OT Donavan Mitchell trade watch

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, Jul 12, 2022.

1. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

He seems to be a fan favorite, and all around great dude from all i've seen and heard.

2. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Yes, that is all true of the early 90s. But I am talking about the summer of 89'. Right after the season fans were unbelievably stupid about the team. They were coming off a losing season and they wanted to blow it all up. Instead, they got Buck and made it to the finals the very next year..... and Blazermania was back in full force.

3. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Well in that case I hope they trade him back east. Screw the Jazz

4. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

5. perkinsfor3

perkinsfor3 Well-Known Member

He probably privately asked for a trade. And Ainge probably wants to rebuild in his own vision from scratch. For Don it would be nice to not having to cross state borders to get a proper haircut.

Eastoff and Pinwheel1 like this.
  6. perkinsfor3

perkinsfor3 Well-Known Member

...and Id try to find out why Quinn left. That was seemingly unexpected.

7. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

8. ehizzy3

ehizzy3 RIP mgb

not really. Plus he’s like 6’1”

9. ehizzy3

ehizzy3 RIP mgb

better version of Conley and Mitchell but still not as good as Dame and CJ whom continued to fail year after year in the playoffs.

10. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Not only those players, the Blazers would probably have Duren instead of Grant, and at least some young talent from the Clippers trade instead of nothing. Maybe the Blazers would also have a few more young pieces or picks instead of Hart from the CJ trade too.

The time to setup the next decade of the Blazers future was when the team fired Olshey. They didn't have to rush into the revamp; instead they could've first spent time to get a great GM and empowering him to do the best long term decisions. We got the shit moves this team has done starting in February; after that started even a great GM wouldn't have been able to save this mess.

The only redeeming chance could be if Sharpe becomes a superstar. Unfortunately he lasted 5 minutes in his first game. Would be great if he can become the superstar and the Blazers contend with him and Lillard; it just seems like such an unlikely long shot gamble; feels like this franchise threw everything on one number of the craps table. I guess it could work, and I sure hope it does, but that doesn't seem at all like good long term planning.

Compare this mess to the other franchises such as the Thunder, Pelicans, Jazz, etc who have long term assets or other teams that have great current players. The Blazers have a poor collection of both; as evident by only the Wizards and Kings in the entire NBA being ranked worse in ESPN future rankings.

handiman likes this.
  11. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Or Utah thinks that paying $35m a year for a guy who will keep them near the playoffs doesn't make sense for the future of the franchise.

Mitchell is really good, but having one really good player and winning, say, 33 games is not better than winning 22.

new22 likes this.
  12. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I'd say that Ainge and Zanik want to do a full reset and rebuild the team in the manner that suits them. Stripping it down and getting a bunch of picks and players by trading out Gobert and Mitchell is a great way to do that. I know that many around here would like to have seen the Blazers do the same thing with Dame. Obviously, Cronin and Billups disagree. It will be interesting if Portland's retool on the fly ends up yielding a contender before the Jazz's total rebuild does.

Ed O likes this.
  13. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Brunson was huge for the Mavs down the stretch, including in a couple playoff games without Luka. I agree neither Brunson or Mitchell is close to Dame's level, but NY is in a position to build differently. If they found a way to trade Randle and Fournier, they could potentially open up a ton of cap space next summer on top of that backcourt. I don't know if that's championship level or not depending on who they got, but it wouldn't be hard to build a better front court than Dame and CJ ever had. They're already off to a good start with Hartenstein, who was one of the best lowkey signings of the entire free agency.

ehizzy3 likes this.
  14. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

ESPN future rankings? ESPN can predict the future?

15. Ed O

Definitely. If Mitchell gets traded, it's an interesting inflection point, as the two teams were at ABOUT the same level at the trade deadline last year... both teams are making moves with markedly different strategies.

Eastoff and theprunetang like this.
  16. Ed O

People make predictions every day... from insurance to finance to sports betting, experts look at the status of individuals, assets, and such to "predict the future".

It's entirely reasonable for people to look at the current state of a team and extrapolate its chances for success relative to the rest of the league. Maybe the prediction will be wrong, but it's not a guess or fortune telling or something.

17. Wade Garrett

Wade Garrett Exactly right.

He always looked to me like a dude coming off a 4 day coke bender.

18. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Doesn't it seem likely that Ainge basically told him they were going to do a teardown and rebuild, and he just wasn't interested in participating?

19. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

I was wondering if I was the only one who thought that.......

Wade Garrett and RR7 like this.
  20. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

While in general fans are stupid, we ran in very different circles back in the day. I graduated in 1990 and then worked in Eugene for the next couple years. My relayed group watching experiences were from my college roommate days where the majority of the attendees were from a college soccer team. I fondly recall the 89-90 team. I remember the unbelievable playoff run especially the 2nd round vs the Spurs where rookie Uncle Cliffy took on the Admiral. Didn't a no look pass from Rod Strickland to no one seal the series iIrc?

I don't recall anyone wanting to blow that team up prior to the season, but then I wouldn't have tolerated such talk ;-)

STOMP