Game Thread Ducks vs E. Wash & Beavers vs Fresno St

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Sep 10, 2022.

1. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

2. bigbailes

bigbailes Well-Known Member

I always love on these national games when fans think the crew is homers for one team. I didn't get to watch but I know the guy calling games and I'm 99.9% sure he has zero ties to Fresno State. I have no idea how he is calling a game, but don't think he had any rooting interest in the Bulldogs.

BoBoBREWSKI likes this.
  3. bigbailes

Totally agree that it's not a "historic" win but I usually hear from OSU fans that the Oregonian never gives the Beavs any love, so I guess it's a take it where you can get it type of situation.

Beavs look like an interesting team, didn't see Fresno being that tough but the MW has been tough on the Pac recently. Good stretch of games with USC, Utah, Stan and Wazzu coming up. Cougs have a similar run up of P12 foes with ucks, Cal, USC before the battle in 1/2 of Reser!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
  4. SlyPokerCat

SlyPokerCat cats rool dogs drool

Go watch it. I wasn't the only one that felt that way. If you know the guy tell him next time to be more down the line with his enthusiasm. They also sucked all around.

bigbailes likes this.
  5. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I was talking about the Oregonian and their ridiculous headline; hyperbole squared

yeah, it doesn't look good for the Pac-10 right now. There may be a better than even chance that Oregon & Washington could be joining the Big-10. Maybe Stanford too. The Big-10 commissioner is definitely gung-ho on further expansion. Big-10 presidents are more conservative though. Still, it makes no sense at all fro USC/UCLA to be on an island 2000 miles from the rest of the conference. That's hard on the LA schools and it's hard on the other teams in their divisions. Maybe not for football, but it is for all the other sports, especially some women's sports. The Big-10 knows this

but, further Big-10 expansion is not certain at all. The irony is that those Pac-12 After Dark games, almost universally hated by Pac-12 fan-bases appear to be the most valuable media asset the Pac has (Big-10 knows this too). Broadcast & streaming media want to be able to fill those 9pm-11pm eastern slots with 'natural' games featuring higher brand teams. So the Pac does have something going for it

problem is that the Pac-10 can't really negotiate any new deals as long as there is uncertainty about Oregon/Washington. It is making it much more difficult for the Big-12 too because there is major uncertainty if they will be adding any Pac-10 teams. Which means that the Big-10 is essentially holding both the Pac-10 and Big-12 hostage. And they are 'waiting' for Notre Dame to shit or get off the pot. In other words, the whole NCAA has Irish constipation

6. bigbailes

HAHAHAHA .... I'm not a friend of his personally, just know him through the business. Again, I didn't watch so can't comment one way or the other. I'd pass your message along but I really don't think he'd care. It is crazy doing even local sports and how some people think we have rooting interests, I can tell you from me and everyone I know that has done my job, that's not true. I guess it's probably different when a team is signing your paycheck like for Demers, but the rest of us just want to tell stories and really don't care who wins and who loses.

7. SlyPokerCat

Then that just means he is pretty bad at his job. If he has no vested interest then he should call a game down the line more.

8. bigbailes

Also interesting that instead of coming together against a common enemy (B10/SEC) the P12 errrr P10 and B12 are trying to eat each other alive.

9. bigbailes

You know what I've never heard a fan say "man that announcer was really on our side" ... no it's either down the middle or against their team. I get it, it's human nature but the over whelming majority of the time, fans think the announcers are too complimentary of the other team. Maybe in this rare case it's true, but trust me they don't care. I'm more annoyed when you can tell announcers haven't done their homework and don't actually know the teams.

10. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

They were something like 0 & 6 against them in Fresno. Historic from the standpoint they broke the ice in Fresno.

hoopsjock and bigbailes like this.
  11. wizenheimer

I think the Big-12 overplayed their hand when it comes to the Pac-10. If USC/UCLA are the only defections from the Pac-12 and Oregon/Washington remain in, all of the Pac-10 teams would prefer to remain in the Pac-10. That would still leave the Pac-10 with the Seattle/Portland/Bay Area/Phoenix media markets. And nationally, Oregon/Washington/Stanford are bigger brands than any team in the Big-12. There is also the prestige factor that Stanford/Cal/Washington are high caliber research institutions.

(related note: fuck the Oregon State Board of Higher Ed. for stripping OHSU away from the UofO in the 70's. If OHSU was still part of the UofO that would make them another high caliber research institution, and give them a lot more leverage)

again, the Pac-10 can offer the Pac-10 After Dark to media. It's a bit of a burden for fans attending games, but to have game starts in the 6pm-8pm local time is not an undue burden. Those same slots for Big12 teams would be 8pm-11pm game starts and that's not practical at all

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  12. SlyPokerCat

I think we can all agree Mike and Mike were major Blazer homers :cool2:

I'll still take them, especially Barretr over Calabro.

13. wizenheimer

Mike & Mike were entertaining. Kevin & Lamar are boring and grate on the nerves (although Hurd has gotten better at his job)

SlyPokerCat likes this.
  14. bigbailes

And their checks were signed by the Blazers, definitely homers and annoying for some to listen to while others loved them.

15. bigbailes

Agree 100% on the Pac12 late games, as much as the B12 likes to boast about their teams/footprint (basically Dallas and Houston), they are still going to be going toe to toe in that early 12E/9P time slot with the B10 and SEC. If it's about tv ratings than the P10 still wins hands down even without the LA schools and that's saying something as I'm told down here in Texas 'football just means more.'

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  16. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Im sure Nebraska fans regret leaving the Big12 5/6 years ago?
    My preference would be to stay in the Pac12, especially now that the playoffs are expanded.

17. wizenheimer

all things being equal, sure

but things aren't equal...they aren't even close to equal. All of the estimates I've seen project that each Big-10 school will receive at least 50M more from their conference, each season, than any optimistic projection of what each Pac-10 team will receive from their conference. That gap might even be closer to 70M/year than 50M/year, especially if the Big-10 is consistently placing 4 teams in the playoffs while the Pac-10 gets 1.

that could be a 500M-700M advantage in a decade, and that's simply way too big a hole. Meanwhile, NIL and the transfer portal will only accelerate the rich getting richer. There is already stratification in college sports. It's about to get much worse over the next 10 years. It sucks for all the teams left out of the two super-conferences; so if a school like Oregon has any opportunity to step into a super-conference and an extra 50-70M/year they absolutely have to take it

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  18. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

How many beers should I shotgun when he causes a fumble?

BoBoBREWSKI likes this.
  19. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

Actually the one of the announcers was talking about Fresno State's team during the game and said "WE". That's pretty telling. As in "WE" have to make sure Oregon State doesn't have too much time left on the clock.

bigbailes likes this.
  20. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

Most Nat'l crews are non partisan. It's easy to tell they just want a good game, no matter what team is up. These guys were not. They were super excited on Fresno plays, and by the book on Beaver plays. They were well informed on both teams, but had an extra giddy up for Fresno. It was on CBS Sports Network. I'm sure they use local talent on many occasions.