OT Donavan Mitchell trade watch

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, Jul 12, 2022.

1. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

*Ahem**Jody Allen**ahem*

Sorry... Something was caught in my throat...

2. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

Ainge must have extremely compromising pictures of the Minnesota and Utah GMs. There is no other explanation for how a really shitty GM (in my not so humble opinion) could get those guys to overpay so fricking badly for Gobert and Mitchell. Gobert and Mitchell are damn good players......but they sure ain't THAT damn good........

Idog1976 and BoomChakaLaka like this.
  3. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

This trade puts the Cavs in contention and Danny will struggle for 5-6 years. Just my opinion.

UncleCliffy'sDaddy likes this.
  4. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

yeah....this might very well be a case of quantity rather than quality. Jazz have lots of picks from Minny and Cleveland and they all might be picks in the 20's over the next 5 years

5. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Ochai* Agbaji was my guy going into the draft, and my reasoning was because “he’s got the name” and this tweet proves it.

These trades could end up looking good for Utah.

Same time, it is going to be interesting to see how Cleveland does this season. I need to revisit the east after this. Not so much with Utah. This trade definitely just further puts them into rebuild mode.

6. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

There are worse franchises and ones that have a smaller window to compete right now though. Unfortunate that Stockton, Malone, and Hornacek didn’t win a ring. Kind of like Reggie and the Pacers; it shows how hard it can be to win in the league. Some years are tougher than others.

Last three seasons have not felt that way. Maybe this one will.

7. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

I totally agree. I just don't think either player was worth the haul Utah received in each trade. Ainge had a shit ton of "assets" in Boston and plenty of time to use them. He got exactly one championship (with a major hand(y) from his old buddy) during that time. Poor Utah fans.....

8. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Given that Mitchell and Gobert didn't put Utah into contention I'm not sure they're making the Cavs or Wolves contenders either...Nurk just held Gobert to 9 pts while scoring 21 on him in FIBA. Cavs are going to be good for sure.

9. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Those assets did lead to Tatum and Brown, but I'm wondering if that would have happened had the Nets not been owned by a stupid idiot who had no idea who to run a team.

10. CJ_is_Gone

CJ_is_Gone Well-Known Member

Gobert is very good, but players can't control the game from the C position (outside of Jokic). You can't pay someone like Gobert $40M and expect to contend.

11. BoomChakaLaka

BoomChakaLaka Well-Known Member

Designer / Artist
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico (formerly PDX)
    I think Ainge is a genius. What he was able to get for Gobert and Mitchell…wow! Let’s say we traded Dame to Cleveland for that same package, plus let’s say another 1st round pick and one more pick swap….

12. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I guess it would be exciting around the draft. But I am not sure any of them would start for us.
    I think you can make an argument that Simons is better than Sexton, that Sharpe is better than Agbaji, (We have not seen either play an NBA game yet), and that the one-dimensional Markkanen is not as good as Grant. (not if you like defense)

So Dame for 3 good bench players and draft picks is ok but not really a home run. Those 3 players IMO are easy to duplicate. Dame is not. So yeah there would be excitement around the draft and the trade deadline, but not as much during the actual season.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
    BoomChakaLaka likes this.
  13. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

Blazers would suck for 5 years. And by suck I mean they wouldn't make the playoffs but they'd be good enough to be at the ass end of the lottery. Purgatory

some people are really overrating Utah's return on those trades. a bunch of role players and 5 years of extra picks in the 20's isn't great value

14. HoopsFanAZ

HoopsFanAZ Well-Known Member

Utah is committed to being bad. The need to keep trading and I’m not seeing either Markkanen or Sexton as their future other than as trade pieces. Conley, Bogdanovic and Clarkson need trading. I’d hate to see a trade with the Lakers but if it sucks up 2 1st rounders, good for Ainge.

Minnesota wants to be relevant, now. Cleveland got better and are in the mix with 4 good, young players plus other pieces, and Love is off the books in a year.

Utah needs youth development and SERIOUS load management against crappy and mediocre teams.