DRAFT NIGHT

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by mrmel29, Jun 22, 2018.

1. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

Struds, you can dislike miller but "soft" I don't think so. This kid is an animal.

K’Andre Miller comes from the school of Brent Burns in that he was a forward who was converted to defenseman. He’s been on the blue-line for a couple of years now, and the results have started to pay dividends.
    What stands out about Miller is his sheer athleticism. At 6’3.25 and 198 pounds - and most of that is pure muscle - he is in a class of his own at the junior level. He has a long reach that he uses to break up zone entry attempts. His strength shows on the ice. He doesn’t exactly have a tough time knocking players off the puck. Among U18 defensemen, he is probably the one I imagine players would least like to engage with in a physical battle.

This kid will get excellent coaching on D at wisconsin for 2 to 3 years and then be ready to join the rangers. The more I see and read of this kid the more I like him. Not concerned we had to give up a mid 2nd to get him as a couple of teams wen tD right after this and could've taken him. We are rebuilding the right way imo and don't forget we have a to of cap space that can be filled with a free agent or 2 once we get closer. Trying to find some more info on our first pick now

2. mrmel29

What I could find. Good size and speed. Seems more of a playmaker than scorer at this point but had scoring surge in russian version of stanley cup finals. Will be in russia for 1 year than will be heading over here. Looks like a riser which I guess is what were swinging for but at this point at least I would still rather have had walstrom. We'll see.

3. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

Agreed, this kid was by far my favorite pick so far. He’s already a stud and think of the room he has to improve while continuing to learn the position. We haven’t had a player like him on the blue line in a long time.

4. theProdigy223

Yep pretty much. That’s not the highlight reel of a top 10 pick. I understand you don’t just judge on highlights, but without that playoff scoring streak the guy goes in the 20s. Just don’t like the pick at all. Hope I’m wrong.

5. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

What the F did they just take a goalie for in the 2nd round?

6. theProdigy223

Hold on we just took a goalie in round 2? A fucking goalie? What in the world are we doing?

7. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

It is really difficult to have faith in Gorton and Clark anymore. I don't know what our direction is and what the F we are doing. It appears we are going to suck for a few years, that is almost a given, but these picks are head scratchers.

And even if Miller turns out to be a good player, the poor use of assets still stands with Gorton. You trade a mid 2nd to move up 4 spots in the 20's? If you like the Russian kid trade down. Take a goalie who was rated lower than 39. He is awful at using his assets properly. And we still have a bunch of RFA's.

This guy is really starting to anger me now. Going to be a LONG handful of years coming up. Wonder what Hank is thinking.

8. RangersFan

This is kind of embarrassing now. Tired of the Rangers thinking they are smarter than everyone else with their ridiculous draft board that is wrong most of the time.

At 39, the Rangers have selected Swedish goalie Olof Lindbom, the first goalie selected in the draft.

He was ranked 59th by The Hockey News and as the 4th best goalie in the draft by McKeens.

He was ranked 91st by McKeens, 251 by Future Considerations, 9th best goalie by ISS, 137th by Hockey Prospect and 53rd by TSN.

TSN's Craig Button said, "strong positioning and doesn't beat himself. Reads plays and is very attuned to the challenges coming his way. Good skill."

His skills were listed by Button as 4/5 for competitiveness and net coverage, 3.5/5 in shill, quickness and rebound control.

With all of the prospects they have, I did not expect the Rangers to go goalie this early in the draft. Obviously he was high on their board and he had some good success for Sweden at international tournaments. He was a teammate at times with Nils Lundqkvist so the Rangers must have seen him a lot and view him as someone who, down the line, could possibly be a starting goalie for the Rangers.

9. Ranger71

I don't have an issue with round 1 except for the trade-up, but taking a goalie rated 6th at his position in the 2nd is ridiculous.

10. RangersFan

Here is why I disagree, value of assets. I may not have an issue with the individual players, I would have taken Wahl or one of the dmen over Kravtsov, but Krav looks like he has good upside so he could be very good. Issue is the value though. Could have traded down and gotten him. Didn't have to deal a 2nd to move up 4 spots. And now take a goalie ranked WAY lower than where we took him.

Makes it appear as if Gorton has no clue how to value assets correctly. But hey, we have our own crazy board...that usually works out well. They had Krav as their 2nd rated forward, if so trade down a few spots.

11. Ranger71

The 2nd round pick is just inexplicable to me with all the goalies in the system and a guy you could've gotten in the 4th probably. I'm starting to wonder if Clark is the guy anymore.

12. mrmel29

I'm not doing any homework on the goalie pick as he's the 5th rated goalie, taken at a position arguably our strongest and makes no sense to me. :curse::curse::curse::curse::curse:. And as Clark Gable would be saying "Frankly my dear I don't give a shit".

13. Ranger71

For some reason it seems this org just doesn't like drafting Canadian prospects.

14. RangersFan

Not getting Kovy isn't so much about the player to me as it is what it represents. Clearly we are all in on this rebuild. We are doing it with later picks though, not top 3 studs, which means this could take YEARS before we sniff good things again. It is very depressing to me. We will be longing for the past 6 years for the next handful plus of years I fear.

Trade Zucc now, why not I say. What is the point of keeping him. And Hank...we'll see what he has to say.

15. Ranger71

We definately have enough D and G prospects for the next 5y.

16. Disturbed

Disturbed Well-Known Member

Software
    I don’t know much about the picks but it’s obvious this is now full rebuild which is probably the right way to do it even if it sucks.

This franchise never bottoms out and never gets top 5 picks. I think they will now. They need to trade Lundqvist now though.

17. strudwickisthebest

strudwickisthebest Well-Known Member

Wow all D... I guess they plan on keeping the forwards they have now for at least 5 years

18. strudwickisthebest

strudwickisthebest Well-Known Member

All Euro players except for Miller. What about Canadians

19. mrmel29

Will be more trade deadline deals for first rounders next season most likely starring zucc and hayes unless Hank decides he'd like to be in another playoff run before he retires and gives the trade ok.

20. RangersFan

Plan appears to be totally bottom out for the next 2 or 3 years and get some top 3 picks, maybe even a # 1 pick, and then build back up in 2022 or so. Is what it is. I would deal Zucc now though (I do not risk injury or poor play this season). And I'd talk to Hank again and say you sure you want to stay here for this? We are going to stink for 3 years or so. Makes no sense for Hank to stay now.

Kovy gone and Tavares not meeting with Rangers. Path is determined. Deal Zucc and talk to Hank now.