Draft

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by twobullz, Aug 8, 2020.

1. damianlillard

damianlillard Well-Known Member

Seriously! He’s just seem like a great fit for this blazers team. He’s a solid 3 point shooter, play good defense, and has an underrated playmaking skills. He may not have the highest ceiling or the most athletic guy but he will become that solid role player that every title contender covet. I seriously see him becoming very similar to Trent with a little better playmaking skills. In this draft I would be very happy if Saddiq does become like him

oldmangrouch likes this.
  2. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Yuck. A Huskie team with 2 projected 1st round picks finished last in the PAC. I wouldn't touch that kid with a 12' Estonian.

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  3. Magic's Johnson

Magic's Johnson New Member

There’s a lot of speculation that 1st round picks will be for sale this year. But this guy apparently might fall to even the mid second round but I think Tre Jones is someone you need to get. Kind of in the same mold as Gary Trent Jr, really the forgotten high profile recruit of their class, but probably the most likely to be valuable contributors to a championship team the soonest. He’s basically a bigger and better defending version as Tyus Jones, who I think is a pretty good backup point guard. I could see Tre Jones becoming Fred VanVleet eventually.

An all-Duke scrappy defensive-minded backup backcourt with size to backup Dame and CJ would be fun. If he falls to the second round, there’s no reason we wouldn’t be able to get him. I wouldn’t use our own 14-16th pick to draft him, but if he falls to a pick that we can buy, he’s worth doing that for. Or is this just me that likes the idea of Tre Jones?

4. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

5. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I think we as fans got b t spoiled with Dame. He came right in and lit it up. Most players don't do that. Most stars dont do that. it takes them a season or so. Hell Kobe came in and rode the bench for the most part his first couple of Seasons. Its only your MJs and your Dames and your KGs and LBJs of the world that come right in and take over. Expecting every first rounder or even lottery picks to come right in and be immediate contributors is not reasonable in my opinion. Only a handful (5-10) of first rounders come in every year and have an immediate impact or end up starting.

6. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    If you look at the draft, there was an uncharacteristic slew of excellent choices RIGHT BEFORE we picked Nas. We probably thought we were going to get at least one of them, so Nas was sort of a consolation.
    upload_2020-8-15_10-54-37.png
    I mean, I think we'd all LOVE to have taken Thybulle, Clark, Bazley and possibly even Williams over Nas, but they were gone. Is there an obviously better player than Nas picked later?
    Candidates:
    Eric Paschall at 41 (but his defense is very suspect, and would Nas look good if he'd had the minutes available that Paschall did?)
    Bol Bol at 44. This is probably the one that hurts the most. Perhaps in the old days Paul would've ponied up the money to buy at second rounder and we could've had him.

Ed O likes this.
  7. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    I thought they did, but have seen other takes on it lately. Does anyone have a definitive answer?

8. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    If we truly get the 14th pick then we could end up with the best of both worlds, playoffs and a lottery pick. Freezing the standings makes sense seeing as how not all teams were in Orlando,

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  9. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

10. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

If we win today we will be 16th pick.

11. James lamphear

Update we are the the 16th pick and good chance Bey will still be on the board.

12. perkinsfor3

perkinsfor3 Well-Known Member

I had us taking Bazley and would have loved to trade up if needed. Such a perfect fit.

tester551 likes this.
  13. perkinsfor3

If it turns out to be really cheap to trade up a bit, I wouldnt mind picking Okoro or Patrick Williams.

14. CupWizier

retired
    Several mock drafts show us picking at 14 as it appears the standings for draft might have been frozen when the league was postponed. Seems the best way since not all teams were in Orlando and not all teams played the same amount of games. If true, nice to have the 14th pick and a good chance to make the playoffs also.

15. James lamphear

Tankothon has us picking at 16

16. James lamphear

I like Williams a lot but I a lot mock he is between 13-23.

17. perkinsfor3

Yeah depends on what will happen.

18. CupWizier

retired
    Ok, it looks like I found the answer and we will pick 15th. We would have picked 14th if we didn't make the playoffs, but any team that makes the playoffs from playing in the bubble that wasn't originally in the playoffs when play was stopped will be replaced by the next team and the playoff team will drop out of the lottery. Here's an explanation.

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/06/16/nba-draft-2020-schedule-dates

19. twobullz

twobullz Well-Known Member

I still say I hope we get someone who can at least contribute right away. Our last three #1 picks gave us 3 points and 1 rebound in 7 minutes today.

wizenheimer and oldmangrouch like this.
  20. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I watched Jalen Smith today. He is tailor made for our system imo. Very good in pick and pop. Reminds me of Myles Turner. Don’t need to give a full scouting report but if he’s there when we pick.....