Draft Capsule: Carl English

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Shapecity, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

VITALS: 6-5, 201, senior, Hawaii

OVERVIEW: English is an early entry candidate who played at Hawaii and was named to the Western Athletic Conference first team after averaging 19.6 points last season for the Rainbow Warriors. The Canadian has displayed a terrific 3-point stroke in his career, shooting 39 percent in his career. English played on a team that made the NCAA Tournament two seasons ago. English totalled 607 points last season, the fifth-highest single-season total in school history. Although English is known mainly for his outside shooting, he has improved other areas of his game. English comes from a big family with seven brothers and one sister.

LIKELY DRAFT POSITION: Second round. Toronto is the favorite to select English. Assistant coach Jay Triano is familiar with English because of the time they spent together with the Canadian national team. In addition to the Raptors, Atlanta, Indiana, Memphis, Minnesota, New Orleans, Philadelphia and Utah have all worked out English.

COMPARATIVE UPSIDE: Bob Sura

COMPARATIVE DOWNSIDE: Rex Walters

ROLE PROJECTION: Key reserve.

POSITIVES: English is a consistent outside shooter with good decision-making skills. He played the point guard position as a sophomore and understands how to play. What is more impressive, however, is his maturity and dedication. English lost both of his parents in a fire at a young age. He was raised by his relatives on the family farm, located in a town of just 35 people. Last summer, English gave up an opportunity to play for the Canadian national team to work on that farm.

SHORTCOMINGS: Although English is a solid athlete who can create his own shot off the dribble, he has trouble protecting his dribble or getting past particularly quick guards. Defense is also a slight concern with English. If you cannot stay in front of your opponent, you cannot stop them from scoring.

WHAT THEY'RE SAYING: "I saw him a lot when he played point guard as a sophomore. Carl's a great success story. He brings a lot of things, great determination, and he's a skilled player. He can play in the league." NBA director of scouting Marty Blake

2. Kid Canada

Kid Canada JBB Banned Member

I hope the raps some how get this guy.

3. STC

STC JBB JustBBall Member

I am not his biggest fan. I like his size for a SG. Marty Blake talks good about everyone it seems though. Last year he was talking about how Lenny Cooke was a first rounder or some crap.

4. jbbFranchise

jbbFranchise JBB JustBBall Member

This guy is a workhorse, he has done so much to get to this stage, i think if he keeps up his work he'll be a great 6th man. I have no idea why they would compare him to bob sura...

more on carl english from NBA.com

Carl English Profile

5. STC

STC JBB JustBBall Member

Why no Bob Sura? Shooters, size.

Getting a Bob Sura out of a pick that low, and a guy that plays 10 years, is a steal.

6. olskoolfunktitude

olskoolfunktitude JBB The Pig Pirate

Where do u suppose collison will go