DRAFT NIGHT 2022 Predictions | Draft Night Trades | More

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BoomChakaLaka, May 18, 2022.

1. HoopsFanAZ

HoopsFanAZ Well-Known Member

“For the purposes of what these trades are trying to do (get us closer to being a legit contender starting with the upcoming season) I would actually much rather find a way to get value out of the Bucks pick as opposed to trading the 36th pick. […] If the mission is to get a chip with Dame then that Bucks pick is only really valuable if it's traded.”

I’m less tied to a particular trade or draftee … compared to this essential point. And making a trade more favorable towards Detroit or anyone else to increase those odds is just the cost of doing business. I actually expect Cronin will make this a big off-season. The risk of not doing so is high, and the one thing I don’t expect is a repeat of the Summer of Crappy Contracts.
    :cheers:

2. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

yeah, I know, quoting myself...what a dipshit

but I've been thinking about that trade and what Detroit's motivation might be to agree:

* the first assumption is that Cronin has the balls to refuse to trade 7 for Grant.

* it sure doesn't look like Grant is in their long-term plans; and it sure doesn't look like the Pistons are in Grant's long term plans. IIRC he has said as such and has certainly implied as such. So Detroit is kind of holding a slightly smelly bag. Grant's value will not be going up between now and the trade deadline; it will only go down. He's an expiring contract at a time when expiring contracts have almost no value. Portland is the only team that has shown, at least publicly, any interest in Grant. There may be a one-team market for him

* it's not like the Pistons would be dropping from #5 to #10. They are only dropping two slots. Which means they only have to game-plan one team, the 6th slot, and that's Indiana. What are the realistic chances that both Detroit and Indiana want the same player? That just doesn't seem likely. Meaning that there would be no cost to move down two slots. They could still draft the player they want and they'd also have the 'power' to prevent Portland from taking that player as well

* and if there is no cost, they add a free future 1st round pick while getting what they want from the draft. They also get an immediate 21M in cap-space after the moratorium while still absorbing Bagley's 28M cap-hold. So, if Bagley, for instance, signs for half of his cap-hold, Detroit would have near-max cap-space (and one of the stipulations of the trade could be that the Pistons couldn't go after Nurkic or Simons...?).

not only that, by drafting the player they want at 7 instead of 5 the Pistons save around 1.2M in first year salary and about 10M in the 4 years of the rookie scale

I've actually talked myself into thinking that this trade, while improbable, is not that far-fetched at all depending on how the draft goes. But as I began this post, it pivots on if Cronin has the fortitude to refuse the 7 for Grant

3. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's been a lot talk about trading down but Ive thought we have a good chance of trading up. I proposed a similar trade a while back, 7, Mil 25 & a player for 5 and Grant.
    We could even trade up for Houstons pick.
    I think when the talk about swinging for fence is what Joe should do, trading up qualifies.

4. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Another guy I like for a second rounder is Peyton Watson

TBpup likes this.
  5. BoomChakaLaka

BoomChakaLaka Well-Known Member

Designer / Artist
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico (formerly PDX)
    Trading up to #3 makes some sense if we believe that this college grad has starter-potential at the 3 or 4. Trading our #7, Buck’s #1 (2025) and perhaps our #36 and/or Nas…for Grant and Detroit’s #5 - this is swinging for the fences WITH the insurance of Grant as part of the deal.

And to swing bigger, then let’s trade the Detroit’s #5 along with Bledsoe to NY for Randal and NY’s #11!

We give up:
    #7, #36, (Buck’s 2025) #1 and Little and Bledsoe

in return, we have a lineup:

Dame
    Ant
    Grant
    Randal
    Nurkic

with Watford, Hart, Winslow, G. Smith, Williams, McLemore, K. Johnson, Ingles - as a bench

competitive!

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  6. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

I like the enthusiasm, but Randal is NOT the answer at PF

blazerfan11, cheesehoff and AmirIcon like this.
  7. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

My prediction. When the 7th pick arrives, at least 1 future all-star will still be on the board. Blazers will pass on this player to trade for yet another journeyman vet bandaid.

blazerkor, Natebishop3, TBpup and 2 others like this.
  8. BoomChakaLaka

Designer / Artist
    Any value in trading with Sacramento in efforts to being Sabonis to the Blazers?

Dame
    Ant
    Hart
    Sabonis
    Nurkic

what would this look like?

9. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I think it would look like a really slow front court for us on defense. I also think it would look like the Kings broke the bank to get Sabonis there just to trade him. So I would say no to the trade if I was us and I'd say no to the trade if I was them.

BoomChakaLaka likes this.
  10. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Starting to like this kid

SharpeScooterShooter likes this.
  11. BoomChakaLaka

Designer / Artist
    #7 gets traded
    Sign & Trade away Nurk
    Buck’s #1 (2025) used to move back into this year’s first round

Welcome
    Ayton &
    Grant

12. 42N8Bounce

42N8Bounce Red Hot And Rebuilding

I did a bit of sampling of the mock drafts currently available. Here are the results:

upload_2022-6-14_19-7-42.png

upload_2022-6-14_19-10-15.png

Some things of note:
    - If the Blazers keep the #7 pick, it looks like Bennedict Mathurin is our guy.
    - The player with the most variability in the lottery is Jalen Duren. With an average pick of #10.7, a most common pick of #9, and an average deviation/range of +/- 3.4. He's all over the boards.

Each year I like to put in the college stat into a spreadsheet I created. It calculates a player score similar to PER, but takes into account things like age, team w/l, and strength of schedule. I then take those stats and compare them against over 3,000 college players and adjust their ranking up/down according to the NBA success of the similar college players.

Here are some of the results of this year. Match score is the NBA success of similar college players. BdB score is the raw college stats score I noted above. Essentially, 35-50 is a NBA reserve. 50-65 is a NBA starter. 65+ is an upper level starter.

upload_2022-6-14_19-22-42.png

Keep in mind, the comps are not similar playing styles, but more overall impact to the game with similar best skills.

Each year my spreadsheet finds some gems, and has some misses. It definitely cant 'see' things like BBIQ, motor, drugs, injuries, etc. It just looks at the raw college stats.

I think there are quite a few gems to be found late in this draft. Hopefully the Blazer staff can find a few of them this year!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  13. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Terrific work

42N8Bounce likes this.
  14. KSF-ERIC

KSF-ERIC Well-Known Member

G Smith?

15. KSF-ERIC

KSF-ERIC Well-Known Member

I’d be happy with that. Dame/Hart/Winslow/Grant/Ayton will defend. I can get behind that.

BoomChakaLaka likes this.
  16. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Ugh wish we had the 8th as well. :blush:

17. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    John Butler undrafted?

18. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

Memphis was so sure they were getting the Lakers pick from New Orleans they didn't have any future first round protection.

19. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

20. HoopsFanAZ

HoopsFanAZ Well-Known Member

Detroit selects Keegan Murry at 5. Detroit trades Murray + Grant to Portland for #7, the TPE, MIL '25, Keon Johnson [DET plays in the FA market]

TBpup likes this.