Doug Christie Traded To Magic For Cuttino Mobley And Michael Bradley

Discussion in 'Sacramento Kings' started by .cabangbang, Jan 10, 2005.

1. GiantMidget

GiantMidget JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I wouldn't be surprised to see Webber or Peja shipped off this season. I never would have thought that Christie would be traded, but alas, he's gone now. Petrie doesn't allow rumors to start, which is why Kigns trades are so surprising.</div> Christie isnt as valuable or as productive as Peja or Webber.Christie got shipped off because his production has taken a dip,and because the player he was traded for is a significant upgrade.I just dont see how a player being traded is a sign of a domino effect .

2. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Christie was traded because the Kings knew they needed more offense to replace Bobby Jackson. Has nothing to do with DC's production dipping. His offense is not as good this year but his defense doesn't seem that different. Fact is the Kings traded their best defender and a guy who has been on the all defensive team quite a few times for more scoring. They obviously weren't confident in Martin and Evans to score in double fiqures consistantly.

3. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    I believe that this trade may give Sacramento's defense a downslide, I mean Doug Christie has one of the best defensive minds in the game today, it's what makes him so valuable to a team. Cuttino Mobley however is a good scorer and an intelligent player all-around, I think Sacramento fans should welcome this guy with open arms. Orlando most likely got the better of the deal in my honest opinion, they had enough offensive weapons in their arsenal already and adding a defensive genius like Doug Christie could help them better themselves in the playoff run come April.

4. harbingerofdoom

harbingerofdoom JBB JustBBall Member

after having a few days to digest this whole trade, I can see that it was pretty much an even trade.
    Orlando needed someone that knows how to play defense. they dont really have any defensive people other than Christie and they are going to need it.

Sacramento has obviously decided that they are just going to have to rely on team defense or completely overhaul this team. Since they are going with the team defense idea, they needed more offense which is what they got from Mobley. Dont forget, Mobley is known more for his offense than his defense, but he really isnt bad defensivly... just better offensively.

both teams needed exactly what they got out of this deal and so I dont think that either of them really got a steal or that one team really got a better deal than the other.

I will still miss DC's defense in Sac however [​IMG]

5. harbingerofdoom

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting M Two One:</div><div class="quote_post">I believe that this trade may give Sacramento's defense a downslide, I mean Doug Christie has one of the best defensive minds in the game today, it's what makes him so valuable to a team. Cuttino Mobley however is a good scorer and an intelligent player all-around, I think Sacramento fans should welcome this guy with open arms. Orlando most likely got the better of the deal in my honest opinion, they had enough offensive weapons in their arsenal already and adding a defensive genius like Doug Christie could help them better themselves in the playoff run come April.</div>
    I have to agree with Petrie...

...one guy is not going to make or break you defensively. The Kings have enough defensive holes that one man wont really make that much of a difference unless you are talking about someone who is a defensive player of the year candidate (and while I love the defense that Christie brings to the game, that is not him)

so If they are going to rely on the offense carring them though defensive lapses, they might as well make the move they made.

6. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    I don't believe you understood what I wrote exactly, bro. Here I'll show you again and explain better for you (not in an insulting way, just to help out).

"I believe that this trade may give Sacramento's defense a downslide, I mean Doug Christie has one of the best defensive minds in the game today, it's what makes him so valuable to a team."

I meant that his defense is useful for any team, I did not state that it's the most important thing to a team's outcome at the end of the season. I do however believe that the trade favors Orlando because they need more defensive pressure. I hope that clears things up, bro.

7. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting GiantMidget:</div><div class="quote_post">[​IMG] At the Lakers fan trying to say that the acquistion of Mobley is a sign that Webber or Peja is going to be traded.OF COURSE Webber wont be traded.As the best passing big man in the league as well as a very good pf,it would be silly to do given the Kings system.Geoff Petrie isnt silly.As for Peja,if they wouldnt even consider him for Artest then who could he possibly be traded for?</div>
    Take a look at the moves the Kings have made the last two seasons. They are slowly reloading with younger players and trading away their older stars. Brad Miller and Darius Songalia were brought over to replace Vlade, Mobley has been brought in to replace Christie, it just makes sense for Webber to be the next piece of the team to be replaced. Webber is arguably the best passing big man in the league, but he is past his prime and his enormous contract makes it hard for the Kings to be a player in free agency. The Kings do not have the talent to win the title this season and Webber isn't getting any younger. Webber is a great player, but he's injury prone and has been a perennial choker in big games.

So with that being said, why wouldn't the Kings consider trading Webber? Every year they wait, the less valuable he becomes. Every year they wait is one less year the future of this team has to play with his eventual replacement.

8. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

At first I didn't understand this trade for the Magic. But now I don't understand why the Kings did this trade. Sure they lost BJax for the season, but he does get hurt almost every year with a major injury, but the Kings still seem to do fine offensively without him. Now they traded Christie who is obviously the best defensive player on the team, for predominately offense in Cuttino Mobley. In my opinion I don't believe in fixing something that isn't broken, yeah the Kings aren't making the Finals or anything but Christie was always valuable to them, we all know about his defense. But Christie was a reliable offensive player at times as well. No, he wasn't a scoring juggernaut but Christie was a consistent mid range shooter.

Now the Kings have upgraded their offense by adding Mobley but downgraded their defense by trading Christie, come playoff time your team needs a good on ball defender, I'd like to see how Mobley can fill that void for the Kings.

9. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Silky:</div><div class="quote_post">In my opinion I don't believe in fixing something that isn't broken, yeah the Kings aren't making the Finals or anything</div>I think you just contradicted yourself right there. The Kings want to be championship caliber, not just good. Sometimes you have to make moves that'll help in the future. So while this might be a slight downgrade defensively, they can deal with that because the team is better suited for the future.

10. GiantMidget

GiantMidget JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Kings do not have the talent to win the title this season and Webber isn't getting any younger. Webber is a great player, but he's injury prone and has been a perennial choker in big games. </div> Im thinking maybe you didnt mean to say talent.The Kings are VERY talented.The only teams i can think of with more talent is maybe the Suns or Pistons.The Kings starting 5 is crazy and their bench is decent.shapecity,i'd appreciate an example of how Webber is a "perennial choker".I cant help but assume youve said this because of your natural disliking for the Kings.Surely you arent referring to his missed 3 point attempt at the buzzer against the twolves last year,he has no business shooting 3's.
    It still doesnt seem like anyone realizes how good Mobley is on defense.As far as im concerned the only thing the Kings have less of after the trade is size.The reason the Kings are getting younger after their trades is because thats the only possible result the trades could have as far as age is concerned.Vlade's an old man,Christie's getting old and probably doesnt have alot of good bball left.Then theres Webber.It makes sense when looking at it this way that Webber will be traded.However,everyone has to consider that Webber is a 21 10 and 5 player.If youre going to try and reason that its a sign of Webber being traded then you have to compare the players stats at the time they were traded.You have to believe that as long as Webber fills the stat sheet like this a change of scenery is unlikely.

11. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Maybe 'talent' was the wrong word to describe the Kings, they are loaded and deep with talent. However, despite their talent level they are not a top caliber team in the league and will not win a title this season or next season. The type of team they put on the floor produces for regular season games, but come playoff time the Kings are going to be dismissed again in the second or third round.

Webber is a perennial choker, it has nothing to do with my dislike for the Kings, it's a fact. He cannot produce in the clutch and when his team counts on him to make the winning shot he comes up short. In the last few crucial playoff games he's missed free throws, he's turned the ball over, he's missed open looks, and he has shyed away from the responsibility of saying "Give me the ball, I'm going to win it for us."

Is Webber a great player, absolutely, but his level of play has declined across the board. The only area he's finally improved on is his free throw shooting. With the salary Webber is making, and will be making the next three years, the Kings have to be concerned.

12. harbingerofdoom

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting M Two One:</div><div class="quote_post">I don't believe you understood what I wrote exactly, bro. Here I'll show you again and explain better for you (not in an insulting way, just to help out).

"I believe that this trade may give Sacramento's defense a downslide, I mean Doug Christie has one of the best defensive minds in the game today, it's what makes him so valuable to a team."

I meant that his defense is useful for any team, I did not state that it's the most important thing to a team's outcome at the end of the season. I do however believe that the trade favors Orlando because they need more defensive pressure. I hope that clears things up, bro.</div>
    no, I understood and for the most part I agree with what you are saying. I just dont think that its that big a downslide considering the fact that no one has ever accused the Kings of being a defensive team without wearing a straight-jacket...

13. harbingerofdoom

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Take a look at the moves the Kings have made the last two seasons. They are slowly reloading with younger players and trading away their older stars. Brad Miller and Darius Songalia were brought over to replace Vlade, Mobley has been brought in to replace Christie, it just makes sense for Webber to be the next piece of the team to be replaced. Webber is arguably the best passing big man in the league, but he is past his prime and his enormous contract makes it hard for the Kings to be a player in free agency. The Kings do not have the talent to win the title this season and Webber isn't getting any younger. Webber is a great player, but he's injury prone and has been a perennial choker in big games.

So with that being said, why wouldn't the Kings consider trading Webber? Every year they wait, the less valuable he becomes. Every year they wait is one less year the future of this team has to play with his eventual replacement.</div>
    I'm pretty sure that if something good came along in regards to trading Webber, Petrie would pull the trigger on it. I just dont think that anything that great is going to come along. You cant just pluck a 4 with the ability to pass the ball as well as he does off the nearest tree. Part of that is his age & his contract... the other part is (even though he isnt playing like it right now) the questions surrounding his knee. He is playing great right now, but is he going to play like this in the post season? wont know till it comes around.