Dog on Press Row

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Oct 29, 2014.

1. santeesioux

santeesioux Just keep on scrolling by

Trolling the internet
    Go find HCP.

2. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Yeah probably a compliment.
    Good Job Sly. Hope you had fun. I know i enjoyed your post tonight.

3. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Next time, sneak in your own beer and trade it to writers, a bottle per paragraph.

The goal is to get all those guys working for you.

4. HomerLovesKoolAid

HomerLovesKoolAid I have a well-known member.

Great game. I enjoyed it very much from tier 17.

5. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Awesome thread. I hope we get many more!

6. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

My take on the game:

For years we’ve watched the Spurs effortlessly execute when it matters most. They believe in their system, themselves and more importantly each other. It’s a completely different look than what a lot of other NBA teams do which is put the ball in your star’s hands and let him get baskets. The Spurs have played together for so long that they know on a game by game basis how to play to the strengths dictated by match-ups to get easy, high percentage, good quality looks at the basket.

The Blazers are growing in that same direction.

This team has played together for so long they know each other, they know what they can do and in watching them you really get the sense that not only that they like each other they believe in each other. Last night I was sitting on press row watching the game, fighting slow internet, while trying to think of witty takes to bring the in game experience to everyone posting in the game thread but at one point in the 4th quarter I just closed to the screen to the laptop, sat back and watched the game. The Blazers effortlessly out executed the Thunder. No panic or anger, just smooth execution of basketball by a team that knows themselves. The 4th quarter was a joy to watch.

It’s always interesting to read the game thread during the game. It’s a live play by play reaction that is focused on the minutia of the moment. Last night’s forum angst was firmly focused on the Westbrook and Lillard match up. Let’s be honest, Westbrook got the better of that matchup. Foul trouble and trying to concentrate on defense took Lillard out of his offensive flow. Lillard struggled and Westbrook feasted. Westbrook was getting easy buckets and the Thunder were leading for the majority of the first half. But then some interesting things happened. Whether it was adjustments or just the game plan, slowly, steadily we had a reversal of fortune for both players.

In the pregame analysis a lot of experts and fans said with the Thunder so depleted from injuries the Blazers should let Westbrook get his and lock down the rest of the team. While that makes sense it’s an overused oversimplification of basketball strategy.

Look at it this way, last night Westbrook was running a mental marathon. The race started off easy, the course was all downhill. Russell was running, looking at his watch and saw that he was on pace for a personal best. Miles clicking by and Russell is in that zone. It’s all coming so easily. But slowly the course leveled off. Lillard was switched off Westbrook and Matthews put on him. Still it’s coming so easily. He can run on this flat course all night long. But in an instant the course went from easy, to uphill and steep uphill at that. Matthews and Batum were switched with Nic now playing tough defense and Westbrook’s thoughts of an easy race and personal best were thrown out the window. Mentally and physically drained Westbrook couldn’t even finish the race.

Lillard ran the same race yet in reverse. What started as an uphill struggle ended as a downhill sprint. Lillard and the Blazers raced to the finish line for an easy victory.

Again, whether it was the game plan or in game adjustments I don’t know. I wasn’t allowed into Stott’s press conference to ask but I do know that one player’s night started off easy and got a whole hell of a lot harder while another player’s night started of hard and as it got easier for him so it did for his teammates.

7. SlyPokerDog

I was going to go with the rope-a-dope strategy on Westbrook but I thought the marathon analogy worked better, lol.

8. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Sly, I really enjoyed your posts from last night. And good job on the article. Good slants all around.

Does it now get proof read and linked someplace, or is this the place?

9. SlyPokerDog

Kaman

What an enjoyable, goofy, fascinating guy. As I shared earlier I briefly got to speak with Chris during pregame warm ups. I was sitting with Sarah Hecht on the Blazer’s bench when Kaman appeared out of nowhere and sat down beside us. He turned to us and asked if we had seen his show and what we thought. We both said yes and he preceded to ask us what we thought of it and what people think about it. He seems particularly interested in the last ten minutes of episode 6. Unfortunately I haven’t watched episode 6 yet. Kaman went on to explain that he wanted to know because he was worried about how one of his friends were portrayed. It was a touching moment because while Exploring Kaman is about him he wanted to make sure that those closest to him weren’t hurt by it. He was asking for honest feedback from neutral parties because his friends matter.

Kaman then stepped out on the court and started warming up. He is a boundless bundle of energy, laughing and engaging with teammates and coaches. I can almost see Kaman at some point this season coming out at halftime with bow and arrow to shoot apples off the heads of Blazer dancers to the roar of the crowd.

Basketball wise Kaman is this season’s Mo Williams. He knows his role is look to score when he’s out there. I guarantee there will be times some of you will get almost as frustrated at him as you did at Mo. I said almost. The big difference here is that because of Kaman’s size and the fact he plays closer to the basket he’s taking higher percentage shots. He looks to pass and will be careless with the ball. But all in all he is a huge upgrade and will provide more consistent scoring for the second unit.

10. SlyPokerDog

I'm not really sure. We're trying to figure this all out. I will try to go into this a little more later but I kinda pissed the Blazers off with some of the things I posted.

11. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

That must be elaborated upon

12. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    I really like this Kaman guy... He seems like a dude that you could actually hang and relate with. Like "Just one of the guys" type person.

13. SlyPokerDog

Opening night, the court, the game experience

I want to start off by saying that I love the spectacle that is the modern NBA game. There is nothing else like it in all of sports. It is a frantic short attention span theater of never ending entertainment. Dance teams, stunt teams, t-shirt guns, prize giveaways, music, fans dancing, kiss cams, the accelerator is mashed to the floorboard and the throttle is open! At any moment you half expect Russell Crowe to step out onto center court and ask if we are not entertained. There are no pauses, there are no 7th inning stretches, there is just action! It can almost be dizzying but it’s glorious in its execution.

[​IMG]

Last night’s season opening episode of this ultimate reality show was orchestrated to perfection. Partly because there was an orchestra, conducted by none other than the great Bill Schonely. The Oregon Symphony was there to play our national anthem. The red glow sticks in the crowd, the American flag projected on to the court and ringing the arena in the LCD screens was an unexpected goose bump moment.

The player introductions done on those drop down screens and smoke is a great effect and it’s something that pictures or TV can’t do justice to. You've got to see it in person to fully enjoy it.

Just a few minor complaints and suggestions. Not sure it’s because it comes off so smooth and effortless but there are times it feels almost… almost too slick. You’re not sure if this isn’t just the same package of entertainment given to all fans in all NBA arenas or if what we’re experiencing is unique and original. There is little to differentiate it from what other NBA arenas are doing or that is uniquely ours.
    In past seasons the TV monitors in the concourse and walls at the individual food venders would show the game or other NBA games and scores. This year they were showing ads. Maybe I saw them at a wrong time and they continue to do this but if they have been switched to ads only for Blazer stuff maybe we could talk about a split screen or something.

Maybe I was too busy to notice but about halfway through the game last night I realized that I hadn’t seen or heard “THE L-TRAAAAAAIIIIINNNN!” and it’s graphic displayed on the LCD monitors that ring the arena after a made LMA basket. Good! I never really cared for that. The L-Train just seemed like a forced nickname. To me it just never seemed to fit.

Like I said, these are just minor things. I would give the atmosphere and experience an A+! Well done Blazers, well done!

Oh, I almost forgot, the court. THE COURT! Wow! It pops! I never would have imagined that changing the court could change the look of the arena but it does. I was talking with Sarah Hecht and we weren’t sure if the arena has added more lighting aimed down at the court but it really stands out. So much so that it almost gives the rest of the arena a theater type lighting effect. The court looks great!

BrianFromWA and BBert like this.
  14. SlyPokerDog

Wow, you guys are really enjoying my write up.

Oh well...

15. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    Am I pretty? Am I really pretty? Just how pretty am I?

Neener...

16. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    It's so sad that so few corporate schmoes have any kind of sense of humor, and often no understanding of satire or irony.

17. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    I for one am enjoying it. So much so, that I shall rep you now.

18. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

you can't post stuff in the middle of the day and expect people to see it immediately...Deadlines/News Cycles 101, rookie. ;)

19. riverman

riverman Writing Team

It was probably the fart jokes or the jeans

20. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Repped!