Don't trade the pick

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Trailblazers76, May 18, 2023.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

2. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

that tells me nothing

what if the "golden opportunity" is Dame for Tobias Harris, Tyrese Maxey, and Philly's 2030 1st round pick. When would Portland be better then?

or for Jaylen Brown who then signs with another team in 2024. when would the Blazers be better after that?

I think people imagining the Blazers getting some godfather return from trading dame are fooling themselves

there is only one real opportunity I see in trading Dame and that's if the Blazers also trade Nurk, Simons, and Grant at the same time. Trade every asset that would bring back draft capital. Then field a crappy team for 2-4 seasons and load up on more high lottery picks and roll the dice. If Dame asks to be traded and the Blazers don't do that they are totally mismanaged under terrible ownership

3. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Insider rumor has Mike Schmidt saying we're not trading the #3 pick

4. wizenheimer

is 'insider rumor' some blog?

5. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Dame for Knicks unprotected 2024 2026 2028 2030 picks, unprotected swaps in 2025 2027 2029 and salary filler (Fournier etc) I've had Knick fans tell me they'd do it.

Dame for Ben Simmons(salary filler only) and every one of the Nets valuable picks unprotected, they have some great ones from Durant trade and have freed up their own 2028 2030 ones

Dame for #4 and salary filler and two future firsts. Houston wants to win now with Ime. Maybe they aim to sign Harden too.

These are just a few rough ideas, also see Paul George, Anthony Davis, Donovan Mitchell, Rudy Gobert, and Kevin Durant trades for examples of teams that got a nice haul.

CJ_is_Gone likes this.
  6. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

Ghastly

7. CJ_is_Gone

CJ_is_Gone Well-Known Member

I saw Stotts sitting on the bench of the NBA Combine scrimmage...
    Does that count for anything?

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  8. wizenheimer

I do not believe, for a single second, that any of those trades would be offered. Not for one damn second. It's just hopium propaganda by the trade-Dame narrative

Quatro44, HailBlazers and twobullz like this.
  9. SharpesTriumph

Now if the Blazers do trade Dame, yes it makes sense to trade Nurk too, although I'm not sure he has much value at his overpaid contract. If you can get a 1st round pick or a young player yes do that trade. If not then keep him and hope he gains value closer to the end of his contract.

Ant you could flip for value, but without Dame he might have a bigger role on the offense and increase his value a lot in the months ahead. So I'd explore trade options, especially if we draft Scoot, but there is no urgency to trade him.

Grant can't be traded as a free agent for much value, if Dame were gone then I think contract negotiations with him need to be more strict as its more important he is signed at a reasonable rate where he has positive trade value. Try to be open with him that you want to sign him to a good deal to teach the young guys the first few months of the season, then look to explore trading him to a winner by the deadline assuming the Blazers are expectedly out of the playoffs. If he walks in free agency to another team then so be it, that is better then the Blazers having him on an overpaid contract with negative trade value.

Another advantage to going for a rebuild I don't hear, is the Blazers don't have to do anything to free up the pick owed to Chicago. There actually starts to be a chance that it won't convey. Think of that as a downside risk protection, if the Blazers rebuild gets stalled and takes a few more years to get back to the playoffs than we'd like, at least the Blazers would eventually get their first round pick back from that Nance trade.

10. SharpesTriumph

Why do you think there isn't a single second Dame would have similar value to Gobert?

11. wizenheimer

why do you think there are other idiot GM's besides Minny's that would have that much interest in Dame they'd match what was universally considered the stupidest NBA trade in decades?

HailBlazers and BIG Q like this.
  12. RonBrewer

RonBrewer Well-Known Member

Different assets, different year. No idea what kind of talks have gone on this offseason. I think Dame has an idea of what we can get and i think management has him dialed in. We'll see

13. SharpesTriumph

They don't have to be. Dame is a better player with more value than Gobert.

Maybe it ends up being one less first round picks than these trade, maybe not, whatever.

Point is, there are likely very enticing trade packages that can be explored the whole summer for Dame. The Blazers won't have to settle for some Tobias Harris and spare parts or De'Andre Ayton deal, if ultimately its decided by both himself and the team he should be moved.

14. Bingo Bango

Bingo Bango Well-Known Member

Of course they would—but why would Portland? We wouldn’t get a single thing from that trade in the coming season, and then only mid-level picks in the years afterwards. Horrible deal for a player of Lillard’s stature.

15. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

We finally agree on something. I found the idea ghastly.

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  16. damianlillard

damianlillard Well-Known Member

I think the most likely trade destination for dame is Miami. They can trade herro and lowry along with picks. We then flip herro to the magic where he would fit perfectly with for at least #6, 36, and a future 1st along with Isaac. I bet hornets gonna draft scoot so we take miller. And Walker at 6. We have a good core of simons, sharpe, miller, and Walker already that we just have to fill players around them that fit perfectly. We also can flip lowry for picks too. Isaac probably doesn’t have value so we try to rehab it

17. SharpesTriumph

Could end up with something like four top5 picks those latter years, even a #1 overall picks such as Wemby. Or if you don't want to wait that long, in a year the Blazers flip some of those picks in a few different trades for great starters.

Draft picks are like currency for NBA trades - and that NY example is a shit load of draft equity, up there for the most ever in an NBA trade. From a NY franchise that has some of the least playoff success the last 20 years in the NBA. I doubt NY would offer that trade, but if they do and I'm exploring Dame trades I'd jump on it.

18. SharpesTriumph

Yuck! Miami doesn't have picks, and Herro ain't worth much on his huge contract. No we're not going to be able to flip that for high lottery picks. No thanks. I'd rather just have Dame watch from the bench if it came to that deal.

19. SharpesTriumph

Its funny because two Blazer fans say its such low value its ridiculous and the Blazers would never consider it.

Other Blazer fans are saying its soo much value the Knicks would never consider it and its a ludicrous suggestion.

20. wizenheimer

it's not so much the "value" argument although that's part of it

it's that the Knicks already have Brunson, who was their best player, by far, and they'd be trying pair him & Dame at the same time they give up total control of their picks for 7 years.