Does ND deserve a BCS Bowl?

Discussion in 'College Football' started by porky88, Nov 30, 2005.

1. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

I don't think they do. Yeah Charlie Weis is a great coach and of course the ND story this year is great but the BCS Bowls are for the top teams and ND isn't one of the top 8 teams based on strength of schedule and quality of wins. ND has only defeated 3 teams with a winning record. They lost to a 5-6 Michigan State team who will not be going to a Bowl game. Sure they took USC to the limit in a controversial ending to a classic game but the fact is they lost. Fresno State took USC to the limit for god sakes. A lost is a lost. Their are a lot more teams that deserve a BCS Bowl bids before ND. Auburn, Miami, Ohio State, and Oregon in my opinion deserve BCS Bowl Bids before I would consider ND. Ohio State is co Big 10 Champs and lost to the #4 and #2 rank teams in the BCS. That's pretty darn good. Auburn lost to a the #3 ranked LSU and at least a Bowl team in Georgia Tech. They also played a tougher schedule. Miami lost to a bowl team in FSU who could still play in the BCS and lost to Georgia Tech who again is going to go to a Bowl where as Michigan State isn't. Not to mention Miami beat VT who is by a far better team than any team that ND has beaten. Oregon has lost ONE GAME all season long and that was too the #1 ranked Trojans yet ND is ahead of them in the BCS as well. I think ND is going to be great in the future but because the media has a crush on them and Charlie Weis they'll get the BCS Bowl when they really should be going to a secondary prestige type of Bowl game. It's BS that 3 of 4 teams I mentioned above are going to get screwed over because of a media crush on the ND story.

2. Vikings_4life

Vikings_4life nfl-*****s member

The BCS is all about dollar signs to begin with. It was never about teams being there that to deserve to be. Clearly Oregon deserves to be there, but it just doesn't look as sexy as Notre Dame on the TV Schedule now does it? Another reason why college football doesn't hold a candle to the NFL, IMO

3. Cowboy71

Cowboy71 Dallas Cowboys *********

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (N_Burleson4life)</div><div class='quotemain'>The BCS is all about dollar signs to begin with. It was never about teams being there that to deserve to be. Clearly Oregon deserves to be there, but it just doesn't look as sexy as Notre Dame on the TV Schedule now does it? Another reason why college football doesn't hold a candle to the NFL, IMO</div>

In other words, does a BCS bowl deserve ND? [​IMG]

4. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (N_Burleson4life)</div><div class='quotemain'>Clearly Oregon deserves to be there, but it just doesn't look as sexy as Notre Dame on the TV Schedule now does it?</div>

I completely agree. If you recall a few years ago, The Pac10 threw a hissy (& deservedly so) to get Oregon St in. The Beavers then went on to stomp a mudhole in... That's right... Notre Dame

The BCS has been set up to screw the Pac10 & SEC IMO

5. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blackadder)</div><div class='quotemain'>The BCS has been set up to screw the Pac10 & SEC IMO</div>

I agree. The BCS has it's flaw. Pac-10 has been screwed a lot.

Oregon should of played Miami for the Title a few years back. (Like it mattered though)

USC vs LSU would of been great.

Cal could of gotten in.

I thought Auburn was a better team last year and should be ahead of ND in the BCS as well this year.

The BCS is the worse system in sports and it ruins college football to an extent. College football is more fun to watch than the NFL in my opinion during the regular season but the NFL playoffs are way better than watching the best team in college football play the 3rd or 4th best team while the 2nd best team get's screwed over.

I don't see why they can't take a 4-Team playoff for the National Title. Use the BCS to determine the top 4 teams and have them play. It'll be less flawed then the system that they have now.

Example: Last season

#1 USC vs #4 Utah
    #2 Oklahoma vs #3 Auburn

USC and Auburn would of played in Orange Bowl then...

This year you could see
    #1 USC vs #4 LSU
    #2 Texas vs #3 Penn State

6. FLORIDA PACKER

FLORIDA PACKER nfl-*****s member

I think Notredame vs Ohio State would be an excellent game! I like Notre Dame but they are the medias lil baby this year just like USC. Id still love to see the Irish and Buckeyes square off in the Fiesta bowl though!

7. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FLORIDA PACKER)</div><div class='quotemain'>I think Notredame vs Ohio State would be an excellent game! I like Notre Dame but they are the medias lil baby this year just like USC. Id still love to see the Irish and Buckeyes square off in the Fiesta bowl though!</div>

If ND would of beaten Michigan State then I would be alright with them going too the BCS but the FACT that they lost, I much rather would see Ohio State play Oregon or Ohio State play Miami,Auburn... If UCLA beats USC I think that should knock ND out of the BCS for sure..

8. FLORIDA PACKER

Ohio State and Miami would also be a good one, as long as the Buckeyes get a Fiesta Bowl birth I'll be happy! [​IMG]

9. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FLORIDA PACKER)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ohio State and Miami would also be a good one, as long as the Buckeyes get a Fiesta Bowl birth I'll be happy! [​IMG]</div>

They should or better get in. 9-2 with loses to the #2 and #3 ranked teams in the BCS.

10. FLORIDA PACKER

They could have won both of those games too! Vince Young made me a believer that night when he lead the Longhorns to victory with his arm and not his legs I was skeptical of his skills as a QB and thought he was just another Vick until I saw some of the plays he made that night!

The Penn State game was a much more upsetting loss to me, Troy Smith kind of seemed lost at times and I was whining for Zwick to get put in for the rest of the year, im glad he didn't get to! through the course of this season he's gained alot of poise and respect from me!