DRAFT NIGHT

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by mrmel29, Jun 22, 2018.

1. strudwickisthebest

strudwickisthebest Well-Known Member

The team they have I believe could be an 8th seed. They are a middle of the road team with the guys playing for them. I don’t see a top 5 pick coming anytime soon

2. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

8th seed? Their D is all young kids or old whatever guys. And their forwards are unproven outside of 3 or 4 of them. This is no where near a playoff team currently. I fully believe their plan is to bottom out now. And I'm sure they sign a middle of the road vet or two for 1 or 2 years to work with the kids, but this is a bad team now. Let the kids play and add a couple of high picks the next 2 or 3 years. There's your formula.

3. strudwickisthebest

strudwickisthebest Well-Known Member

I think they can be an 8-10 seed. The players they got rid of sucked

4. NYR2009

NYR2009 Member

Even if they bottom out it still won't help. If Rangers had #1 or #2 pick, would they have chosen Dahlin or Svechnikov? I am not so sure. Clark and Gorton think they are smarter than everyone, but year after year it is proven that they are not. I watched 2010 draft and it was clear Dylan McIirath was not the right choice but they picked them. I trust TV broadcasters more than Gorton and Clarke at this point.

5. nj cup

nj cup Member

8 million a year for another 4 years? No team touching that unless you sweeten it for lindqvist

6. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

They would probably eat some salary in dealing HL but i don't think it happens this season, who knows though. Definately move Z and even Hayes at some point. Shatt could be a possibility too.

7. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

Plus who cares about salary anyway. We have nearly 30 mill in cap space, so we can retain some of his hit and take on a bad contract short term. We will have a team of young kids for 2 years at least. Cap space isn't going to be an issue. If Hank wants to go to a winner instead of playing for a bottom feeder the next 3 years, we'll find a way to deal him. Retain some of his cap hit to maximize pick return. Salary won't be an issue since we can retain and will have tons of cap space as well. I would actually think we can use that to our advantage, taking on a bad contract to add assets.

8. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

Other than Dahlin there were no "sure things" in this draft as is the case in every draft. I can't criticize Gorton when he was able to jettison so many players who aside from Grabner, I wouldn't want back. I liked Gorton's picks of Lias and Chytil, both seemed to perform well overseas and will probably both have a legit shot at making next year's lineup. New coach, hopefully new attitude.

9. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

I'm still ticked about that inexcusable 2nd rounder that Gorton or Sather didn't step in and block like they have no idea of the draft board. Not a good sign from Gorton, or Clark.