit. He's stubborn like all coaches and needs to be told to do certain things by a savy GM. Period.

2. NYR2009

NYR2009 Member

That's right! AV will not win 16th. Because 2011 Boston Bruins realized that if they battle on talent alone then they stand no chance of winning. Vancouver was leading 3 games to 2 in that series. Boston injured half the team. Some injured continued to play and I think two key players were out. Boston did their job in that series and found a way to win even though they did not deserve it and Vancouver was way better team than Boston. Currently there are only two teams that can win the cup without physical play: Chicago and Pitt. Rangers are not talented enough to win. I expect Rangers to lose in 6 games to either (MTL, PITT or BJs).

My uncle lives in Vancouver and big Canucks fan. He was disgusted with AV after that series. Now are in the same shoes.

3. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

I didnt see you mention Tim Thomas' .967 SV% in the finals, which had more to do with VAN losing than anything else. If Tim Thomas doesnt play like that, VAN still wins despite all the things you pointed out (a lot of which I happen to agree with). He was unreal in that series. It was one of the best goalie performances of all time.

Nobody is going to argue that Boston wasnt a tough team, or that the Canucks didnt get pushed around. Both of those statements are obviously true. But to sit here and definitively claim that AV can never and will never win the cup, when he's already been to the finals twice and gotten as close as possible once, is just irrational. The way some in the fanbase talk about him you'd think he was some bum ass minor league coach who fell into an interim gig and we're just counting down the days until a real coach is hired.

It's true he may never do it, and it's true this year's team more than likely won't do it, but he's a damn good coach and much better than any other option out there. Nobody can even name someone they'd like to see take over. And even if we did hire someone else, like I've said, the same people will run him out of town within 2 years when he doesnt play the latest prospect everyone has a hard on for.

4. Stepupstepan

Stepupstepan Well-Known Member

The team is getting worse as his tenure continues. You are basing your opinion on his first two years. He should thank MSL in his first season anyway for taking them to the finals.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  5. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Half our overpaid defensemen suck and the team as a whole can't cover well around the net. The Rangers don't get half the prime scoring chances others do. It's not the coaching, the team is just generally slow moving and slow thinking.

6. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

A good coach doesn't play immobile defenseman man to man when they can't stay with anyone leaving open shooters 5 feet in front of hank all day instead of a zone which they can compete better with. This coach has had good personnel just completely misuses them. Never sticks up for his players ever and refs have no respect for him and hurts the team. The excuse that there is no one out there that can do better is ridiculous. I'll bet Gorton knows replacement coaches that just need the chance. This teams lack of toughness guarantees another first round exit this season most likely against montreal. Team needs a coaching change

7. NYR2009

NYR2009 Member

AV plays favorites. He has to play whoever plays best at the time. Girardi has no business of being on the first pair with McD for few years now. There are many examples that we all can give and by now all of us know all these examples. Torts played top six who played best at the time and top 9. Obviously Torts was overdoing it. I wanted Sullivan to become a head coach. I think he has a good balance that we need. How about Messier? Give him a chance already. If it doesn't work out then it doesn't.

8. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Meanwhile the team is having an excellent and likely 50+ win season. But yes everyone and everything sucks.

9. kreidertime

Meanwhile, certain fans can't get it in their thick heads much like last year that this team is not built for the playoffs. Christ, half the team would be out for the remainder of the playoffs if they ever managed to beat Washington. They just maul the Rangers.

10. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Then don't watch. Seems like the most logical solution.

11. kreidertime

It's to the point now that I don't wonder if the Rangers will get an injury vs. the Craps. It's how many they will get.

12. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

Personally, I think you guys are both right.

Don't think this team is built for a long playoff run. Poor at face-offs, lack size and grit upfront and on D, our possession #'s are horrific, and we always seem to struggle to score in the playoffs. So I get that and acknowledge that.

Where I agree with Mess is what is your end game here "Ranger fans" who come on this board and do nothing but complain and whine about everything non-stop. I mean all you guys do is knock everything and say everyone sucks as Mess said. What's the point of that?

To me acknowledge this team may not be built for the playoffs. Understand we could be out early for the second straight year, then move on and enjoy the ride. What is the point of complaining about how much everything and everyone sucks every single day...I truly don't get that.

We clearly can beat Montreal or Ottawa in round 1, and we will play one of those teams (as of today we'd play Ottawa), and we clearly can lose to Montreal or Ottawa in round 1. If we get by round 1 we clearly can beat Boston or Montreal or Ottawa or Toronto or TB in round 2. And we clearly can lose to Boston or Montreal or Ottawa or Toronto or TB in round 2. That's the reality.

This years team is clearly better and much deeper than last years team. Last year we had about a 2% chance of beating the red hot Pens in round 1, that was reality. This year we'll be a coin flip with Montreal or Ottawa, or any team from the Atlantic. So this year we can make the ECF for sure I think. And we can get beat round 1 for sure I think. We are a total flip of a coin as we sit here on March 12th (maybe a very slight underdog). Last year we were worse, and huge underdogs against the Pens. This year is different.

So to watch, and come on here, and non-stop every day rip everyone and everything is pointless. Must be a miserable life as a "Ranger fan" to feel the need to do that every day instead of enjoying the ride right now. Everyone knows how you all feel guys. And guess what...if we are done early we will have PLENTY of time (months) for you all to gloat and say I told you so. You'll get your chance in April to do it, so for now watch, enjoy, and see if maybe the team can surprise and win a round or 2, which they clearly can this season...just like they clearly can lose round 1 to Montreal or Ottawa as well.

I agree this team is not built for the playoffs, so we are in lockstep kreider, but I don't see the need to be angry about it and post day after day how awful everything is like you and most "Ranger fans" on this board do constantly. I will enjoy the ride, and if it ends early again there will be plenty of time to bury everyone then.

13. Ranger71

Hi there Chuckles. :)

14. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

AV has always been focused on winning regular season games, he leads all NHL coaches in wins in the last 10 years. He took over a Rangers team that Torts also had playoff success with and took them where Torts fell short. Since then as AV has put his touch on the roster the team has gone in the wrong direction postseason. To be one game from hoisting the Cup to getting outmuscled by Tampa and then even moreso by Pitt the following year isn't progress. Running your team ragged in search of a President's trophy to enter the playoffs beaten up and tired is a selfish endeavor. AV is a very good coach, just needs a Cup to become a great coach.

What I find frustrating as a fan is when possible solutions to the Rangers shortcomings may be in Hartford like a Graves but AV refuses to even give him a look. Last year Boyle got hurt at the end of the season and AV was forced to call up Skjei who immediately showed himself to be NHL ready. On the plus side I like Smith. I would prefer his salary to the king's ransom Shattenkirk will want.

15. kreidertime

I think Shattenkirk will take considerably less to play here as he's made it pretty clear it's his dream to play for the Rangers.

16. Ranger71

You can't really complain about losing to TB in 7 which is pretty much making the SC final, or last year just being overmatched by Pitt. It's not Vigs fault Sather signed Girardi for 200 light years and extended Glass instead of looking elsewhere at that point for better 4th line help. Plus they were bound to take a few steps back last year. I don't know how you can get on AV for much he's done here.

RangersFan likes this.
  17. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Well-Known Member

Seriously!!! Does it get any more Chuck-ish than "I think you guys are both right"???

If you think the Rangers can put together a legit Stanley Cup contending team when there are teams trotting out players like Crosby/Malkin, Ovechkin/Oshie (or Backstrom), Kane/Toews, Burns/Pavelski you are going to be disappointed. There are too many teams that have way more top level talent with REALLY good supporting players all through the lineup. The Rangers can be mildly to moderately competitive against those teams in a 7 game series but it would take heroic performances from several players to make any real noise. Will be fun to watch though! Start of the playoffs about 30 days away now!

18. Ranger71

We do have Washingtons mental number a little bit bit they probably have just too much with adding Shatt. I think we should hope to beat either Ott/Mtl and then face Boston and then a playoff untested Columbus. None of this would be less than 6g minimum and Ottawa would be a real bitch.

19. strudwickisthebest

strudwickisthebest Well-Known Member

This team can't beat suck azz teams, geeze

20. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

Strudssssss not you too man. They just beat a suck ass team last night and are tied for the most wins in the entire league.