Drew Gooden Trade?

Discussion in 'Orlando Magic' started by DirtySouth, Jul 12, 2004.

1. magicfandan

magicfandan JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting crazytown:</div><div class="quote_post"> BTW-What paper does Vescey write for? I can't find his columns online anywhere. [​IMG]</div>

I think Peter Vescey writes for the NY Post.

2. MainMan

MainMan JBB JustBBall Member

Not sure its on the channel 9 news orladno site, wftv.com i think it is, you just gotta look around the sports section of it

3. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

Yes Gooden has all-star potential and Yes I'd love him to stay in Orlando, but we have to face it that he WILL not blossom in Orlando, now that we have gotten Dwight. He will be a bench warmer. This is about as high as his trade value will get. It's not gonna get any higher, when the same thing that happened last year happens this year. Drew Gooden will not get consistent mins. When he gets good mins, he will shine, but with Dwight, he just won't get those mins. Unless we have Dwight play SF and Gooden play PF. If somehow we can get Gooden those minutes. I would do this deal, just because we get another rising star, one of the best Defensive presences in the league for a bench player, a very underrated player and a future 1st(or Cato). If it's with Cato, this deal won't go down for nearly 50 days. (We can't deal Cato and Mobley for 60 days, we can though if they aren't in the same trade.) We could also do 3 different deals. Cato for Dampier, Gooden for Jrich, and Mobley for someone with a similar deal and that would work.

4. crazytown

crazytown JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I still believe Drew Gooden is underrated because he has yet to play at his natural position without a distraction. First he had to deal with Gasol, then Juwan Howard, now he's looking at a situation with Dwight Howard.</div>

Isn't that more of a reason to trade him? We've got no room for him here. If I was in his shoes, I'd bolt too if I didn't think I deserved to be a bench player. I'm sure he'll do well on some other team.

Personally, I don't think this trade will go down as Francis would just start crying again.

5. MainMan

they could throw stevenson in there for a sign and trade too, right?

6. GatorsowntheNCAA

I don't think Franchise would start crying if he realized that the team would be better. I mean Jason Richardson, a fun to watch rising star. He will definetely help him out. He will have someone to throw alley oops too. [​IMG] Yes him and Mobley are friends, but Tmac and Mike Miller got over it. Need I mention he also gets a better Defensive center than Cato, oh yeah, Dampier can score too.

7. crazytown

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting sportsrock37:</div><div class="quote_post">I don't think Franchise would start crying if he realized that the team would be better. I mean Jason Richardson, a fun to watch rising star. He will definetely help him out. He will have someone to throw alley oops too. [​IMG] Yes him and Mobley are friends, but Tmac and Mike Miller got over it. Need I mention he also gets a better Defensive center than Cato, oh yeah, Dampier can score too.</div>

I agree. So I'm guessing you and I are the only 2 that like this deal. :two_thumb

8. GatorsowntheNCAA

Probably. We upgrade 2 positions and get a future superstar and a better defensive presence and give up a future superstar that will rot on our bench and 2 downgrades.

Mobley<Jrich
    Cato<Dampier
    Gooden is an extra, but he will just rot on our bench, so give him to a team that will actually play him.

9. Ice

Ice JBB Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting crazytown:</div><div class="quote_post">Isn't that more of a reason to trade him? We've got no room for him here. If I was in his shoes, I'd bolt too if I didn't think I deserved to be a bench player. I'm sure he'll do well on some other team. </div>
    Yes, but I think he'll turn into a great player. The type of player that people might say 'Damn they were stupid to let him go.'

*Cough Cough* Ben Wallace.

And it looks as if that will happen, again.

10. GatorsowntheNCAA

You guys know that I'm the biggest Drew Gooden fan and want us to keep him, but I've realized that he's not going to become great in Orlando, because he will just ride the pine. You have to get what you can for someone like that and pray that he won't become what you expect. I mean it's not like we aren't getting a future superstar back for him. J rich is closer to superstar level then Gooden as of now. Dampier is better than Cato.

11. Ice

Ice JBB Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting sportsrock37:</div><div class="quote_post">You guys know that I'm the biggest Drew Gooden fan </div>
    That you are.
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">and want us to keep him, but I've realized that he's not going to become great in Orlando, because he will just ride the pine. You have to get what you can for someone like that and pray that he won't become what you expect. I mean it's not like we aren't getting a future superstar back for him. J rich is closer to superstar level then Gooden as of now. Dampier is better than Cato. </div>
    Yes, however I'd take a foward over a guard anyday. Size is always an advantage. (To an extent obviously, ex: I'd take Kobe over Nene)

I still believe we are giving up too much.

Gooden, Mobley, and Cato for Dampier & Richardson. Little much if you ask me. And Like BN said, Dampier is aging, and his best years are past him.

I wouldn't mind trading Gooden, but in this situation we are giving up too much.

12. MainMan

am I the only magic fan that hates drew gooden and thinks hes worse than juwan howard?

13. crazytown

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">And Like BN said, Dampier is aging, and his best years are past him. </div>

He turns 30 tomorrow(the 14th). That doesn't seem too old to me. If anything, he's been a late bloomer. His #'s have gotten better every year. PLus, outside the Heat and Pistons, he's dominate in the East. With him and Howard crashing the boards we shouldn't have any problem rebounding like we've had the past few years.

14. Ice

Ice JBB Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting crazytown:</div><div class="quote_post">He turns 30 tomorrow(the 14th). That doesn't seem too old to me. If anything, he's been a late bloomer. His #'s have gotten better every year. PLus, outside the Heat and Pistons, he's dominate in the East. With him and Howard crashing the boards we shouldn't have any problem rebounding like we've had the past few years.</div>
    His numbers have improved yes, I'm not questioning his skills.

However, I still don't think he's worth three of our key players. I wouldn't mind giving up Gooden/Cato, or Mobley/Cato, but giving up three of our guys for them doesn't seem worth it in the end.

15. Chef

Chef JBB JustBBall Member

My concern is in the bench now. We are all praying that Hill might get back healthy, but imagine he won't. Gooden would be perfect as a SF.

This line-up:

<div align="center">Cato
    D-Howard
    Gooden
    Mobley
    Francis</div>

is good enough for me. With Jameer coming from the bench, bringing a lot of energy, and Hill making 15-20 minutes/game, we hould have a good starting line-up and two great players off the bench.
    Trading Gooden is a mistake IMO. Dampier is good and J-Rich is better, but we can't give away so much. I would love to see J-Rich in the team alongside Francis and Howard, but isn't that throwing Jameer to the bench for rotting? In a couple of years people would be saying: "We have to trade Jameer because he won't become a superstar in Orlando", just like they are saying now with Gooden. Keep Gooden and trade Hill for J-Rich and Dampier... Now that would be great [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Einitials

Einitials JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Ice:</div><div class="quote_post">His numbers have improved yes, I'm not questioning his skills.

However, I still don't think he's worth three of our key players. I wouldn't mind giving up Gooden/Cato, or Mobley/Cato, but giving up three of our guys for them doesn't seem worth it in the end.</div>
    Jrich and Dampier for Mobley and Cato?

Do you honestly think that's fair.

Can someone explain to me why gooden would make a good sf? Gooden had his best year playing as the starting powerforward for the orlando magic. He can only be productive if he gets the ball in the paint. Healso lacks the speed,handles, and shot to be a small foward.

17. GatorsowntheNCAA

GOODEN WILL NOT AND WILL NEVER BE A SF. If either of them, it would be Dwight at SF. I would much rather Dwight start at SF and Gooden at PF, but that likely won't happen. I still want to keep Gooden, but I would do this deal. We still get a future superstar. and get a good veteran center, who still has a good 3-5 years left in his tank. He had his best year when he was 29, so I really don't think that age is too much of a concern. Like I've been saying, Gooden is one of my favorite players, but I would rather deal Gooden now, when he at least has high value. (getting a future superstar for him) He's gonna rot on our bench and when we want to trade him, we won't be able to. The deal is kind of iffy, I agree, but see if we can get someone else or a future 1st from them, then I would likely do it for sure. (since I would probably do this trade)

The person who said Jameer would rot on the bench, well he's rotting there currently, so this deal doesn't really fix that problem.

18. TimFlem

TimFlem JBB JustBBall Member

Like Ice and some others said we are dealing too much in this one. Sure we'll be getting a future superstar and a veteran C but this is a little too much for my liking. Jason Richardson would be an awsome contribution to the Magic along with Dampier but I just don't think giving that much would be the right thing. I'm a Gooden fan and I beleive he will shine if given the chance. Orlando isn't the best place for him since we have Dwight but I'm sure Gooden won't mind coming off the benching and doing his dizzle.

19. Einitials

Einitials JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting sportsrock37:</div><div class="quote_post">GOODEN WILL NOT AND WILL NEVER BE A SF.</div>
    i'm glad to see someone agrees with me for once.

20. pidandsid

pidandsid JBB JustBBall Member

Gooden is a player the magic has to keep hold of. Dampier would be good to have but he's only put up big numbers in contract years.

Trade Mobley and Declerq? or even Garrity but leave gooden!!!!