OT Donavan Mitchell trade watch

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, Jul 12, 2022.

1. WillG

WillG Well-Known Member

x 1000.
    Danny has the Common-Sense and the Cajones to act after see-ing the writing on the wall. Complete opposite of this inept/self aggrandizing Blazers Front office.

SharpesTriumph, Ed O and Natebishop3 like this.
  2. new22

new22 New Member

Would you prefer Danny's style of rebuilding? If he was in Portland he would most probably trade Lillard and we have:

Ant, Little, Sharpe, Watford, Walker, Brown, Johnson + two young talents and 5draft picks. That could be fun.

Cronin is mixing yougs with vets and this season could really be something, with healthy Lillard and Billups on the side. It looks like really last chance though.

3. HoopsFanAZ

HoopsFanAZ Well-Known Member

CJ is a high-level, tough-shot-maker who has worked to make the difficult not so hard for him. However, he hugs the 3 point line and has mastered the midrange without drawing fouls. Mitchell shoots 3's, draws contact, gets steals ... he's aggressive. Shots of CJ early on showed a short kid who learned how to get his shot off. That is certainly true as a pro, but for a good free throw shooter he doesn't go there. He's doesn't have an aggressive, physically imposing style. CJ is a really good scoring guard ... finesse. They're just different guards.

Ainge is tearing down the team, Boston style. A full-on tank -- no question. It's about young guys, short contracts and picks. It won't be a fire sale because it's Ainge.
    Portland is navigating having players closer to Dame's timeline, with connectors in the middle, and promising young guys -- a model for sustainability if a team has enough talent.

[I've always like Bojan Bogdanovic, 6'7, solid build ... an efficient player. At age 33, and the cost likely Josh Hart, Winslow and Keon Clark, it's likely a no-go. Between Grant, Bogdanovic and Little ... forward would be good. Not going to happen ... I liked Ingles, too ... a Blazer for a cup of coffee and no court time. Of course.]

4. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Me either though they bring different skillsets to the table. If DM is indeed dealt, it will be interesting to compare and contrast the returning haul to what CJ garnered.

Many posters have agreed with me since I disagreed with your comparison, none with you. I'm fine with taking a stand and being an outlier on things I feel strongly about, but thats not the case here.

STOMP

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
  5. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Since Ainge is executing the same exact playbook he ran in Boston as GM, it's obvious that this is what the Jazz front office brought him in to do. Contrasted to the situation here though, the Jazz don't have a beloved cash cow in place to balance the scales giving ownership real reason$ to hold on to whats in place.

STOMP

Scalma likes this.
  6. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

Many posters? Okay.
    Not my "Comparison" It was some dude named "Hadj Padj" I just thought it was fairly accurate and funny. Though i agree they have some differences in their game i can see the correlation between the two.
    Not exactly sure why this is such an issue for you? Are you a real fan of CJ? Or is it Donovan Mitchell you are hung up on?

7. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

For me personally, lineups like this are fun for a couple games, but then going 28-54 gets real old. Having said that, I would trade anyone for the right price. The Golbert deal was highway robbery.

8. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Gobert's contract was horrible based on his overall skills. Moving him had to be done.
    Mitchell is the better talent, but is he the leader you want for your team? I bet Danny intended to build around him but found out Mitchell, despite what he said publically, doesn't really want to stay in Utah long term.

9. Mr. Robot

Mr. Robot Well-Known Member

kudos to ownership and/or danny ainge, they dont want to be just a playoff team, they want to win a chip and they realized it wont happen with the team they had

a vast majority of owners & gm would be happy to have a playoff team, thats a successful team

10. Pinwheel1

Blazer fans also praised the Jazz for their strategy of rebuilding with the Deron Williams trade. Sure it worked OK, but I don't see any "chip" banners hanging from the Vivint Arena, EnergySolutions Arena, or the Delta Center

11. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    Would Utah be interested in trading others? Would they take a draft pick and Winslow for Vanderbilt?

12. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Of course they will, if it's a 1st rounder.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...de-market-for-utah-jazz-star-donovan-mitchell

This quote is telling me the price is too high.

illmatic99 likes this.
  13. Pinwheel1

Is he better than Walker? Even Winslow looks good at shooting 3's compared to Vanderbilt.
    I do like him around the basket and his defense, but he seems a bit one dimensional

illmatic99 likes this.
  14. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    Vanderbilt really grades well at this site for TS%, offensive rebounding and a lot of defensive measurements, including versatility. Doesn't shoot threes or good at free throws.
    https://craftednba.com/players/jarred-vanderbilt
    If we are trying to win now, maybe is worth a first round pick.

15. Pinwheel1

Please don't even joke about that. We have to stop giving away 1st round picks for mediocre players.

TBpup, STOMP and illmatic99 like this.
  16. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Chauncey LOVES Vanderbilt. Repeatedly shouted him out after our games against the TWolves this past season. That said, I'm not certain he's a great positional fit. And having to hide GP2 and Vanderbilt in lineups on offense will not be easy. He'd be an over-correction while we make our shooting worse.

Need a backup big or two-way dudes.

Natebishop3 likes this.
  17. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Good grief dude, you are the the outlier here thinking this is a good comparison of talents while many others thought it wasn't. End of story.

STOMP

18. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

19. Pinwheel1

How ironic since DWade is part owner of the....Jazz

Eastoff, STOMP, RR7 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I don't remember the specifics of the Deron Williams era, but I know that contending for a championship is successful... even if there are no titles won.

I'd rather have the early 90s Blazers or the late 90s Blazers, even in retrospect, than what we've had the last four or five years as we've been trying to build around Dame by paying our current players a lot of money and trading future picks for role players.