Notice {Draft} Call it now!

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Jun 6, 2018.

1. LayneStaley

LayneStaley Well-Known Member

Badass
    Of course DAL would have to be stupid to do this.

2. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Trade CJ to the Grizz for Parsons and 4 (Bamba). TPE to get Faried and 14. 14, 24, our 2019 1st rounder (unprotected) and our 2021 1st lottery protected to Orlando for 6 (Mikal Bridges). Dame, Bridges, Chief, Bamba and Nurk (twin towers). We get much better defensively and still have quite a bit of three point shooting, not to mention the transition baskets that we'll get from our defense. Our bench will be filled with a weird assortment of parts Turner, Parsons, Moe, Manimal, Collins, Meyers and a re-signed Shabazz.

3. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Yeah but we cannot get no. 6 for that package but we don’t need either because Bridges won’t go sixth overall. If we have no. 4 and no. 6 I think that would almost get us Doncic and JJJ but we obviously won’t get those picks.

The highest we can get is no. 11 from Charlotte. Any higher would require us to trade CJ which we obviously won’t do for a pick but I also doubt anyone from top 10 would take CJ for their pick when they are in rebuilding mode.

4. blazerkor

I think Orlando needs a lot more than one player, that's why I had them trading down for multiple picks in multiple drafts. The Grizz need contributors, like CJ, now. Conley and Gasol are ready to go if healthy. Getting a guy like CJ and getting rid of Parsons might be worth that 4th pick. Now do I think that all of these moving parts makes my dream scenario likely... maybe not but I think if everything clicked the Grizz and Magic would be getting fair value.

5. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Orlando cannot even draft any good talent in the top 10. If you give them 100 shots outside of lottery they are going to just draft 100 G-League quality players.

CJ for no. 4 and Parsons is actually realistic and probably a better deal for Memphis than for us. Thing is we won't let CJ go.

BonesJones likes this.
  6. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    You say that like it’s a bad thing.

7. blazerkor

Dame and CJ are both great but I like Dame more and at this point I think it's one or the other. They both like to dribble and get their own shots and neither can defend the 2. We got swept and I think it's time to get what we can for CJ and let both guys be more successful on their own.

8. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    And that’s a reasonable position. I’m just saying that trading CJ and only getting back a lottery pick and an overpaid journeyman is a bad idea. The lottery pick won’t fit Dame’s window, which means he’s not going to be happy staying here and wasting his prime years. That’s a move you make when you want to do a total rebuild.

Hoopguru likes this.
  9. DaLincolnJones

DaLincolnJones Well-Known Member

Best case we draft Donte DiVincenzo to play behind our starters.

Worst case we draft Donte DiVincenzo and he gets played as a spot up three or as a four in a piss poor small ball rotation.

10. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

That Frazier kid looked pretty impressive.

11. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Draft Simons.

How to get to the 2nd round? Just F-up less.

12. rotary111

rotary111 Well-Known Member

Real Estate.
    Just because we trade CJ doesn't mean that we are blowing it up and that we will be worse than last season. Drafting a top 5 pick (LUKA!) and picking up a Tyreke Evans for example could be a much much better team than we had last season. We don't need to replace all of the points scored by CJ from just one person. We need more people involved in the offense and less people standing around watching. Even some of the players said that after the season.

IF they can find a way to keep CJ and somehow add a good enough shooter or 2 without breaking them up .... i would love it. I just don't see a good enough team coming from it especially with the super teams being put together now.

13. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

I feel like Michael Porter Jr. would be Neil's (and Stotts') "pants-tightening" guy. I looked at him as a dark-horse trade-up candidate if he fell to 10 or so. But with the (smokescreen?) talk that he may go to SAC at 2, that's out. The dude has some legit injury risk (back surgery at 18?), but he's like if Durant had a slower shot and played more D.

Personally I still like Doncic. A lot.

This draft feels weird to me. I get the 2012 vibe (where you pretty much knew Davis was going #1, but there were a lot of intriguing prospects 2-6 and someone like Drummond who was going to fall, which gives me a bit of hope). But I also think that there is enough overlap (and enough GMs who are looking draft instead of FA to build/rebuild) that, similar to how NYK was begging Steph to fall to them in 2009 (after MIN stupidly took 2 PGs in Rubio and Flynn before him #syracuse), we'd end up one spot short if we tried to move up. Of the lotto folks:
    1) PHX is almost a lock to hold on to Ayton
    2) SAC whoTF knows? I have confidence in Vlade messing this up.
    3) I don't see us drafting any of the small guards ("scoring" or otherwise, like Trae Young, Sexton, Shai G-A or Holiday) that high.
    4) I think that between re-signing Nurk, and having Zach around, the "project big man/scoring big" isn't a "go all in for a lotto pick" move. That may preclude Bagley (who I think is ATL's pick for some weird reason), Bamba, Carter, Knox.

Leaves Doncic, JacksonJr., PorterJr. and the Bridges boys as likely lotto picks that make some level of sense (to me, at least). Now, the costs of getting up there? Probably too high. It will likely have to be a double move (24+something gets maybe 13 from Clips if they don't move up themselves? 24+veteran+future1st to PHI at 10 is probably the highest 1-move they can do without CJ, but maybe they can hoodwink someone).

Also not likely to happen, but alternatively I'd like to trade 24 to ATL for 30/34. If not, use the 2.5M we have left and buy a 2nd for whoever of TrentJr., Simons, Brunson or Allen is left to give us some cheap SG help.

BBert likes this.
  14. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Oh Porter may well fall to 7-9 range but the team he falls to won't be keen on trading the opportunity to have him, they'll feel lucky that he's still there. Sacramento won't take him 2nd and I truly don't think Memphis will take him 4th either. If either of them do then IMO Bagley will fall to 7-9 range and that's an interesting prospect too.

If Trae Young truly goes to Atlanta with no. 3 and Sacramento don't take Doncic it'll turn the entire draft upside down.

BBert likes this.
  15. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

I've come to the realization that passing on Doncic in this draft would be a catastrophic mistake. He is Joe Johnson with better passing. That kind of player is invaluable in this current NBA

16. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Joe Johnson? Lol. I don't see it.

17. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Lol. Look harder.

18. LayneStaley

LayneStaley Well-Known Member

Badass
    Doncic and Zach together for next 15 years would be awesome.

rotary111 likes this.
  19. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    The Blazers move up to acquire an asset for another move after July 1.

They also acquire the #39 pick from the 76'ers. :matrix:

20. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    As in trade for higher draft pick that will end up being traded later?

TBpup likes this.