Did the last two games change your mind?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Natebishop3, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

I'd settle for either one of them becoming average.[/quote]

Aminu's form is still hideous. I'm surprised the ball goes in as much as it does. Turner is a significantly better FT shooter than Aminu and a MUCH better FT shooter than Harkless. So, I hold out hope. His biggest problem is no lift on his shot, and that gets worse the further he gets from the basket. Not something that's impossible to correct.

All those other guys I mentioned had been in the league for years, too and still managed to make huge improvements in their 3-point shooting in their late 20s and early 30s. Adding, or improving a 3-point shot later in a player's career is not without precedent.

I'm not seeing the flashes defensively you are seeing from Crabbe. He occasionally gets a timely steal by getting his arms in the passing lanes, and that's a good use of his length, but he's an atrocious on ball defender. He stands up too straight and constantly lets his man blow by him. He also seems to have slow reaction time and lacks horizontal quickness. Can he get better? One would hope, because he's pretty bad right now.

As I said initially, it wouldn't break my heart to see either, or both, moved to help get us under the tax threshold. Crabbe's contract is bigger, so the savings is greater, plus he's younger and I think we would get more (or have to give up less) in return.

BNM

2. AquaXI

AquaXI Well-Known Member

I don't know draft value points but how high can we climb with 3 first rounders? Top 5? With Nurkic, Dame, McColum in place don't you think one top 5 guy with the backups that we have can consistently go places?

3. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

I will depend on where our picks end up, and how many "points" other GMs think they're worth, but from the table created by the author, our three picks are worth roughly the same as the 8th pick.

Still good luck convincing Vivek and Vlade that our three picks are worth as much as their one. The Kings like having high lottery picks. They had 8 top 8 picks in 8 years and Boogie was the only one they got right.

And, would we really be better off with the 8th pick than the three we have?

BNM

HailBlazers and AquaXI like this.
  4. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

If you thought that, then you clearly didn't know much about the kind of player Evan Turner is. Frankly still don't.

Orion Bailey and Natebishop3 like this.
  5. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

That wasn't the question.
    Turner's form produces a flat shot. Turner is a decent FT shooter and midrange shooter because flat shots aren't as detrimental the closer you get.

A flat shot is harder and also has less surface area available to go through the hoop. From the arc, that leads to shots either hitting the front rim or the back rim, and if it hits the back rim, the shot is so hard that it has no chance of going in.

. All Aminu and Harkless had to do was make very minor adjustments to their form to get better results.

Crabbe's two steals in the closing seconds of the Houston game weren't flashes?

6. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

Disclaimer, the Aminu is 2017. The Turner is obviously not.

There are obvious issues to both players form, but one shoots how some kids I coach/ref/supervise in middle school do when they're not strong enough to get it to the rim. The other's main issue is hand placement.
    I wouldn't say Aminu is a minor adjustment, as he needs his form completely rebuilt.
    Where Turner needs to move his off hand, and his balanced fixed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  7. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    I'm trying to.

8. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Turner's shot is fugly. I don't see him changing his form. It is what it is. Crabbe is a cool cat; good shooter but I don't see him ever showing the defensive intensity of Turner. Physical tools for defense, sure; mindset and motor, not so much.

Just my two pesos.

9. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

No chance we move into top 5 with those three picks in this draft. Maybe top 10. You need to look at which teams might be willing to trade their picks because they would prefer to have more young players than one better talent.

I don't get people saying those two games convinced them that Napier needs to go, considering he scored almost 30 on average. His overall game is not that great but surely someone who can score is still pretty valuable?

AquaXI likes this.
  10. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

Fugly is right. ET looks like he's shooting a knuckleball......

riverman likes this.