Draft thoughts in light of recent events...

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by wtwalker77, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting GSWScruff:</div><div class="quote_post">I don't know, I think he can do fine at small forward. He just needs to continue to play like an actual forward, and not a third guard. I like him operating from the high block when the situation presents itself, and he can easily do that as a 3.</div>
    Yeah but the guy always get beaten from behind the arc or off the dribble. And then on offense he is limited because the opposing 3 can contain him. I dunno I'm still not sold on him being a 3, but he's suprised me.

2. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting hipokrat_x(LV):</div><div class="quote_post">So far I have seen only one game with Andriuskevicius, but I kind of liked what I saw. I think that he is best long term investment that is avaivable there. The best thing about him is that he plays at highest posible level in Europe - Eurolegue (next best league after NBA), and he gets his solid 10 minutes to play there. He is playing in his hometown team, which is known in europe as one of the best basketball schools. 50% of the team stock belongs to Sabonis himselfe, and there are rumors sometimes that hi is working with him individually. So far he has very good conditions to develop, like Biedrins, Darko and other euros did not had. I think that he migth enter the NBA even after one year in Europe.</div>
    Wow thanks. I know that Andriuskevicius has been scouted and hyped up as a possible number one almost three years ago, almost like how Yao Ming was scouted early as three years before the draft going in as a top 10 pick. I mean 7++ footers always attract attention in the league. I think in order to focus more attention on him we'd have to give up some of our rookies and force Bidrens to play power forward. I don't think that will be a bad thing because supposedly Andriuskevicius has international 3 point range, right? And Biedrens' quick lateral movement will go wasted if he's not at the 4 and using that big step to get toward the basket a la Pau Gasol. Tell us anything more you know about seeing him in action since we don't get Euro basketball over here [​IMG]

3. wtwalker77

wtwalker77 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting hipokrat_x(LV):</div><div class="quote_post">So far I have seen only one game with Andriuskevicius, but I kind of liked what I saw. I think that he is best long term investment that is avaivable there. The best thing about him is that he plays at highest posible level in Europe - Eurolegue (next best league after NBA), and he gets his solid 10 minutes to play there. He is playing in his hometown team, which is known in europe as one of the best basketball schools. 50% of the team stock belongs to Sabonis himselfe, and there are rumors sometimes that hi is working with him individually. So far he has very good conditions to develop, like Biedrins, Darko and other euros did not had. I think that he migth enter the NBA even after one year in Europe.</div>
    I left Andiuskivicius off my list because I consider him more of a finesse pf than a banging center. I remember a few articles on espn Insider last year when Ford was covering a pre draft scouting camp for all the top young euros, where Andiuskivicius played and totally surprised everyone.

They heard rumors that he was more of a post player, but when they saw him live, he was more of a perimeter guy. He was still pretty raw (about the same as Biedrins), but he definately had skills and was one of the most coordinated big men Ford had seen in a long time.

hipokrat_x(LV), does that description reflect what you saw when you watched him play?

As for guys like Sheldon Williams and Chris Taft, I don't think they're big enough to play center (true Taft is listed at 6-10, 260 on nbadraft.net, but I'm pretty sure that's inflated).

One guy I forgot to mention, but who's worth keeping an eye on is Johan Petro. For those of you who were around here last year in May, he's the guy I had listed as the Warriors' pick for awhile. He's another project, but he's more of a complete player than Foyle or Biedrins.

But I still think they're better off trading the pick for a center. One option that is growing on me the more I think about it, and plese hold your laughter until I'm done, is Dan Gadzuric. Is he sometimes lazy? Yes. Is he often inconsistent? Yeah. Is he second in the league in rebounds per 48 minutes? Absolutely.

See, every time I think about it, I get mad that the Warriors let Damp go. Okay, they Mullin would have had to overpay to keep him here, but he overpaid for Foyle and Fisher, so what's the problem? Damp was simply the best combination of offense and defense skills for the team. Now with the addition of Baron, it's tough to say whether or not Damp would have gotten enough touches to keep him happy, but it would have been nice to find out for sure.

But since we can't have Damp, Gadzuric is the next closest thing I can think of to him. Hoopshype.com doesn't have a salary listed for him, so I don't know how much he makes, but I think he's certainly someone who could come in and do what the Warriors need him to do.

4. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

[quote name='wtwalker77']

As for guys like Sheldon Williams and Chris Taft, I don't think they're big enough to play center (true Taft is listed at 6-10, 260 on nbadraft.net, but I'm pretty sure that's inflated).

One guy I forgot to mention, but who's worth keeping an eye on is Johan Petro. For those of you who were around here last year in May, he's the guy I had listed as the Warriors' pick for awhile. He's another project, but he's more of a complete player than Foyle or Biedrins.

QUOTE]

I agree with you on these points. I have never seen Taft in person so I dont know if he is really 6'10 but most players height it at least measured in shoes. I have never seen Petro play before, but he does sound like a big athletic center.

5. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

Won't Jason Collins be a FA soon? I think he can be a bargain and can make significant improvements. when I rave about Sheldon williams it's because I have no doubt he will be a very good rebounder-defender,as well as a pretty decent scorer and If the C-PF guys were Murphy-Williams they would be otrebounding most opponents,Williams would add defensive intensity,power,with murph hittin some J's furthur out. Foyle would be in the mix and I'd hope,so would Biedrens and Zarko. I hear about these tall Euros and they have "guard skills" or 3 point range-but they turn out to be averaging 4 boards and playing 12 min in a league where there are fewer legit prospects than are in several of the better college conferences. Gasol,Yao,and some others had established that they had NBA game before getting picked,others,like Biedrens or Darko had proven nothing and were picked on the basis they could be made into good pros,which might be the case,but is no lock. As far as Frye goes,He weighs nearly as much as the 7-3 lithuanian and has more bulk than Cliff Robinson,our former starter. Frye,S Williams,and most draftables except bogut would ideally play power f, but with talented "true" centers in short supply,Brian Grant,Cliffy,Jarron Collins,Kurt Thomas are "forwards" who actually are often playing C. The W's have a history of chasing after guys who,having proven little,were supposed to become legit centers. My instinct is to go the route like the Richardson-Murphy-Arenas draft,taking guys you know can deliver,a what-you-see-is-what-you-get thing. Nba Draft.net's mocks tend to overhype the Euros,the guys who were "projected" since high school-and relatively,the very good college players who actually DO produce get underrated. Draft.Net does reflect rumors,some from real insiders,but whoever is at the root,it's a fad,a pretty high risk crapshoot,if there are also players who can be judged based on present realities

6. upsidedownside7

upsidedownside7 JBB JustBBall Member

Alright this is just an idea so don't go crazy but I think after the season we should trade Pietrus, 2005 lottery pick, Foyle for a good big + filler. Foyle makes 7.2 million dollars next year...That's going to be as much as Murphy's starting salary, that's insane. If we throw in a high pick and young talent we should be able to dump Foyle. If there is a superstar in the draft, we should draft him but there doesn't seem to be one. Looks like Marvin Williams is staying put @ UNC and Taft & Splitter are question marks.

7. Custodianrules2

I haven't give up on Pietrus just yet. He could be more valuable in a bigger trade than just a decent, mediocre center (To give you an idea how thin the center position is, Michael Olowakandi/Rasho Nesterovic are still considered good centers). So nobody is really going to give up their good all-around centers unless it's a big contract or the attitude or injuries are in question... Maybe the Hornets will sweeten the deal in the offseason and give us Jamaal Magloire. Of course, fat chance of that happening (Allan Bristow: fool me once shame on you...), so how about we get Vladimir Stepania and sign him for a short contract?

8. REREM

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting upsidedownside7:</div><div class="quote_post">Alright this is just an idea so don't go crazy but I think after the season we should trade Pietrus, 2005 lottery pick, Foyle for a good big + filler. Foyle makes 7.2 million dollars next year...That's going to be as much as Murphy's starting salary, that's insane. If we throw in a high pick and young talent we should be able to dump Foyle. If there is a superstar in the draft, we should draft him but there doesn't seem to be one. Looks like Marvin Williams is staying put @ UNC and Taft & Splitter are question marks.</div>
    That would be a pretty significant package. And I'm trying to think who,specifically I'd pay that to get. That deal won't get Duncan or garnett and would be way too much to pay for a lot of the lesser names often mentioned in these threads. It would be wacky to give that deal for Curry or Dalembert. Pau Gasol? okay,but Memphis has depth already,and we'd have a Murphy-Gasol front that could be good in a run and score style,but we'd long for a Foyle who could come in and boost the D. Ironically one guy who is just short of All Star is Dampier,but no GM would overpay to reaquire a guy he almost gave away. Ben Wallace? The Pistons might be tempted as Foyle has similar strengths.but they just won it all with him their heart. We'd be getting a guy who is not cheap,is not a scorer,is not that young,so it would be unlikely to happen. Guys like Ilgauskas or Divac used to be who you might look to but they are older,injury prone and have pretty fat contracts. The Warriors may pick Warrick who is in the draft for sure and can play for sure,and then hope one of their young Euros pans out. I wonder if that offer would get us Okeafor?

9. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting REREM:</div><div class="quote_post">I wonder if that offer would get us Okeafor?</div>
    Heh, I doubt the Bobcats would give up their franchise rookie and possible rookie of the year winner. The guy is pretty solid.

10. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

^He's a soon to be 20/10/3 player. He's a star big man right now in the East

11. wtwalker77

wtwalker77 JBB JustBBall Member

I think you can forget about Okafor, he pretty much defines the term "untradeable." Great player, great citizen, still on his rookie contract...I don't know if there's any one guy on the Warriors that the Bobcats would be willing to give up Okafor for.

Besides, if he's not playing center in the East, he can't play center in the West.

12. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting wtwalker77:</div><div class="quote_post">I think you can forget about Okafor, he pretty much defines the term "untradeable." Great player, great citizen, still on his rookie contract...I don't know if there's any one guy on the Warriors that the Bobcats would be willing to give up Okafor for.

Besides, if he's not playing center in the East, he can't play center in the West.</div>
    Yeah that's what I'm talking about.
    Also, the guy is really smart. I think he got something like a near perfect GPA and finished college early before going into the NBA. You always have to respect student athletes that can keep their grades up and have the willingness to finish college. Not many NBA players like that anymore.

13. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah that's what I'm talking about.
    Also, the guy is really smart. I think he got something like a near perfect GPA and finished college early before going into the NBA. You always have to respect student athletes that can keep their grades up and have the willingness to finish college. Not many NBA players like that anymore.</div>

Ypu. Excactly why I though LeBron threw his education away once he asked for million to compete in the Slam Dunk Contest [​IMG]

14. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting J-Rich23:</div><div class="quote_post">Ypu. Excactly why I though LeBron threw his education away once he asked for million to compete in the Slam Dunk Contest [​IMG]</div>
    I don't think Lebron would have gotten schooled by Josh Smith if that's what you were thinking. Lebron owns.

15. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">I don't think Lebron would have gotten schooled by Josh Smith if that's what you were thinking. Lebron owns.</div>

LeBron doesn't own as much dunking recognition as J-Rich [​IMG]

16. REREM

If that deal were Rd 1 pick,Foyle and Dunleavy,Charlotte might think they could draft an ACC guy,Paul,maybe Marvin Williams and draw more fans. It would be a steal,I agree,but to Charlotte,Dunleavy,Foyle and that pick may look better than it does to us.

17. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting REREM:</div><div class="quote_post">If that deal were Rd 1 pick,Foyle and Dunleavy,Charlotte might think they could draft an ACC guy,Paul,maybe Marvin Williams and draw more fans. It would be a steal,I agree,but to Charlotte,Dunleavy,Foyle and that pick may look better than it does to us.</div>
    Foyle's contract is pretty much untouchable. Nobody wants anything to do with that size and length, especially after the new CBA. But I could be wrong.

18. REREM

in recent years I have seen a number of deals go down that made little sense,of course the Warriors were on the short end of some of those,but other teams also make moves I'd see as questionable,at best.

19. upsidedownside7

upsidedownside7 JBB JustBBall Member

Just watched Taft

I think Taft read my last post about him because he tore up Notre Dame. 26 points and 11 boards not to mention blocking the living bejeesus out of Torin Francis. I'm still not sure about this kid but he's got very soft hands and showed some real good post moves. That alone is probably way he's always mentioned in the lottery.

20. Custodianrules2

Taft could be worth the risk. I mean where else do we find any low post guy with the footwork, leaping ability, shotblocking and passing skills?