Don't trade the pick

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Trailblazers76, May 18, 2023.

1. AmirIcon

AmirIcon Well-Known Member

Writer, Director, Actor
    Agree with all this. If Scoot or someone else completely wows them and the offers aren't good enough, they can definitely keep it. It was Dame that recognized the deal for #7 wasn't good enough. Let's hope the workouts go well and they value the pick significantly. That way either they get more value or they keep the pick.

Last edited: May 18, 2023
    1 Eye Jack and blazerfan11 like this.
  2. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

you overestimate your impact....I rarely take anything personal here

you said "Portland had been rebuilding for 10 years" which means pretty specific things to me. I replied, I didn't make any comment about you or your posting style or you stalking me or anything weird or personal like you did when you replied. Just stated an opinion that Portland has not rebuilt since Dame arrived, except for maybe when Aldridge left, but since they didn't add a single 1st round pick to the roster for 3 straight years at that time, it wasn't much of a rebuild. Going from Aldridge-Matthews-Batum-Lopez to Aminu-Harkless-Davis-Plumlee wasn't a rebuild as much as it was trading a Mustang for a Corvair

I think right now is the closest Portland has been to a rebuild since Dame arrived

3. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Good point although they would need to like someone else about the same. It will be interesting to see which teams Scoot and Miller work out for that draft after us.

4. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    This is true with the following qualifiers:
    Better shot IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF YEARS
    "Better" means getting bounced in the first round instead of competing for the worst record in the league. Neither rises to "good," but the latter will give us another high lottery pick.

BIG Q likes this.
  5. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Why are we assuming it's only Scoot or Miller? Cam Whitmore needs to be in the conversation, and I would also include Anthony Black from Arkansas and Jarace Walker. I guess the Thompson twins have their fans, too. Walker or Whitmore would probably be the most immediate and best fit, but I really like Anthony Black. He seems the most likely to be a Jalen Williams-type surprise.

6. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

I don't know how Scoot won't completely wow them.

1 Eye Jack likes this.
  7. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I can only assume that you have an inside source telling you who Joe’s getting, otherwise this would just be pure speculation. I will note that the plan to do a total rebuild has the Blazers on the same timeline as Wemby’s Spurs, so you may want to factor that in before scheduling the parade.

8. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    I know who he's NOT getting: anyone who will get us past the first round.

One reason a tiny part of me is glad we didn't get Wemby is because I wouldn't want to be resting all my hopes and dreams on that spindly frame.

9. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant

Oh, well you didn’t mention that you had positive proof.

10. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

More Im looking at Scoot and Miller the more I want to keep one. Draft whoever falls and figure out the Dame situation later. Dame either sticks with Portland, or both sides work to a trade if he prefers.

I'd hold out crazy firm in trade offers for #3. Just plan that we won't get enough so we're keeping the pick. Not even sure I want to do Ant and 3 for Jaylen Brown. Only trade I could see really making sense from the Blazers end is with the Nets:

Bridges and Claxton for Nurk and #3.

Blazers upgrade center and get a massive forward upgrade. They keep Ant in a 3 guard rotation with Dame and Sharpe. They still have some depth, and still have future picks.

I'd assume that's too little from Brooklyn's end. Fine, then we keep the pick and get a 19 year old stud instead on a rookie deal who may be a superstar. We tell Dame we tried, just nobody would give us fair veteran value. The #3 pick in a draft with three #1 level talents is worth way too much to accept less than an amazing trade return.

TBpup likes this.
  11. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

All roads seem to lead to the same conclusion for you...

STOMP

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  12. MrDraftGuy

MrDraftGuy Active Member

Green, Cunningham, Oladipo, and even Russell are 20ppg guards (the former two still have All star potential and the latter reaching it). Fultz faced a major injury that impacted his career.

Either way, we should frame it as "Top Point Guard Prospects" instead (going as far back as when CP3 was drafted since the era of PGs before was weak, "*" asterisk indicates All Star selection):

Ivey
    Cunningham - hyped
    *LaMelo
    *Morant - hyped
    *Trae
    Fultz - super hyped
    *Simmons - hyped
    *D'Lo
    Payton - no PGs in Top 6/weak year for PGs (Smart is SG and Exum is a SG and had no experience playing PG before the Jazz tried to make him one)
    Burke - no PGs in Top 6/very weak lottery in general (Oladipo not really PG)
    *Dame
    *Kyrie - hyped
    *Wall - super hyped
    Rubio
    *Rose - super hyped
    *Conley
    Foye - weak year for PGs
    *D-Will/*CP3 - both neck in neck level of hype out of college so will include both

Essentially, the top PG prospect in every draft has turned out good to great if there is a PG prospect worthy of being Top 6. The majority of them go on to become All-Stars (11/17...may become 13/17 in a few years) and around half become All-NBA. Unfortunately, some things like mental issues (Ben Simmons case) or injuries (Wall, Rose, Fultz maybe) cannot be controlled.

However, you're more likely to hit a stud rather than not - especially if the PG has HYPE.

13. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Smh... yes that would be a nice start. Are you sure you wouldn't prefer the Nets throw in a few unprotected 1sts too?

you must have been incredibly disappointed every time you opened your Christmas presents

STOMP

Rastapopoulos likes this.
  14. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

That should be the knock our socks off return we look for with the #3 pick in an elite 3 player draft.

We don't get it, then keep the pick and roll the dice on getting a 19year old superstar. I'll be pretty happy with the latter, not a bad present at all.

HailBlazers likes this.
  15. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

So Portland should deal all their assets for 2035 and after 1sts?

the future is promised to no one

STOMP

16. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    I haven't got through the first page yet. but after reading @Rastapopoulos and @TBpup I'm suddenly feeling like keeping the pick and blowing it up. A lot of it because I really don't want to sign Grant to a big contract. I voted for trade the pick a few minutes ago but now I would be angry if we did. (Fully realizing that we might draft a bust.)
    If i am Cronin, I find the best offer I can for #3, show it to Lillard and talk about how it's not enough. Tell Lillard that you don't want to pay Grant more than 24 million and you think he might go elsewhere and let Lillard decide what he wants to do. Lillard wants to be in on the decision-making, then let him know what you really think.
    I think they will trade the pick though and so I guess I am not going to be happy.

17. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    So, just need to figure out how to acquire two impact plaers with the assets we have?

18. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    As I’ve said in multiple posts, I’m not against a rebuild if Cronin can’t pull off the deals to compete. I’ve also said that the most likely outcome of either the reload around Dame or a complete rebuild is some entertaining basketball and no title. It takes a ton of luck to win an NBA title, especially for small market teams.

19. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

maybe in your mapquest...not mine

20. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Stop… you do not still use Mapquest.