Ducks

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

Okay. Thanks.

2. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

3. Hoopguru

If OR & WA are invited to B10 is it for sports. If so, those non revenue generating teams will be flying 5K mile round trips every week.

4. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

not 5000 miles....they won't have road games every week. They'll be traveling half of the time, and some of that will be to LA (+Bay Area if Stanford joins too)

I think the stuff about travel is a bit overblown. Yeah, those trips of 1500-2000 miles are longer than those of 500-100 miles but that's only in air time. Most of travel is preparation, packing, loading luggage, getting to the airport, departing the airport and traveling to hotels, and checking into hotels; then going from hotels to game site. All that ancillary effort is the same if a team is traveling from Eugene to Seattle or to Ohio

5. Hoopguru

I wasnt just talking football but all the other non revenue generating sports throughout the year?

6. wizenheimer

so was I

7. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Weird, what's the South Dakota-Stanford connection?

8. Hoopguru

?

9. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

The map you posted looks like it says(it's cut off, so am mostly guessing) that the pictures represent which team is generally the rooting interest in each county. And most of South Dakota is Stanford, which seems odd.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  10. twobullz

twobullz Well-Known Member

Look at Arizona, Look's like U W and Texas are bigger then ASU. Which is weird, especially the UW.

RR7 likes this.
  11. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Also, is that the Tulane green wave making up a chunk of new Mexico? Wtf

twobullz likes this.
  12. twobullz

twobullz Well-Known Member

Half of Kansas and a big chunk of Utah stanford also. Wonder how they decided this. Look at the UO in the Northeast also.

RR7 likes this.
  13. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Looks like it's all based on responses in a Reddit thread. Apparently only Stanford grads have internet in South Dakota.

14. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

how is this post aging?

STOMP

wizenheimer likes this.
  15. wizenheimer

LOL at the Oregonian:

upload_2022-9-19_22-29-34.png

yeah, Atlanta was a neutral site

BBert likes this.
  16. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

The WSU game is no gimme. The Ducks have upped their level of play, but now they have to show they can sustain it

SlyPokerDog, tykendo and STOMP like this.
  17. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Speculating... pretty sure that Oregon produces less then 10 D1 football prospects a year. With less then 1/4 the population of Oregon, no football hotbed communities and very few African Americans, I wouldn't be surprised if there was only 1 who came out of South Dakota last year. A school that lands that 1 guy owns the state. On the other hand, I went through the last 8 Stanford classes and didn't spot a single guy from South Dakota so???

According to this 247 article, maybe the state should be shaded Iowa State...

https://stacker.com/south-dakota/highest-rated-football-recruits-south-dakota-over-last-20-years

Then again, maybe I've got it all wrong and this is a reflection of fans of programs around the country?

STOMP

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
  18. wizenheimer

this guy is pretty well connected and was the one who called USC to the Big-10 over 2 months before it was announced. He has an episode on Oregon (and essentially Washington too) The guy has a bit of an obnoxious delivery and he repeats himself ...after already repeating himself:

now, I occasionally hear some things about the inner circle at the UofO. I used to hear a lot more but people move away (especially from me....except my wife dammit)

* that Oregon is being aggressive I believe. I also believe UofW is being aggressive too. For Oregon, this is being driven by Phil Knight more than anyone else, who I've been told believes the Pac-10 is essentially dead at this point

* the part about Oregon (and other schools) being unwilling to sign any restrictive, long term GOR (grant of rights) I believe too. It would not make any sense at all otherwise. The only way Oregon agrees to a long term GOR is if there is no penalty for leaving the conference and breaking the GOR. Of course, that torpedoes the Pac-12's desire to ink new media deals. The value of any Pac-12 media deal would crater if Oregon and Washington left

* the part about Oregon willing to accept way less than a full share I don't believe. They may be willing to enter at a discount that escalates to a full share in 3-5 years (like Maryland & Rutgers did). But I do not believe the UofO is being that "extremely aggressive"

* he mentions "double-dipping". That is for all of the sports besides football. What that means, for example, is if a Big-10 basketball team travels to Eugene for a game, it would be much more logical to have a short hop to Seattle for a 2nd game. Making for a very typical 2 game road trip. That works for basketball, baseball, softball, etc

* he said the UofO would build a hockey stadium and form a D-1 team. That I don't believe. Half of the schools in the current Big-10 don't have hockey teams. There's no reason for the Ducks to have one, and it's really doubtful there would be much fan support for a team

BBert likes this.
  19. Hoopguru

20. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity