Ducks

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Dec 6, 2021.

1. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

How about... the team with the vast majority of both of it's Lines returning beats the heavily favored home team it's entire front 7 off to the NFL? How sweet/ironic would it be if Oregon went on a run next season?

While I think it's sad that the conference is basically dead in the water as far as competing for championships in football especially after 2024, I'm not worried about my Alma mater. Pretty sure they'll figure out a path forward as they've many factors in their favor and regardless of what happens I'll continue to blow out my voice by halftime.

STOMP

2. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

You could have just said Larry Scott and dropped the mike. That said, not surprised it was FOX that unsheathed the actual killing blade

STOMP

Quatro44 and SlyPokerDog like this.
  3. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

btw, with Moore's 12PM EST/9AM PST announcement looming tomorrow morning, Ducks new QB coach/OC Kenny Dillingham posted a poll on Twitter...

STOMP

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  4. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

If Kliavkoff really didn't have a clue that USC and UCLA were in talks to leave then he's not much better.

You ask a national audience of college sports fans to name two teams in the Pac 12 and I promise you UCLA and USC easily win the poll with Oregon coming in 3rd. To have the 2 biggest name recognition programs leave your conference falls on the guy currently sitting in the big chair.

5. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

He had to have his fingers crossed when 2 months ago the USC President assured him they weren't leaving the conference, but really what else could he have done? Assume he's being lied to and preemptively offer them an inordinate slice of the PAC 12 TV money pie? They'd have had to give them the entire pie to equal what they got. As you previously stated..."Everyone knew the future of college sports is bigger conferences and bigger TV contracts"... well, Larry Scott owns the spilled milk on the floor that is the disastrous Pac 12 network. It's been ridiculously hard for fans of Pac-12 football let alone general college football fans, to see the games that weren't network featured games of the week for the last 10 years. Larry trying to control everything resulted in difficult & expensive access to the product & predictably disinterest from the fickle public.

STOMP

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  6. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

I can't believe the Pac 12 didn't grab Texas and Oklahoma if they had the chance... what an absolute CF.

BBert and SlyPokerDog like this.
  7. SlyPokerDog

Teams, players, and businesses break contracts all the time. Even if the reason for breaking it is bullshit, the new Commish should have broken it or threatened to break it. Breaking it only helps the teams he was hired to help.

8. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

What contract? The TV one? The damage done had already been baked into it. That damage was letting the interest of the general fan of sports wane in regards to Pac 12 football. If Scott had made the product accessible, interest in the conference would have likely grown just like it has across the rest of the country. An engaged fanbase = longterm more money for everyone.

While both Commishes are culpable for where we are today, Larry is far more responsible for wasting the day when opportunity knocked.

STOMP

9. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

they had a chance, but it wouldn't matter now...they would have still migrated to the SEC

Phatguysrule likes this.
  10. wizenheimer

Those Pac-12 after Dark games were one of the worst things to happen to the conference, and that was Scott

BBert likes this.
  11. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    I actually heard they got pretty good ratings. Even on the east coast. People up late drunk and wanting to watch some decent football.

Phatguysrule, tykendo and SlyPokerDog like this.
  12. SlyPokerDog

That was one of the few things they got right. No competition on the east coast. It was the 9am starts that were dumb.

Phatguysrule, BBert and ehizzy3 like this.
  13. wizenheimer

well yeah...there are not too many games on at 2:30AM on the east coast

what those games did do is reduce attendance; even for Oregon. And attendance numbers are part of a program's valuation

14. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Not the, not on TV at all unless you subscribed to right provider that wasn't available everywhere aspect? I know many Duck fans who were really frustrated about this during Larry's tenure when of course Oregon was generally really good. Fans of also ran teams quickly grew board of struggling to watch their rooting interest and found something else. I live in the Bay Area and rarely ever run into someone who's really into Cal or Stanford sports... I often end up telling grads of those schools how their team is doing. It's just not a thing.

STOMP

Phatguysrule likes this.
  15. SlyPokerDog

Yes, access to games on TV was a huge problem no matter the time of the game. But a night start is something that should continue under a new TV contract.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  16. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Yeah I’ve been told by family in the Midwest that those after dark games were a big hit with people out that way because they could get quality football late at night. They love it

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  17. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

I liked the late games. I'd get home from the evening dinner rush just in time for some football.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  18. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

Streaming needs to get easier for our favorite teams. There seems to be no one stop streaming that is decently priced. By the time you get streaming options for your favorite BBall team & College football team, you might as well get a cable sports package. They end up being about the same. I have sling now, which is mediocre, and i will switch to Fubo come Blazer season because slinger didn't have it. It's like one big game of switcheroo.

STOMP and SlyPokerDog like this.
  19. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Yup. Obviously there are some fans like us who will jump through whatever hoops necessary to be able to watch, but thats not how you grow a fanbase.

The most profitable American band of all time was the Grateful Dead. While they didn't have hits that topped the charts & the lead singer wasn't a heart throb, they allowed fans to tape their live shows for free and then those tapes were traded freely among fans. Largely because of this easy access to the product, music fans became Deadheads buying everything the band sold with some following them from show to show around the country. People bonded over a shared interest/experience which created a culture that even casual fans wanted to take some part of.

Clearly Larry Scott wasn't a Deadhead.

STOMP

Voodoo, BBert and SlyPokerDog like this.
  20. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

This has always been my argument regarding access to Blazer games. I always felt that local interest in the team was greater when the games were available to everyone. Obviously I've never seen the team's financial statements, so I could be way off on the financial value of a higher-cost restricted TV deal, but it just seems counter-productive to limit your audience.

BBert and SlyPokerDog like this.