Don't trade the pick

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Trailblazers76, May 18, 2023.

1. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I'm not sold on him yet. I need to do some of my own research. I was sold on Sharpe eventually, but it took a lot of time on youtube to get there.

2. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

So in that scenario you are shafting Dame , because only the crappy teams have potential high draft capital. And most of them are in serious rebuilding mode. Doing right by him, is sending him to the good teams that he could put over the top . They are sending overpaid decent players back to make the numbers work, and end of 1st round draft capital because Dame is taking them to higher ground. Big pass on that one.

BassPlaya likes this.
  3. AmirIcon

AmirIcon Well-Known Member

Writer, Director, Actor
    Listing a bunch of unsuccessful players for comps for another player is what you can do for literally everyone. Even Michael Jordan. Doesn't mean much.

Yes, I believe in Scoot. But if Portland is adamant about keeping Dame (which they are), then they deserve a king's ransom for a potential franchise point guard. I would be okay with a combination of Bridges/Claxton or Siakam/OG.

Will also take Brown should Boston fall.

tykendo likes this.
  4. tykendo

I agree with your value of that 3rd pick. You don't get the 3rd pick in a draft, that has been said that the top 3 are the real thing, for a cup of coffee and a biscuit to be named later. That pick is worth a ransom, if Scoot & Miller are as good as people are saying.

5. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

"rebuilding" means keeping and using your picks. It doesn't mean trading four first round picks for Afflalo, RoCo, and Nance. Or wasting full-MLE signings on Derrick Jones and Gary Payton (or Spenser Hawes). Or making max contract offers to Roy Hibbert, Enes Kanter, Greg Monroe, Chandler Parsons, and Hassan Whiteside

Portland did not rebuild at any time during the Olshey era. What they did was turn the keys to the team over to an ego-blind idiot GM who was determined to straddle every fucking fence in sight while being head-over-heels in love with marginally talented CJ while not once trying to build a team around Dame; not one time. Olshey didn't rebuild or retool...he just regurgitated.

6. tykendo

In other words, those hauls you list should have potential for being completed.

7. tykendo

Well said.

8. wizenheimer

I was just attempting to show that people claiming future star status for players in pre-draft hype has a lot of misses. Why should I not be skeptical about Scoot?

I do agree that Portland should place a high value on the 3rd pick. But what if all the workouts convince teams you're right, especially Charlotte, and they take Scoot? Further, what if those same workouts convince teams Brandon Miller is overrated and has that low ceiling people are talking about? In a 2-player draft, how much value does the 3rd pick have?

9. AmirIcon

AmirIcon Well-Known Member

Writer, Director, Actor
    You should be skeptical of any player coming into the draft.

I actually think Amen should get some consideration at #3 with Miller should Scoot be off the board.

10. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I have to agree with Aaron Fentress:

Aaron J. Fentress @AaronJFentress
    The Trail Blazers would have a better shot at winning a title by going all in and acquiring two impact players now than they would by trading Damian Lillard and hoping that a bunch of kids develop into championship-caliber stars. And, they remain in Portland.

11. Natebishop3

This is easy to say if we're just saying "impact players" without naming names or knowing who is out there.

But we don't know...

We don't know who is available. We don't know what the price is. We can toss out names like Siakam or Bridges, but we don't know what those teams are asking for.

Bingo Bango likes this.
  12. Bingo Bango

Bingo Bango Well-Known Member

I can see why you would pass if your #1 concern is making Lillard happy. Cronin may even agree with you. But my #1 concern is making the Blazers better, and building a championship team. I don’t see it happening by adding one or two veterans around Lillard.

STOMP and Natebishop3 like this.
  13. Bingo Bango

Bingo Bango Well-Known Member

And who would those impact players be, according to Fentress?

Natebishop3 likes this.
  14. Natebishop3

You know... the impact players! The ones that will make us a contender!

BBert and Bingo Bango like this.
  15. wizenheimer

you must have discipline

every time I go to youtube with a specific purpose in mind I immediately get distracted. It goes something like:

Joe Rogan talking to a guest about the Comanche tribe--->Grizzly bear charges fisherman--->hippo chases a boat--->huge anaconda in swamp--->hot blonde in tight spandex jumps rope to music--->same hot blonde in different tight spandex jumps rope to music--->Bill Burr ranting about CoCo Chanel--->two black guys react to Bill Burr ranting about CoCo Chanel--->idiots in cars--->fails of the month---> orangutan baffled my magic trick--->that hot blonde in different tight spandex again--->The Marshal Tucker Band--->funny cats....I then leave youtube without doing what I came to do

BBert, Natebishop3 and SharpesTriumph like this.
  16. tykendo

Happy Aaron has been listening. Preaching to the choir.

17. tykendo

Well Bridges and Claxton would be a nice start with the # 3 / Nurk . And the Blazers haven't even reached into their other future capital yet. What could Ant , plus 2 to 3 1st get?

18. tykendo

Time to go shopping Joe.

19. AngryFan

AngryFan Active Member

There isn't a shot in hell we could get both Bridges and Claxton for just the #3 and Nurkic. That is so far away from reality.

Bingo Bango likes this.
  20. wizenheimer

that's true

what is also then true is we don't know what the trade market for Dame is. So how can we slam the brakes on a 'build-around-Dame-path' when we don't know the market for Blazers assets, while not slamming the brakes on the 'trade-Dame-path' when we don't know the market for Dame?

Quatro44, blazerkor and e_blazer like this.