Rumor Does anyone here know if Portland denied Mr. Olshey termination/severance payments he was due?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by bloggeramg, Dec 4, 2021.

1. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    You can certainly spin this however gets you to your desired narrative. I think it's fortunate that the GMs were able to time travel back to get the ball rolling on this after seeing the travesty with Olshey unfold.

Kano John likes this.
  2. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

personally, I don't give a shit how Olshey was fired. I think there was plenty of fire behind the smoke and I can't recall anybody associated with the Blazers, past or current, who came out in defense of Olshey. Sure seems he was an emperor with no clothes. He should have been fired 5 years ago

I also don't give a shit how it "smells". If Seattle had no basis for the termination, Olshey will sue and it will come out, one way or the other. If Olshey doesn't sue...well, that says something as well. For me, the Vulcans reputation is pretty low so I would not be surprised by anything

but the main thing is: fuck Olshey. If the Vulcans can screw him out of some money I'm all for it. He ripped them off for millions over 9 seasons

3. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

Did everyone go full idiot- this guy isn’t real. Cmon people. Who writes a legit article and says “screw over” Neil Olshey.

illmatic99 likes this.
  4. Duckhook

Duckhook Well-Known Member

I hope you're not getting the impression I want the Blazers to lose their shorts on this. I've grown to not like Olshey for many reasons people on this board have said - the talking down to reporters and fans was my breaking point. I've been an employer for 20 of my 27 years post-graduation from college. I've seen this type of scenario play out both ways and roughly 75% of the time the "wronged" employee received severance or a compensatory judgement if it went to trial (none of these situations were caused by my management firings of employees as I am buttoned up when a dismissal is warranted for cause). It's not up to the Blazers to make public any internal complaint against Olshey, but the for as much animus there is from current and former Blazer employees regarding Olshey, I find it odd not one formal complaint was made to the NBA front office regarding his conduct with the Blazers. I said it in another post, but I think tying his dismissal to the team's lack of progression would have been cleaner than drumming up an "alleged" for cause claim. Sure you would have had to pay a severance of some kind and trust me - Vulcan would never missed it. It's not like we would have taken a salary cap hit or anything.

5. bloggeramg

bloggeramg New Member

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  6. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Neil screwed Neil.

/THREAD

Chris Craig likes this.
  7. riverman

riverman Writing Team

The Blazers have never aired their laundry in public....it's part of the deal when you work there...Casey and Brooke talked about it at length through this process...they had no clue what the details are in the investigation but if Neil felt he was being scapegoated, he'd have taken them to court over it I promise....something he did voided his contract and gave grounds for firing and nobody cares why at this point from a 10 year old Dan Dikau complaint about not being retained on staff.. Nobody is going to paint Olshey as a victim here except....Olshey

8. Haakzilla

Haakzilla Well-Known Member

SEOWebDesignLLC.com
  9. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

His chances are pretty much already killed

10. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Does he want or need to be a GM again? He can presumably afford valet parking wherever he is for the rest of his life.

barfo

SlyPokerDog, Chris Craig and riverman like this.
  11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

My guess is he'd be an agent if he wanted to work again in the biz.

SlyPokerDog and Tince like this.
  12. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    I think it would have to state in his contract that violating the code of conduct would be grounds for firing with cause and without further pay; or would have to be written out as an addendum to the code of conduct. My guess is that Olshey will get most of what he is owed or there will be a lawsuit.

13. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

The entire idea of having a code of conduct included in contracts is if someone violates it their contract is then void. Players have the same provision in there contracts... I don't think you could get rid of a player for code of conduct violations because they were abusive towards team employees but maybe you could.

For sure the press release mentioning that the investigation uncovered violations of the code of conduct means they fired Olshey for cause... there is no other reason they would put that in their statement. They still could have paid Olshey something to go away quietly and maybe we'll never know because both parties will try to put this behind them.

riverman likes this.
  14. barfo

My guess is that the code of conduct is in fact stated in his contract as grounds for termination with cause - they have plenty of lawyers, they would have included it.

barfo

blazerkor and riverman like this.
  15. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I've mentioned it before but they might have settled out of court with the idea Neil doesn't go to court over this...which to me is why it took so long...he probably got some severance but not his full contract salary by any stretch..

HailBlazers and blazerkor like this.
  16. Kano John

Kano John Start 'em young!

Retired
    And speculates on a sports web forum as to the legal ramifications of "what if" scenarios.

Haakzilla likes this.
  17. barfo

That seems plausible to me. After all, if he didn't want some $$, he could have just resigned and potentially avoided the whole investigation/termination.

barfo

riverman likes this.
  18. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Quick is right here (not saying olshey is guilty or innocent, but the irony is great)

As long as you don’t like someone, it doesn’t really matter whether they’re guilty or not.

19. SlyPokerCat

SlyPokerCat cats rool dogs drool

Maybe Highkin can't investigate because he is too busy being shoved in lockers and bullied by your request. Because, you know, you're so cool.

20. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

100%. I wish the Blazers had been more transparent on all issues.

And if Olshey believes in his "take our word for it" philosophy, he won't challenge the proprietary results of the investigation the led to his firing. No way he'll talk out of both sides of his mouth.