OT Don't Be Dissin' The American Flag

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by ABM, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Exactly
    That’s why I didn’t for either Clinton or Trump.
    I won’t endorse untrustworthy politicians or what ever trump is.
    So I vote my conscience. I will this time also unless Joe really goes sideways.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  2. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Please go ahead and write in John Kasich on your ballot this year.

riverman, THE HCP, Lanny and 2 others like this.
  3. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    I wish no one desecrated the flag but that is their Constitutional right to free speech and I will defend that right the same as I did my best to defend our country.
    Obviously I would never desecrate our flag when I have one flying atop a 20 foot lighted flagpole with an all weather flag flying night and day. I love the flag and I love the country for which it stands.
    I don't love racism, systematic or otherwise and think it's our country's no. 1 problem. I will not rest until ALL of us are treated equally. I've felt that way since I was 12 years old.
    Here's a bit of flag etiquette that I would like all to know. When saluting the flag while wearing a baseball type of soft hat, one places the thumb and two nearest fingers, of the right hand, grasping the bill of the hat and then hold the hat over the left shoulder with the hand near the heart.

"All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart."

https://www.military.com/flag-day/flag-ettiquette-dos-and-donts.html

Hoopguru likes this.
  4. Road Ratt

Road Ratt King of my own little world

The flag is a symbol of a country. If the country doesn't stand for the morals they claim to have, the flag means nothing.

Our American flag has meant nothing since the mid 60's. In reality, America has never stood up for it's own morals, therefore our flag has never meant anything either, other than the lies we have all been made to believe that it stands for.

5. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Really Now?
    Obviously you are not paying attention.

THE HCP and Lanny like this.
  6. Road Ratt

Your comment isn't helpful at all.

(If you disagree, show me why. Or at least ask me why I see things the way I do. A silly meaningless comment on the internet doesn't do either of us any good.)

7. Lanny

If this isn't self obvious then I highly doubt that I could ever explain it to you.

kjironman1 likes this.
  8. Road Ratt

We haven't even started our debate and already you believe that you are correct and that I am the one who is wrong. That is wrong-headed thinking.

Ask black people if America has ever stood for it's own morals. They are fighting for their rights as humans, here in 2020.

I would say that institutionalized racism would qualify as... America having no morals.

Edit: I can disagree with people all day long. The problem comes when people turn the debate directly towards me. Please keep the debate on the topic and leave me out of it, and we will have no problems, ever. If you must, at least ask where I am coming from and I will try to explain, if possible.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    Propagandist and illmatic99 like this.
  9. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I would say that there are two problems with that statement:

1. Countries don't have morals other than those of the people living in those countries. All countries are made up of good and bad people. The overall moral tendencies of a people get institutionalized through a constitution. America's constitution is a document that shows that the predominant character of this country was founded on positive moral principles. Unfortunately, the institution of slavery shows that men often turn a blind eye to moral principles when money is involved.

2. All countries have blotches on their historic records. They also have things that have been done that are admirable and at times selfless. By far, slavery and racism are America's biggest stains, but there are plenty of others. Having stains, IMO, does not equate to having no morals. What a people choose to do about those stains shows the true moral fiber of a nation.

America has made painfully slow and hard-fought progress on issues of civil rights since the Civil War, but we're far from where we need to be. It seems to me that we may have reached an inflection point in our struggle with racism. I think there are far more people who are ready to make further needed changes than at any point in our history. Sure, there are plenty of other people with dark hearts on the issue of race who won't give up their biases easily, but if enough people are willing to push hard enough, this could just turn out to be a defining moment in our history where we make moves towards fulfilling the notion that all people are created equal and that liberty and justice for all truly is something that is not a privilege belonging to only white Americans, but rather to all Americans.

Hoopguru likes this.
  10. kjironman1

I captioned the issue with your statement. Not up to me to explain your meaning. That is up to you.
    You seem to think America has never stood up for it's own morals.
    AND therefore the flag doesn't mean anything.

If you cannot figure out the problems with this statement i certainly will not be explaining it to you. Maybe you should explain it so people reading don't think you are completely out of touch?

11. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Well said, but my concern is even with this current push and willingness to make positive changes for social justice, there seems to be a movement towards more segregation/tribal groups with their own political positions. College campuses are preaching safe zones and anything/anyone outside the progressive movement maybe slanting more moderate/conservative or Libertarian is viewed as the enemy of justice, and are racist. So yes, we will make progress relative to policing and social justice but I think as a country we will be more politically polarized, and the lack of respect for differing views and people will continue , unless there is a concerted effort on all sides and beliefs to compromise for unity as a country. It just cant be them against us any longer with out damaging the minds and spirit of young people, who love unity by nature.

12. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    There’s always going to be pushback, but it just feels to me like we’re finally going to make some major moves in the right direction. It can’t happen nationally as long as Trump is in office, but locally many areas look poised to shake things up. Also, we’ve never seen as much public corporate dedication to ending racism. People are losing their jobs for racist statements and acts. Hopefully, by January 20th we have a new president and things can start to happen in the federal government.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  13. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

I've already sent off to China to have mail in ballots printed naming me as president!

14. Road Ratt

1. You know I meant the people running the country, not the country itself. So I won't bother. Besides, the slaves were "freed" ages ago, yet people of color are still held back in 2020, by our U.S. government, on purpose. They are still taking away their rights to vote by purging and gerrymandering. I still don't see morals or American values here.

2. True, but our country isn't working to fix it's problems. Our government works against Americans. They have been helping the rich monopolize America since Reagan. Take us back to when we had robber barrens and workers had little rights. Don't believe me, look around. America is being monoploized, privatized and corporatized with help from both parties.

I would hope that this isn't the America people want. But both parties have brought the U.S. to this.

GoBlazersGo likes this.
  15. riverman

riverman Writing Team

If only they weren't written or printed in Mandarin you might be onto something here....as it is your ballots will only be in the Asian markets and they'll confuse president with present...thinking they're getting a free puppy!

kjironman1, Road Ratt and SlyPokerDog like this.
  16. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I hear that people are already lining up to erect and then tear down your statue.

SlyPokerDog and Road Ratt like this.
  17. kjironman1

[​IMG]

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  18. Lanny

We haven't even discussed my thinking on the subject and already you think I have "wrong-headed thinking". See, that's a useless approach.
    This really is so self evident that I see you purpose in rehashing it over and over and over again.

19. Road Ratt

Your thinking was evident in the first place Lanny. You don't seem to believe that I am even intelligent enough to understand you.

Your words: "I highly doubt that I could ever explain it to you." I was just showing you your own error in directing your message directly at me personally.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  20. Lanny

You would be wrong to seem that. It's not your intelligence that I question, it's your ability to be objective.
    Okay, you're gonna drag it out of me. My opposition to your conclusion has to do with all the idealistic people who believe our beloved Constitution provides a logical way of righting wrongs. I'm speaking of all the young people who worked for the Civil Rights laws that we now enjoy. The war in Vietnam that everyone wanted ended. The opposition to the backwards moves by Trump and his cult. These people are the majority and change is happening and will continue to happen.
    I'm reminded of the poem by Robert Frost
    ". . . But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep."
    This is what I find to be self evident.

e_blazer likes this.