Dumars hints of major move (what's your guess?)

Discussion in 'Detroit Pistons' started by iamme, Feb 9, 2004.

1. michiganjblog

michiganjblog JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting ludacris06:</div><div class="quote_post">I like Rip and Chauncey don't get me wrong, but Vince has the ability to get to the paint and draw the foul.</div>
    Vince can get to the rim, but he's not terribly fond of it. Billups and Hamilton have shown at least as good a penchant for getting to the foul line. In fact, let's check the stats:

Name / G / FTA / (Rank) / PerGame
    Carter / 47 / 265 / (24) / 5.63
    Billups / 54 / 315 / (9) / 5.83
    Hamilton / 53 / 245 / (33) / 4.62

Of the top 10 in the league, Billups and AI are the only two "guards" (there are others, such as McGrady and Pierce, who handle the ball with the ability and regularity of guards, but their usual position is forward). Not too shabby for a cast-off. And he's hitting nearly 90% of those attempts (Vinny hits exactly 80%, while Rip is at 86%).

Someone mentioned turnovers. Carter is 11th in the league with 3.06 TOs per game, while Billups - the primary ballhandler for the Pistons - is 25th, at 2.63. Hamilton is 19th at 2.74.

Carter has played well thus far this year, but I don't like his tendency to get hurt and I question his desire to play defense. That's not a good fit for this Pistons team.

2. TMac_OwNz

TMac_OwNz JBB JustBBall Member

well I dont know from where but I heard Rip and Okur for T-Mac..lol I dont think that would happen tough..but with John Gabriel as Magic GM that could easily happen..itll be a blast for the pistons...

Billups
    T-Mac
    Wallace
    Ham
    Rebraca

I dont think it will happen tho..at least I hope it wont :P

3. PyroManiac

PyroManiac JBB JustBBall Member

Well, obviously it won't happen. Although, I wouldn't mind it happening. :P Although, I'm not the biggest fan of T-Mac, I can't say that he is not a great player.

4. iamme

iamme JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TMac_OwNz:</div><div class="quote_post">well I dont know from where but I heard Rip and Okur for T-Mac..lol I dont think that would happen tough..but with John Gabriel as Magic GM that could easily happen..itll be a blast for the pistons...

Billups
    T-Mac
    Wallace
    Ham
    Rebraca

I dont think it will happen tho..at least I hope it wont :P</div>

aw....why'd you have to put T-Mac's name in the mix?? [​IMG]

now, i'm going to be dreaming about T-Mac in a Piston's jersey all night! [​IMG]

5. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

It was mentioned on the local radio

Mcgrady filler for Hamilton,Okur,Hunter and likely Rebraca

I highly doubt it happens but they said they had talked.

6. Premium

Premium JBB I'm kind of a big deal

wow...that would be a good move, but for orlando to give up on a top 10 player in the leauge, arguably the top 5, just because of one horrendous season is insane. they'd end up kicking themselfs in the ass

id be really surprised to see this happen

7. iamme

iamme JBB JustBBall Member

one thing i do expect is that no one will hear about the deal until the trigger gets pulled. just like the Stack/Rip trade.

8. ludacris06

ludacris06 JBB JustBBall Member

Vince Carter playes more minutes tha Chauncey and Rip so anything can happen...Why do people think VC can't play defense?? He averages 1 block and 1 steal a game and thats pretty impressive for someone at 6'6 and doesn't play defense in the paint area. Stats aren't everything man...Vince Carter brings alot of positive energy to his team, and when everyone is hyped up, they perform better. Look at the New Jersey Nets. When they get hyped up with K-Mart and Richard Jefferson, that energy just chages the team with hope and faith making them play like a whole new team. Thats why I say Vince would be a great addition to this team because Detroit has little to no energy (especially on the road)

9. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    I think the Pistons should stay put. They got a great chemistry going and it won't be wise to get in a star who demands shots. That might ruin the great season they're having. Stars hate it under Larry Brown, and this superstar-less team is perfect for him.

10. michiganjblog

michiganjblog JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting ludacris06:</div><div class="quote_post">Vince Carter playes more minutes tha Chauncey and Rip so anything can happen...Why do people think VC can't play defense?? He averages 1 block and 1 steal a game and thats pretty impressive for someone at 6'6 and doesn't play defense in the paint area. Stats aren't everything man...Vince Carter brings alot of positive energy to his team, and when everyone is hyped up, they perform better. Look at the New Jersey Nets. When they get hyped up with K-Mart and Richard Jefferson, that energy just chages the team with hope and faith making them play like a whole new team. Thats why I say Vince would be a great addition to this team because Detroit has little to no energy (especially on the road)</div>

Well, the idea that Carter plays more minutes is a stretch - VC is averaging 37.2 MPG, while Rip and Chauncey are averaging 36.8 and 35.9, respectively. That's essentially even with regard to minutes.

Carter's height and long arms are a primary reason I expect more out of him as a defender. The best players are known for their work on both ends of the floor.

On a one-on-one basis, and perhaps on a different team, Carter would be a fine addition. I just don't think the Pistons need his "energy" or whatever it is he brings to the table. What, Wallace isn't enough of an "energy" guy for you?

11. ludacris06

Nope....the only energy the Pistons get is when that bell goes "dong" or when the hord goes off...

12. gubagangsta

gubagangsta JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting franchise3:</div><div class="quote_post">I think the Pistons should stay put. They got a great chemistry going and it won't be wise to get in a star who demands shots. That might ruin the great season they're having. Stars hate it under Larry Brown, and this superstar-less team is perfect for him.</div>

I agree and they are stacked for the future......Why fix what ain't broke.

13. ludacris06

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">I think the Pistons should stay put. They got a great chemistry going and it won't be wise to get in a star who demands shots. That might ruin the great season they're having. Stars hate it under Larry Brown, and this superstar-less team is perfect for him.</div>

Who was Vince playing for in the summer? Larry Brown! Even Larry said that he would love to have Vince on his team. He aslo talked about how everyone talks about all the negitive things about VC and overlooks how good of a team player he is.

Well, I already knew 'Sheed was coming to Detroit, but I didn't expect a trade out of it. Come on Joe, get Vince.....