Dwight not Happy

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Clippers' started by og15, May 31, 2004.

1. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Sources indicate that Dwight Howard is not happy with the fact that the Clippers are likely to draft him. He is not the kind of guy that would pull a Steve Francis or Eli Manning and demand a trade, but he would much rather end up playing somewhere else next season, preferably in Atlanta. Only problem is the #6 pick plus Jason Terry is probably too much for the Hawks to offer, and the #6 plus the #17 may not be enough. Look for the #2 pick to be shopped around heavily in the next month with the best offer made will be the one that lands Howard. The Clippers love Ben Gordon and if they do trade with Atlanta he would probably be the guy they?d take. The Hawks could help the Clippers out even more by maximizing their cap space if they take Peja Drobnjak and/or Melvin Ely off their hands, whichever one isn?t picked by the Bobcats in the expansion draft. A move like that would help the Clippers shed over 4.5 million dollars off their cap next year, and possibly help keep Kobe Bryant in LA.</div>

Link

2. Bez Koske

Bez Koske JBB JustBBall Member

whats wrong with playing for the clippers?

3. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

They are cursed but thats not the reason he's upset

Put It this way, wouldn't you be mad If you had to play behind Elton Brand which is what would likely end up happening.

He wants to play for Atlanta where he can stay at home and have all the minutes he wants.

4. og15

og15 JBB *********

Yea behind Elton Brand and likely Chris Wilcox

5. Mez

Mez JBB JustBBall Member

Don't worry Dwight, I don't think the Clippers even want ya. If they do draft him it's going to be for a trade, and he should already know that. That's pretty obvious... I don't think he has anything to worry about.

6. notmuchgame

notmuchgame JBB JustBBall Member

Boy I sure hope they don't get Gordan. They might as well get Terry and the #17 (Hawks would take that) insteading of drafting Gordan (at #6) and the #17....(of cousre Terry's contract might be a problem oppose to Gordan who will make rookie money).

I would much rather see them trade further down and acquire a vet in the process. I hear Jerry West is looking for a pick...How about the #2 (and maybe a filler) for Watson and Battier (I'm just making this up)....

7. Mez

Mez JBB JustBBall Member

^ The #2 pick and a filler for Watson and Battier might be the worst possible trade suggestion so far... lol. If they do trade the pick I would want a starting PG if anything, along with a draft pick. I really hope they could get a vet PG and a late lottery pick to pick up Telfair.

8. jiggax23

jiggax23 JBB JustBBall Member

i would like to see livingston in a clippers uni before telfair. not that i have anything against telfair, but the clippers already have 3 good/great scorers, and adding telfair would mean less shots for the other players since he's a shoot-first kind of PG. but if livingston is gone by the time the clippers pick (assuming they trade down), gordon and telfair would be the next best choices IMO

9. notmuchgame

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Phreeze:</div><div class="quote_post">^ The #2 pick and a filler for Watson and Battier might be the worst possible trade suggestion so far... lol. If they do trade the pick I would want a starting PG if anything, along with a draft pick. I really hope they could get a vet PG and a late lottery pick to pick up Telfair.</div>

haha, that's your feeling but I'd love to see it happen. I don't see anybody in the top 10 that can really contribute to the Clippers right away...

I would actually rather have Posey than Battier but I have a feeling Posey has really high value right now:

Kamen / Wilcox
    Brand
    Maggette
    Battier (or Kobe)
    Watson

That'd be a hell of a defensive lineup...If they can manage to get Kobe, I could see that lineup making a playoff run, or if anything, play gritty defense (which the clipps never seem to do) and win some games they didn't before (the clipps always lose games in the 4th for some reason)

10. Mez

Mez JBB JustBBall Member

even Watson and Posey wouldn't be enough, Posey and Battier are good players but they aren't worth the #2 pick. Watson is a backup PG at best IMO. I know this draft isn't too strong and many people are weary on Dwight Howard, but he is still a #2 pick and has potential to be good. I believe they could get much more out of that pick than those guys.

11. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    I don't blame Howard for being grumpy about his future destination. If LA plans to develop him, he would be stuck behind Brand and Wilcox his first season, and no young player would embrace that option. I think Charlotte, depending on who they draft from the expansion draft, could try to land Howard. They might trade the number 4 pick and a veteran player for the number 2. If LA wants Gordon, they can draft him at fourth, and still get a player who can instantly contribute from Charlotte.

12. Captain Quicks

Captain Quicks JBB JustBBall Member

If I were in Howard's shoes I wouldnt be too happy either, the clipper's pick's end up being bad for some reason(ex. Tyson Chandler, Michael Olowakandi). + if Dwight were in his Hometown he would be happier and would recieve practically unlimited minutes on a struggling team.

13. Mez

Mez JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting PS3:</div><div class="quote_post">If I were in Howard's shoes I wouldnt be too happy either, the clipper's pick's end up being bad for some reason(ex. Tyson Chandler, Michael Olowakandi). + if Dwight were in his Hometown he would be happier and would recieve practically unlimited minutes on a struggling team.</div>

The way Tyson Chandler has turned out so far has nothing to do with the Clippers. All the Clippers did was draft him, then trade him a few minutes earlier. As for Olowokandi he just didn't show the work ethic needed to develop the skills he had. I guess you could blame the Clippers for the way Kandi turned out, but those who they drafted and traded have nothing to do with them.

14. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting PS3:</div><div class="quote_post">If I were in Howard's shoes I wouldnt be too happy either, the clipper's pick's end up being bad for some reason(ex. Tyson Chandler, Michael Olowakandi). + if Dwight were in his Hometown he would be happier and would recieve practically unlimited minutes on a struggling team.</div>
    That is not true at all, Chandler wasn't on the Clippers, and Kandi was pretty good while on the Clippers, and while on his upswing injuries brought him down.

What about Q-Rich, Wilcox, Miles, Lammond Murray, Maurice Taylor, Lamar Odom <font size="1">(yea he was injured but he didn't play bad on the Clips)</font>, Lorenzen Wright wasn't bad, and Kaman just had a pretty decent rookie season.
    Also if you want to talk about traded guys, how did Antonio Mcdyess do?

The Clippers have many times been called a development ground for young talent, they just develop the players then let them go later in Free Agency.

15. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

What's the Clippers situation like in terms of player contracts? The Bobcats could offer to swap picks with the Clippers with the promise they'll take a bad contract in the expansion draft. The Bulls aren't going to draft any of the point guards either, so pick #4 is a nice spot for the Clips.

16. jiggax23

jiggax23 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">That is not true at all, Chandler wasn't on the Clippers,</div>
    actually, he was a clipper, and traded for brand as phreeze stated.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Clippers have many times been called a development ground for young talent, they just develop the players then let them go later in Free Agency.</div>
    this is very true, and very sad, just think of the team the clippers would have if they kept half of the guys they helped develop.

17. og15

og15 JBB *********

I mean't he wasn't on the Clippers lol, he was traded on draft night so he was actually never a Clipper.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">What's the Clippers situation like in terms of player contracts? The Bobcats could offer to swap picks with the Clippers with the promise they'll take a bad contract in the expansion draft. The Bulls aren't going to draft any of the point guards either, so pick #4 is a nice spot for the Clips.</div>
    Don't really have any bad contracts, we could tell them we'll leave a young promising player unprotected (Ely or Dooling) even though we already were going to, if they swap picks with us.

18. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting og15:</div><div class="quote_post">Don't really have any bad contracts, we could tell them we'll leave a young promising player unprotected (Ely or Dooling) even though we already were going to, if they swap picks with us.</div>

[​IMG]

Why would you be promising them something? You have the higher pick.

19. notmuchgame

Besides Maggette and Brand, the Clipps don't have anyone signed long-term to have a bad contract, lol [​IMG]

btw, Dooling is a FA, they don't have to protect him...and good riddence.

20. og15

og15 JBB *********

He's a restricted FA, you have to protect restricted FA's, but like you said good riddence.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "Supersonic":</div><div class="quote_post">Why would you be promising them something? You have the higher pick.</div>
    lol I wasn't thinking, but we don't have any of those contracts, we aren't going to ask them to take Brand or Maggette away lol.
    I think we should tell them to take Drobnjak, he's so useless, I don't see the use of a center who can't rebound or block and just stays on the perimeter and shoots. He only makes 2.5 million, and 2,8 next year, but we signed him for 4 years?????