OT Digital Dystopian Dictatorship

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by DUB, Sep 18, 2018.

1. DUB

DUB Da, da da, da dah!

Is this the future for us all?

Police forces are constantly pushing for more, and more surveillance, and unchecked powers. Both sides of politics are too scared of being labelled "soft on crime" to say no. We are all so scared of terrorists, that we are willingly giving up our liberties at a rapid pace. People's public actions are already being judged by the masses on social media.

Are we all going to live in a future where every single tiny detail of our lives is monitored, judged by artificial intelligence, and used to adjust our "social score"? Where this "social score" dictates what we will, and won't be allowed to do? Will this very post itself be used in the future to judge me?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    TorturedBlazerFan and Dougnsalem like this.
  2. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

3. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

I loved The Orville but they stole this episode from Black Mirror:

4. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Well-Known Member

Most people don't give a fuck about privacy if they can exchange it for the delusion of popularity. They spend most their day on Facebook posting pictures of themselves, writing public logs of their activities, and divulging their precise location via GPS (as if anyone besides stalkers and creeps give a shit). Meanwhile that twitchy spaz who owns the company willfully provides whatever else information he can pilfer to the highest bidder. Bothers me a tad.

Lanny likes this.
  5. Dougnsalem

Dougnsalem not barf

Not being a current member of the MASSIVE flock of sheep running around in the US, I find this kinda disturbing....

A conversation between a passenger and an airline has gone viral, largely because people find it intensely creepy.

MacKenzie Fegan went to the airport last week. As with normal flights, she was expecting at some point to present her boarding card in order to get on her plane. However, she found all she had to do was look at a camera, and at no point was asked for her pass.

As convenient as that sounds, she had questions, which she put to the airline, JetBlue, in a now-viral thread.

https://www.iflscience.com/technolo...ut-airport-tech-is-creeping-out-the-internet/

Really, there are too many tweets to post the whole thing here, and have it readable. Check it out, if you want. There's no spam BS on the site.

Where does the line get drawn, with what the Government can do with our information? ESPECIALLY, without our permission. And no, I don't want to hear it's a problem because of Trump, Obama, or whoever like that. It's an uncontrolled Department/Agency overstepping that grey area of what they are "allowed" to do. Big Brother shit, huh?

bodyman5000 and 1 likes this.
  6. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Well that's not fucking creepy at all

Dougnsalem likes this.
  7. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

Look what China is doing with facial recognition. Fucking creepy.

Dougnsalem and bodyman5000 and 1 like this.
  8. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

What are they doing?

Dougnsalem likes this.
  9. EL PRESIDENTE

10. Chris Craig

Damn using it to shame people on giant tv billboards...thats fucked up

11. DUB

DUB Da, da da, da dah!

12. DUB

DUB Da, da da, da dah!

Yep, using technology to repress the Uighur, and starting to roll it out to the rest of the population to enforce conformity.

AI using facial recognition to track your every move, calculate your “social score”, and placing limitations on you based on said score.

I think “The West” should be paying more attention to China than Russia, Australia already is.

13. EL PRESIDENTE

The Chinese are undergoing economic colonization. The are providing infrastructure in places like Africa, South America,etc while also trying to expand their rights in the south China seas area.

Eventually, the whole world will owe the Chinese, and they will own us all

Dougnsalem, bodyman5000 and 1 and DUB like this.
  14. DUB

DUB Da, da da, da dah!

All of the South Pacific also. As you said, building infrastructure (and providing kickbacks to local politicians) and then having that country in their debt (both literally and figuratively) forever.

Australia has tried to counter China by funding infrastructure projects in the South Pacific, but we just don’t have the money to compete.

I think many Westerners think about China in the wrong way. They see Communist China as a single country that has existed for 50 or so years. In reality China is a united continent of countries, similar to Europe, that has existed for thousands of years. They play the long game.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  15. EL PRESIDENTE

16. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    I don't accept that. We are still the dominant economic engine in the world. I predict that in the future the world's economy will be controlled by a conglomeration of countries and China will be a part only if they accept the conditions.
    Of course, all of this is dependent on getting someone both ethical and sane in the White House.

17. EL PRESIDENTE

That's cute.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  18. Dougnsalem

Dougnsalem not barf

I have to apologize. I didn't mean to start a thread, and then bail on it. There was this basketball game that I watched, and it kinda disrupted my normal daily activities for the last 24 hours or so....

SportsAndWhine likes this.
  19. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Not really.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  20. EL PRESIDENTE

Was talking about the notion that China isn't already poised to control the world economy right now.

They are developing the undeveloped countries and making them indebted and dependent on them. They are controlling the world's natural resources by offering "help" to economically challenged economies to "develop" their systems.

They are buying up debt, they are changing international boundaries, they are making islands to maintain these borders.

The problem with china is that they will do whatever the fuck they want and not give a fuck. We can't even build a fucking wall to keep foreign invaders out without someone bitching about it. That's America's downfall, we are so fucking stupid, it impedes our progress.