Drew Gooden Trade?

Discussion in 'Orlando Magic' started by DirtySouth, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

I am a Warriors fan obviously. When I saw this trade at first I was thinking NO WAY! I love Jrich. I think this is a fairly good trade that works for both sides. If your team makes this trade, you will be automatic contenders, guaranteed. Francis running the point, Jrich finishing breakaway dunks and alleyoops. He can also hit the three with good consistency. He is only getting better. He will be an all star, especially in the east. If Howard pans out this year like Amare did a few years ago, no one will go inside on you. Damp can contain Shaq. He has in the past. Just hope that he was not just playing well for a big contract. If not, then he will dominate the east. He dominated Ben Wallace when they played last year. You guys would be contenders.

2. _BN_

_BN_ JBB JustBBall Member

All this Gooden trade talk got me thinking, why can't Dwight play 3?
    Sure he is a natural 4, but until he gets some meat he can't be a solid power forward. Dwight can definetely run and has some guard skills.
    This would be our likely lineup:

PG: S.Francis
    SG: C.Mobley
    SF: D.Howard
    PF: D.Gooden
    C: C.Cato

Against lineups with better offencive 3s(which is often rare), Orlando could start Hill(If healthy) at small for defencise purposes and leave Dwight at 4, with Gooden on the bench. And if the opposing center is small/weak, Gooden can start at 5, with Cato of the bench.

Somehow the Magic staff has to figure out how to start Gooden for most of the games and give him long minutes, otherwise we should trade him for another big man(most likely a center). Drew is a lot like Dampier, he is not going to play well unless he gets solid time every night.

3. Ice

Ice JBB Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting _BN_:</div><div class="quote_post">All this Gooden trade talk got me thinking, why can't Dwight play 3?
    Sure he is a natural 4, but until he gets some meat he can't be a solid power forward. Dwight can definetely run and has some guard skills.</div>
    And we thought Gooden could play the 3. Didn't work. These guys need to stay at their natural postions, especially since they are so young and inexperienced as it is.

I don't know why, but I'd like to keep the new core of guys we've acquired. Francis is obviously untouchable, but I'd also like to see Cato and Mobley play for us as well. They've played together in the past, so we know the team chemistry is there. Lets keep a good thing.

Drew Gooden is trade bait, and I think we could toss Declerq in a deal for another guard or backup center. I'd like him to stay with us, but I wouldn't mind giving him up IF we get something good in return.

We'd have a roster consisting of Francis, Mobley, Cato, Hedo, Dwight, Bogans, Garrity, etc. Not too bad.

As for Grant Hill, I say lets give him a chance, but have a save backup plan since he'll probably fail.

4. MainMan

MainMan JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">All this Gooden trade talk got me thinking, why can't Dwight play 3?
    Sure he is a natural 4, but until he gets some meat he can't be a solid power forward. Dwight can definetely run and has some guard skills.
    This would be our likely lineup:
    </div>

Remember when antawn jamison played for the warriors, they tried that with him and succeded which made his shot and dribbling skills awesome for a 6'10-6'11 guy. Now look at him though he cant crash the boards at all or even post up which he was notorious doing in college at unc. Let howard grow in to his position. and btw gooden sucks guys, trade him

5. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

Gooden doesn't suck man. If he got the mins he would be a very good player, possibly an All-star. He just won't get those mins here. I like what _BN_ said. That's what I've been saying, start Dwight at 3 and Gooden at 4. If we keep Gooden, we better start him and Dwight some how. I hate seeing Gooden sitting on the bench with all of his potential.

6. MainMan

no he sucks, he takes shots he shouldnt be taking and when he had an easy chance to score he always passed it off instead of getting the east shot. Last year TMAC was all over his ass for doing that, it was like he was a miniture steven hunter. Yea he has energy and is very aggressive against the boards but hes not that great of a player and will never be an all star in his life time, if the draft wasnt so weak he was in he would probably gotten drafted even lower. I dont know what you guys see in him, but me and my friends all agree that he sucks.

7. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MainMan:</div><div class="quote_post">Remember when antawn jamison played for the warriors, they tried that with him and succeded which made his shot and dribbling skills awesome for a 6'10-6'11 guy. Now look at him though he cant crash the boards at all or even post up which he was notorious doing in college at unc. Let howard grow in to his position. and btw gooden sucks guys, trade him</div>

True, but if you remember, he had his worst years at the 3 spot and his best years at the 4 spot. Jamison like Gooden is a tweener. Not quick enough and skilled enough for a SF, but not strong enough to be a PF.

8. MainMan

Yes this is true but Jamison was strong in the beginning but the warriors made him weaker by moving him to the 3, also jamison jumped back in forth from position sometimes so you cant say when he had his best year at what position. Gooden could never contend at SF but PF would be a great position for him if he gained weight in my opinion

9. GatorsowntheNCAA

The reason why we think Gooden is good is because we remember the last playoff series that we participated in. Gooden was a rookie and completely dominated Ben Wallace. Juwan Howard was the problem last year. Gooden needs to start and get 30+ mins every night, he will not be a successful bench player. He will dominate somewhere else. If he will not be a starter, then he should get dealt.

Gooden does take bad shots, but considering that he got inconsistent mins last year, he forced up too many, trying to get the starter spot back. If we promised him the PF position, then he wouldn't take as many bad shots. Defense is coaching. JD can't teach defense, so Gooden likely won't improve dramatically under JD. I still think he could become a less angry Kmart.

10. crazytown

crazytown JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Einitials:</div><div class="quote_post">Jrich and Dampier for Mobley and Cato?

Do you honestly think that's fair.

Can someone explain to me why gooden would make a good sf? Gooden had his best year playing as the starting powerforward for the orlando magic. He can only be productive if he gets the ball in the paint. Healso lacks the speed,handles, and shot to be a small foward.</div>

I can't believe it but Enitials actually made some sense there. Who in the world would trade J-Rich and Dampier for Cato and Mobley?

There are people in here who think trading is a one way street. Sorry, but you gotta give up something if you want something in return.

BTW-Gooden has already proven he can't play the 3. He's too slow to guard the SF's of the league.

I hope this trade goes down. It makes sense for both teams. [​IMG]

11. MainMan

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">considering that he got inconsistent mins last year, he forced up too many</div>

No he just doesnt know how to shot or score in that matter. Although I did admit he was good at crashing the boards in defense, you can always find a player like that and really cheaper than that too *cough *cough Danny Fortsen

12. GatorsowntheNCAA

Somehow he got 20 and 17 in the biggest NBA game he ever played in against Ben Wallace. Naw, he definetely can't score. Last year he had a horrible season, but you have to admit that it was mainly because of Juwan. One game Gooden gets 35 mins and stars, the next he gets 12 and of course he will suck.

13. MainMan

well juwan ruined the whole team, but when gooden garrity played together it was great because garrity is so tall the centers and PFs had to go out in the three point line and gaurd him and thats why gooden got easy shots and a lot of offensive boards, because garrity created shots for everyone, you have to take in the fact thats why the magic sucked last year, garrity and da were gone

14. crazytown

crazytown JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MainMan:</div><div class="quote_post">well juwan ruined the whole team, but when gooden garrity played together it was great because garrity is so tall the centers and PFs had to go out in the three point line and gaurd him and thats why gooden got easy shots and a lot of offensive boards, because garrity created shots for everyone, you have to take in the fact thats why the magic sucked last year, garrity and da were gone</div>

Good point Main. I thinka lot of people don't realize how important Garrity was to this team. This is why it's so important to have a 3pt/ace shooter on your team. (That was a cheap shot at Tmac_Ownz [​IMG] ) It opens up the offense when you got a guy who can flat out shoot the ball. Especially if he's a big guy.

15. TimFlem

TimFlem JBB JustBBall Member

Gooden doesn't suck (and I'm not being biased here) he has yet to play into his potential. As sportsrock said Juwan a.k.a Team Cancer held Gooden back, cuasing Drew to play the way he played that season. Now Howard was said to be able to play the 3(correct me if I'm wrong) before coming into the draft, now people are saying he can't. And if we are going to make this trade we could trade Andrew D. and either Mobley or Gooden instead of both. This would be better for the Magic becuase they won't have to pay Andrew for riding the pine all season. IMO this is the way to go.

16. TMac_OwNz

TMac_OwNz JBB JustBBall Member

I'm too lazy to read all this and I gotta go to work so I don't have much time..I think we should keep Gooden...(btw Ice, Dwight has more outside game than Gooden so don't compare em playing at the 3.) he will be a break out next season maybe the MIP.

Anyways, here is this link which would kill most of this talk.......I completely agree with it...share Minutes with Dwight..and/or rotate them around..you guys get too mixed up and stressed about the mins..look at Detroit they had like 7 PF/C's ...imagine Gooden and Howard all -stars? there will be rotations when Dwight could play the 3..or Center..who knows...I think we should keep Gooden for at least next season..who knows if we get an all-star for him after next season.

Edit:DAMN IT I forgot Link... http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJour...MAG02071104.htm

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The value of Drew Gooden to the Orlando Magic might have been given a boost Tuesday without him so much as lifting a finger.

When Dwight Howard went 1-for-13 from the floor in the Magic's first game of their six-team league for mostly rookies and free agents, it served as a reminder that the 18-year-old forward and No. 1 pick in the NBA Draft is bound to struggle over the course of an 82-game regular season.

With Juwan Howard now a Houston Rocket and Pat Garrity being brought back cautiously from knee surgery, Gooden could become too important of a piece to the puzzle at power forward to be traded.

The thought of Gooden as a steadying influence on a team coming off a 21-61 season would seem strange. He won't turn 23 until September, and his play was often inconsistent or worse during his first full year with the Magic.

But unless the Magic expect Howard to average more than 36 minutes a game as a rookie, as LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony did a year ago in their first seasons, general manager John Weisbrod could be reluctant to part with Gooden.

It also helps that Gooden missed only three games last season because of injuries. His clean bill of health is a contrast to Garrity and Grant Hill.
    </div>

17. GatorsowntheNCAA

I honestly think that this is the highest his trade value will go. We would get a future superstar for him now(Jrich) I want to keep him, but I think Dwight will start and will get 30 mins a game. That leaves Gooden about 15-20 mins if Garrity or Dwight plays some SF.

18. Cain

Cain JBB JustBBall Member

If Dwight doesn't get 30+ minutes he shouldn't have been drafted at #1.

19. GatorsowntheNCAA

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Cain:</div><div class="quote_post">If Dwight doesn't get 30+ minutes he shouldn't have been drafted at #1.</div>

Exactly how I feel. Dwight will start and will play 25-30+ mins a game. Let the kid play through his growing pains. Gooden won't get much of a chance, which is why I want to trade him. Yes Gooden is a future superstar, but we still get a future superstar in Jrich back. With the signing of Turkoglu, I really don't think Dwight and Gooden will both start. (one at SF) That's just too much talent at the PF spot going to waste if we keep them both around and we all know Dwight ain't going anywhere.

20. Wink23

Wink23 JBB JustBBall Member

i think we are all dismissing the fact that we are also getting cliff robinson. he is old, but he is a veteran who can set an example for winning, he is a good outside shooter, and can bring more experienced things to the team that gooden cant. francis, jrich, hill, howard, cato...nice lineup if you ask me, and a great fastbreak team

also new jersey had this kind of team and no one gave them a shot their first year with kidd. they ran and beat everybody, except for the lakers, so we may be a surprise this season [​IMG]