Drew Bledsoe RIP

Discussion in 'NFC East' started by Cowboy71, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Cowboy71

Cowboy71 Dallas Cowboys *********

Now that Tony Romo has qualified for the NFL's passer statistics, the 26-year-old quarterback leads the NFC with a 101.2 rating in five games. Romo's 308-yard, two-touchdown performance in Sunday's win over Arizona vaulted his passer rating to second in the league behind - guess who - Colts quarterback Peyton Manning's 104.5 rating. The two will match up this weekend.

Drew Bledoe RIP. Before he ever stepped on the field for the Cowboys, I knew he would be a question mark, but I didn't understand why. I listened to Patriots fans, and I listened to Bills fans, but all were wrong when explaining the demise of Bledsoe's career with the Cowboys.

The biggest knock on Bledsoe was always his lack of mobility. The problem ended up being that he held the ball too long waiting for Terry Glenn to get open. Sure, you can say that a QB needs to move around in the pocket, but there were plenty of times where Bledsoe was sacked after more than 5 seconds, and he didn't even move. I don't care what line you have, you can't hold blocks forever and even if you make minor movements in the pocket, defenders will eventually get you. There were plays that you could tell he was going to use 1 second more than the line gave him, regardless of how long they held off the rush.

He didnt appear to be a big fan of Owens, but who is. However, he did not get the ball to Jason Witten, and that is a must. OK, some of the time Witten was kept in for mass-protect, but there were plenty of other opportunities that were missed.

I'm not sure why Bledsoe refuses to get rid of the ball, but it will cost him his career. He has stated that he doesn't want to be a backup, and I don't imagine there will be any teams offering a start guarantee next year. Its sad, because I'm convinced that he still has a lot of physical talent to offer. It just seems that there is a mental block thats getting worse rather than better.

I wonder what direction Dallas will go with next year for a backup.

2. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cowboy71)</div><div class='quotemain'>He didnt appear to be a big fan of Owens, but who is. However, he did not get the ball to Jason Witten, and that is a must. OK, some of the time Witten was kept in for mass-protect, but there were plenty of other opportunities that were missed.</div>
    I recall highlights from training camp where he was doing his best @ feigning interest in one of TO's lectures while walking off the field. Not getting the ball to Witten when he was part of the passing game was not wise IMO.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cowboy71)</div><div class='quotemain'>I wonder what direction Dallas will go with next year for a backup.</div>
    Daunte Culpepper? I'm serious.[​IMG]

3. bakes781

bakes781 nfl-*****s member

The problem with Bledsoe is not just his lack of mobility. He lacks the touch on the short to intermediate throws. His rocket arm is great for the long ball, but you better hope that WR gets in the endzone. Because once Drew's in a goalline situation his inability to throw a fade in the corner really diminishes his value.

4. MKIV_Supra

MKIV_Supra 2006 NFL-*****s FF Grand Champion

He dodged the inevitable cancer that is beginning to spread in Dallas. Now Romo is the next victim and will join Garcia and McNabb later.

5. cubuffsman78

cubuffsman78 nfl-*****s member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MKIV_Supra)</div><div class='quotemain'>He dodged the inevitable cancer that is beginning to spread in Dallas. Now Romo is the next victim and will join Garcia and McNabb later.</div>
    Dunno if anyone noticed...but TO was pretty quiet last week after that Redskins loss and he did his asleep in the endzone routine.

6. MKIV_Supra

MKIV_Supra 2006 NFL-*****s FF Grand Champion

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cubuffsman78)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MKIV_Supra)</div><div class='quotemain'>He dodged the inevitable cancer that is beginning to spread in Dallas. Now Romo is the next victim and will join Garcia and McNabb later.</div>
    Dunno if anyone noticed...but TO was pretty quiet last week after that Redskins loss and he did his asleep in the endzone routine.</div>
    You may never know with him, one day he's quiet and the next he's making headlines.

7. Bears#1Fan

Bears#1Fan nfl-*****s member

T.O is only quiet Because he is Romo's go to guy just like glenn was bledsoes.. so aslong as T.O is getting enough balls and TDs win or lose he won't say much and will come off nice.. once his personal numbers start to drop you will see T.O for the real guy he is a selfish player where he will talk about romo and whats wrong with him

8. cubuffsman78

cubuffsman78 nfl-*****s member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bears#1Fan)</div><div class='quotemain'>T.O is only quiet Because he is Romo's go to guy just like glenn was bledsoes.. so aslong as T.O is getting enough balls and TDs win or lose he won't say much and will come off nice.. once his personal numbers start to drop you will see T.O for the real guy he is a selfish player where he will talk about romo and whats wrong with him</div>
    Then what's the excuse with the Eagles? His production wasn't slipping during that season. Plus, he never attacked Bledsoe. The media took his, "We are a better team when I get the ball earlier in the game" quote and ran with it. Here's the rub....was he wrong? I'm not a T.O. guy. In fact, I find it rather odd that I'm sticking up for him. But living right outside the Dallas area and listening to all of the sports talk shows there, I'm kinda surprised how eager the media gets to eat this guy alive. Personally, I haven't found him very offensive this year at all considering how bad he's been in the past. The sleeping in the end zone thing bothered me, but past that I'm not upset with him for his off the field stuff. I'm more upset about the dropped balls more than anything.

9. McChicken5

McChicken5 nfl-*****s member

What i love about this season is T.O is so confused, he has two quaterbacks who are not the best, and do not match up to Mcnabbs experince or ability, The man has dropped too many balls to count and yet if he gets 1 touchdown out of 20 passes thrown to him, he celebrates as if he madce the whole play happen. Im starting to love how he stops talking because he drops balls that are thrown into his body but still confused at why he feels the need to celebrate like a "retard". I will tell you know when he was on the eagles he did celebrate and i did not care because he was getting the eagles touchdowns but now i can see him for the wr, and person he really is. Its kinda like that kid who talks allot and dont stop talking about there team and then when they suck they suddenly stop talking, and then if they win a game they start talking again. And just incase bearsFan has something to say about "eagles fans" doing this or me being a hypicrite, Bearsfan all last year even while eagles were 6-10 I talked about my team being the best in the nfc and the year only being a fluke, im a diehard fan and no matter what circumstance i belive eagles can win. Just had to get that in before Bearsfan did.