Donovan signs contract extension with Galaxy

Discussion in 'Americas' started by agoo, Dec 16, 2009.

1. agoo

agoo Member

As reported by Ives, Donovan has signed an extension with the Galaxy that will keep him in the MLS for a while and puts him in the "millionaire's club" with Beckham, Ljunberg, and Blanco.

Ives is speculating that this deal also includes a release clause incase a respectable bid comes in after the World Cup.

Personally, I think this is a great move for both the league and the player. If the league is going to step up to the next level, it needs to start by retaining its best players. This deal does that and the rumored contract offer made to Stuart Holden does that as well. For Donovan, he seems to be able to continue his development as a player, despite not making the move to a European bench. I know the Euro-snobs in the US and most foreign correspondents won't think too highly of this, but I see Donovan continuing to improve and develop as the star of the Galaxy.

2. agoo

agoo Member

3. Colonel Ronan

Colonel Ronan Continue...?

Control Center analyst
    What a retarded decision.

4. agoo

agoo Member

Based on what? He's already shown he can improve while playing in the MLS and he just hasn't been comfortable abroad.

5. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

Since he signed that extension it must be the case that he's not expecting to have much of an impact with the Toffee's. Easier for him to be a free agent looking for a gig in Europe than to be entangled with MLS.

6. agoo

agoo Member

I don't think he ever planned to have more than a couple of months on loan at Everton and I'm not sure Everton has the money to get him long term. MLS asks for a lot of their guys who are under contract. I think what's likely is that there is a release clause in his contract so he can move for a good offer if one comes in that he's interested in.