Does Melo deserve a spot?

Discussion in 'Denver Nuggets' started by purpleb0n9, Jan 26, 2005.

1. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting purpleb0n9:</div><div class="quote_post">I've put Nowitzki on my West bench, Brand is having a worse season statistically than last season and he didn't play in LA, Shard sort of cancels each other out with Ray Allen (who made my bench), Shawn Marion has had to share stats with Stoudemire (who made my bench) and two Suns (and Nash) are enough on the All Star team,</div>

Rashard Lewis and Shawn Marion are playing better, and they're on better teams. That's all that matters to me. I'm not going to give Melo a pity vote just because there aren't any other Nuggets on the Allstar team.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">forget Lamar Odom... he's failed to even reach his lowly scoring average (14+ pts) in 3 of the 6 games Kobe's out, Boozer isn't consistent and his team had a worse record than the Nuggets,</div>

Personally, I think Odom and Boozer are better than Melo, but I don't think any of them stand out as being more deserving than the others to make the team.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Webber has definitely improved from last season but isn't he hasn't returned into his old form yet, and Stojakovic is the strongest candidate here either him or Melo should get in.</div>

Webber's "old form" was MVP-caliber, though, and an 80% Webber is still much better than Carmelo Anthony. I'd easly put him ahead of Melo, but between Stojakovic and Melo its somewhat of a wash right now.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">But ask yourself, who do the fans come to see? LeBron vs. Stojakovic? Or LeBron vs. Melo? </div>

I'd come to see LeBron vs. Kobe or LeBron vs. McGrady. Melo isn't anywhere near the level to make his matchup with LeBron compelling.

Nowitzki, Staudemire, Marion, Lewis, and Webber are all clearly more deserving than Melo. And there's only so many positions on the bench you can fill up. You also need room for Nash and Ray Allen. Those right there are my 7 reserves.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">KG, Duncan are starters, Marion, Webber, Brand are explained above, and Maggette scores the majority of his points from the ft line. It's no fun seeing some player attempt 10-15 fts and be named MVP for scoring 23 pts.</div>

In an Allstar game, teams are going to be fouling nearly as much. Maggette would be much more exciting to watch than Melo, imo.

2. TheMegaGreg

TheMegaGreg JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting purpleb0n9:</div><div class="quote_post">Maggette scores the majority of his points from the ft line. It's no fun seeing some player attempt 10-15 fts and be named MVP for scoring 23 pts.</div>

What are you talking about? It is a TALENT to be able to get to the freethrow line.

Name FGA
    1 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar* 28307
    2 Karl Malone 26210
    3 Michael Jordan 24537
    4 Elvin Hayes* 24272
    5 John Havlicek* 23930
    6 Wilt Chamberlain* 23497
    7 Dominique Wilkins 21589
    8 Alex English* 21036
    9 Hakeem Olajuwon 20991
    10 Elgin Baylor* 20171
    11 Oscar Robertson* 19620
    12 Patrick Ewing 19241
    13 Moses Malone* 19225
    14 Jerry West* 19032
    15 Hal Greer* 18811
    16 Robert Parish* 17914
    17 Clyde Drexler* 17673
    18 Larry Bird* 17334
    19 Gary Payton 17060
    20 Bob Pettit* 16872
    21 Reggie Miller 16780

Are you saying that these players were also at the same level as Maggette, and thus lower than Melo? Yeah, you're probably right, melo definantly deserves to start over bums like Michael Jordan and Karl Malone. Definantly. (Note" Sarcasim is in abundance)

I don't know if Melo has heard, but there are two baskets on the court, one you score on and one your defend. How about playing a bit of defense? You can average 20 points, and thats good, but to be great you have to change the game on both sides of midcourt.

Melo gardly deserves to play in the Rookie-Sophmore challenge, than alone the all-star game. He reminds me of another overrated player who wears the number 15...

3. jbb94ftOfTherapy

jbb94ftOfTherapy JBB JustBBall Member

Pardon me, i guess none of you have ever had a bad season. But im sure all of you know what its like having the whole basketball world attack you and when you do something spectacular, nobody gives a flying F...and maybe you missed his point MegaGreg, he said its no FUN to watch a player at the line all night.

4. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TheMegaGreg:</div><div class="quote_post">What are you talking about? It is a TALENT to be able to get to the freethrow line.

Name FGA
    1 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar* 28307
    2 Karl Malone 26210
    3 Michael Jordan 24537
    4 Elvin Hayes* 24272
    5 John Havlicek* 23930
    6 Wilt Chamberlain* 23497
    7 Dominique Wilkins 21589
    8 Alex English* 21036
    9 Hakeem Olajuwon 20991
    10 Elgin Baylor* 20171
    11 Oscar Robertson* 19620
    12 Patrick Ewing 19241
    13 Moses Malone* 19225
    14 Jerry West* 19032
    15 Hal Greer* 18811
    16 Robert Parish* 17914
    17 Clyde Drexler* 17673
    18 Larry Bird* 17334
    19 Gary Payton 17060
    20 Bob Pettit* 16872
    21 Reggie Miller 16780

Are you saying that these players were also at the same level as Maggette, and thus lower than Melo? Yeah, you're probably right, melo definantly deserves to start over bums like Michael Jordan and Karl Malone. Definantly. (Note" Sarcasim is in abundance)

I don't know if Melo has heard, but there are two baskets on the court, one you score on and one your defend. How about playing a bit of defense? You can average 20 points, and thats good, but to be great you have to change the game on both sides of midcourt.

Melo gardly deserves to play in the Rookie-Sophmore challenge, than alone the all-star game. He reminds me of another overrated player who wears the number 15...</div>

Desmond Mason: 5-18 shooting last night. Of course, Melo wasn't on him all the time, but he was on him most of the time and did a good job. His D is nothing special, but it's getting better.

5. Da_Future_2k5

Da_Future_2k5 JBB Banned Member

bottom line, anyone who thinks Melo deserves a spot over the following list of West forwards, doesn't know basketball..

1-Amare Stoudamire
    2-Dirk Nowitzki
    3-Rashard Lewis
    4-Chris Webber
    5-Corey Maggette
    6-Elton Brand
    7-Shawn Marion
    8-Zach Randolph

and some others stack up even with Melo: Peja and Pau Gasol

so umm yeah, and thats not counting the 2 guards who will make the reserve team like Ray Allen.

6. TheMegaGreg

TheMegaGreg JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

^Da-Future_2k5 Has it on the money

Melo not playing as well as these guys, and I would go as far to say that he is not playing as well as any of the Suns Starters. Well, okay, that may be a stretch, but not by much. Carmelo was overhyped as a rookie. He and LeBron were both giving expectations that were way too high to be real, well atleat for one of them. LeBron succeeded, Carmelo...well he has stumbled to say the least. Not saying he will never be an All-Star, but this year he really hasn't done much to earn it. 20 ppg, wow. I am not impressed, man up, play some ball, add some more wins. Next to the Wolves, this is the most underachiving team in the league.

7. Bobcats

Bron and Melo both both exceeded expactations, and Melo played great (if not, greater than Bron) last year, but this year, he's had injuries, and just tonight, it seemed he injured his ankle again. It happens to players sometimes. Hell, even MJ had a sophmore slump just like Melo.

8. TheMatrix

TheMatrix JBB JustBBall Member

I can't see Melo making it this year. Has had injuries and off court issues, but on top of that, the West has plenty of good forwards this year who have had better seasons. He will have his time, just not now

9. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting purpleb0n9:</div><div class="quote_post">Shard sort of cancels each other out with Ray Allen (who made my bench)</div>

Wha?

That's pure tripe you're talking. Both are having All-Star quality seasons on a team that is top of Denver's division by a fair margin, and one of the biggest surprises in the NBA. How do they cancel eachother out?

10. og15

og15 JBB *********

lol at the guy saying Maggette only scores from the free throw line, therefore no one would want to see him. So does Iverson, Amare, Shaq, Dirkm they all go to the line about 10 times a game, being able to get to the line is a good thing.

Also Maggette is much more athletic than Melo, I mean he has a 40 inch vertical in comparison to Melo's 32 inches, and for an All-Star game, he can throw down nice dunks if that's what people want.

If all these guys went down Melo would make it:

Amare Stoudemire [if they dont put him as a C]
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Shawn Marion
    Chris Webber
    Elton Brand
    Rashard Lewis
    Corey Maggette [he's been playing SG though]

11. GiantMidget

GiantMidget JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Desmond Mason: 5-18 shooting last night. Of course, Melo wasn't on him all the time, but he was on him most of the time and did a good job. His D is nothing special, but it's getting better.</div> Aside from transition baskets and putbacks Desmond Mason really guards himself when he shoots,thats how bad of a shot he has.Holding Mason to a fairly poor shooting % is no kind of accomplishment.What does the title of being an All Star mean if any of the players mentioned on the numerous lists in this thread can get snubbed by a brand name underachieving player like Carmelo.Yuck...

12. Bobcats

The point is, his D is getting better. I think we can all agree that Melo doesn't deserve a spot this year.

13. GarnettKG21

GarnettKG21 JBB JustBBall Member

Don't attack the person who made this post, it was just a question. Some of you are getting too excited. Melo's career isn't over, he still gives about 20pts a night, granted his FG% is bad. and hes only in his second season, he could still be in college if he wanted. You cant blame the Nuggets struggles all on his shoulders, K-Marts points and rebounds are down, and they lost an underrated voshon lenard. Yes the Western Conference is too deep at F so hes not going to go.

14. jbb94ftOfTherapy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Bobcats:</div><div class="quote_post">The point is, his D is getting better. I think we can all agree that Melo doesn't deserve a spot this year.</div>Exactly. We all know hes underacheiving, we all know he doesnt deserve it, yet, we all know his D is average and improving, lets not get too excited, it was just a question.

15. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Aside from transition baskets and putbacks Desmond Mason really guards himself when he shoots,thats how bad of a shot he has.Holding Mason to a fairly poor shooting % is no kind of accomplishment.What does the title of being an All Star mean if any of the players mentioned on the numerous lists in this thread can get snubbed by a brand name underachieving player like Carmelo.Yuck...</div>
    So basically you're saying you haven't watched Desmond Mason this season and are going on just assumption. Anyone who has watched Dmase knows he has improved his mid-range jumper incredibly. He's actually a pretty good mid-range shooter now.

16. GiantMidget

GiantMidget JBB JustBBall Member

No Ive seen Mason play a little this year og15.He doesnt look like an efficient shooter to me.

17. urbannomad23

urbannomad23 JBB JustBBall Member

we all know he doesnt deserve it! guys like Rashard Lewis, Peja, Shawn Marion, Corey Maggette, forwards like those that go under the radar should be on the team. The Nuggets are very underachieving this season! They didnt have a brawl or anything that messed up there season like the pacers and pistons. u guys just arent playing good ball. i think kenyon should be going, but not melo. U havent heard anything from him this year! it has been about Bron bron and D-wade and chris bosh. no Melo in sight. He has had injuries but should he be deserving? probly not because he has done very little on the court. off the court hes been smokin and stuff, legal issues. nuff said from me!

18. jbb94ftOfTherapy

Yes thank you, leave.

19. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

Melo does not deserve. Period. He hasn't played well this season. And if you give it to him, you're gonna snub more deserving people such as Amare, 'Shard, Marion, etc. His stats just aren't there like people thought they'd be and his team is not playing as good as expected. If you take him over the likes of 'Shard, Amare, or Marion, that's a huge snubbing of those guys if ya ask me. They've played as good if not better than 'Melo and their team has been winning on a much more consistent basis than the Nuggets have.

20. Mihm4MVP

Mihm4MVP JBB Banned Member

Melo does derseve a spot. The bench needs warming and we all saw what a spectacular job he did in the Olympics!