Did Darius play us?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Natebishop3, Sep 30, 2008.

1. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    I'm not convinced that we can't appeal for cap relief even if he plays 10 games. His injury was deemed "career ending" because both the team physician and a physician hired by the League saw the same thing: If he continued to play on knees with deteriorating cartilage he risked multiple knee replacements over his lifetime. The bottom line is he can play on his knees, but he's playing on them against the advice of not one, but multiple physicians.

Portland shouldn't be held responsible for his choice to destroy his knee joints.

2. Jack RamsaysPants

Jack RamsaysPants Member

Keep in mind that said target supposedly did a lot of bonding with Coach Nate this summer. Recently there was mention of the 2 of them scouting the Spanish team in Beijing, Noted Target being the only player to go with the coaches and apparently sat with Coach Nate

3. DaRizzle

DaRizzle BLAKER

HCP's avatar sucks!!!
    :hater:

4. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Opening night he will literally RIP off Bynums head! That would have to make ESPN's top 10!

5. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    It's the other way around. We played HIM. All season long, he told us he was ready to play. He wanted to play. But we wanted him gone. So we got someone to say his knee injury was season ending so that we could get rid of him. We played him. He wanted to play and said so many times.

6. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    The Celts have a full roster, I wouldn't be surprised to see Miles waived eventually. If I were Boston, I'd make room for Bill Walker over Darius.

7. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

I'd say that's possible if it weren't for the fact that independently appointed physicians (approved by both the league and players' association) said his injury was career ending, couple that with the fact that more than one person outside of the team had observed him "practicing" and noted that he could barely jump or would be fine one day and be unable to go the next, etc. and I'd say it's a fair bet that Darius' knees are pretty well shot

If anything I think both sides might have been doing a little dancing around on this issue, with Darius probably wanting to play, but not really being physically there, and the team clearly ready to move on and wanting to get rid of him.

Frankly I won't be convinced that he's back and ready to go until I see it with my own two eyes.

8. Magnum

Magnum Member

The celtics added Cassell back, and I was reading yesterday about PJ Brown. Brown says he's not coming back, but Ainge says there's always a spot for him, even if he comes back in February. For that to be true, the C's would have to cut someone, or leave an empty roster spot all season. Neither of those meshes with having Darius Miles on the team.

I really really want that cap space.

9. SodaPopinski

SodaPopinski Tigers love pepper

I seriously would laugh my ass off if Darius tripped in practice and fell into KG or Paul Pierce and knocked them out for a few months.

I never wish for injury on another player, but that would be karma kicking Danny Ainge square in the nuts.

I still can't get over the fact the little weasel wasted a roster spot on his squad just so he could potentially stick it to another team's cap flexibility. PATHETIC.

-Pop

10. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    Why would he? What would he have to gain?

11. drexlersdad

drexlersdad SABAS

yeah the cassell signing puts more pressure on ainge to make a decision.

anyone know how many spots they have left as of right now? have they not signed walker yet?

12. DennisRodman

DennisRodman Suspended

Yea, I'm guessing that was somewhat of the case. I mean the team has been moving in a new direction, they didn`t really need Darius. Portland probably knew little teams would be interested in trading for Darius with his knee problems and his big contract.

So the best way to save money is if Darius is deemed medically retired so they don`t have to pay luxury tax on his contract. If Darius stays retired, then they save millions.

13. BlazersBlood

BlazersBlood It's flowing within me.

Darius didn't play anybody. He wanted out of Portland. His parting shots against the media were deserved and he wanted to start fresh. Nothing wrong with that, other than he was collecting $9 million a year to be a professional, but whatever.

14. talman

talman Member

Wow...well said! I'd never considered that point of view but I could absolutely see the Blazers hiring an army of attorneys to fight it and coming out on top.