Dwight not Happy

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Clippers' started by og15, May 31, 2004.

1. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

If they draft him it will be for a trade. I dont see them drafting them, I would guess ATL would try to move up, and I think they will. Swap picks, and LA gets another pick, or a player too even things out.

2. og15

og15 JBB *********

Clippers could trade Dwight Howard to Atlanta for Ben Gordon and a future second round draft pick?
    I think that could be a feasible deal.

3. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

I would've liked him on another team myself. Once he's reached his potential, it would be nice to see him playing alongside Brand in the starting lineup if he were to stay. He shouldn't feel too bad though, he's young, very young, seeing as he's a HSer, so he has a lot more time than most and will get his due eventually.

4. jiggax23

jiggax23 JBB JustBBall Member

when a player publicly states he doesn't wanna play on a team, i wouldn't want him on that team. i think the clippers should trade the pick away and get a PG, whether it be a proven one, or one in the draft. brand and maggette in the front court is good enough for me, and i think most teams would agree that they are one of the better front court duos.

5. Mez

Mez JBB JustBBall Member

^ Plus they have Chris Kaman in that front court with Chris Wilcox backing them up. I've liked Simmons a lot too and I hope they resign him. If they are all brought back ( including Q ) all they need is a PG. I'd like to see them trade down a spot or two and aquire a vet PG in the process.

6. jbbCavsFan23

jbbCavsFan23 JBB JustBBall Member

The Clippers should take a player who has established himself as a player who WILL be good in the NBA, not someone who will be a 4 year project(Not that Dwight Howard will be) the clippers make the same mistake over and over every year. Take someone like Luol Deng or even someone like Ben Gordon because both those guys had great college carrers and whether you like it or not Ben Gordon will be a great NBA player.

7. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Atlanta high school star Dwight Howard believes he can help persuade Tracy McGrady to stay in Orlando if the Magic -- and T-Mac -- just give him the chance before the NBA draft, then select him with the No. 1 overall pick.

Howard told the Sentinel on Thursday he should be the Magic's choice over Connecticut center Emeka Okafor and that he'd "love" for McGrady to watch him work out in Orlando for the Magic.

Howard, speaking by phone from Atlanta, says he believes he's a better player than Okafor, describing himself as a "a young KG [Kevin Garnett] and Tim Duncan mixed together. That's me."

McGrady has said he doesn't think a player in this draft can dramatically improve the team enough to make him want to stay. McGrady, who can opt out of his contract after next season, has been pushing the Magic to trade the pick and acquire proven players. The Howard camp feels it can change his mind.</div>
    Howard believes he's top pick

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">ORLANDO -- For those thinking that Emeka Okafor, the shot-swatting power forward from the University of Connecticut and the player believed to be the most NBA ready, is the slam-dunk pick of the Orlando Magic, think again.

Dwight Howard has yet to work out for the Magic, owners of the top overall pick in the June 24th NBA Draft, but his stock is apparently on the rise so much so that the Magic are seriously considering him as their primary option. Not only that, but of the calls the Magic have fielded from other teams wanting to talk about trading for the pick, most of them want to do so in order to draft the 6-foot-11 Howard.

And the reasons are quite simple, said Aaron Goodwin, agent for the Atlanta teen sensation.

"Really, I honestly don't see a reason why he won't go No. 1," said Goodwin, who also represents last year's No. 1 pick, LeBron James. "He just has too much of a package to offer. I mean nothing against Okafor, but he's a one-dimensional player</div>

Okafor in Orlando no sure thing

You know I wouldn't like this to happen, I know Howard doesn't want to come here, but we don't need him here anyways, but I'd rather have him as our trade bait because I feel he'd get us more offers.
    I like Howard though, it seems like he knows how things work in the league, and the hook and corners of some things, maybe he's a big fan like us.

8. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Dwight Howard tells the Sentinel that rumors of him warning the L.A. Clippers to not draft him at No. 2 are unfounded. "No, that's not true at all," Howard said. "I would be honored to be drafted by any team and play in the NBA." . . . The Magic on Sunday worked out Andris Biedrins, who many believe will be the first foreign player to be selected. Biedrins, a 6-11 forward from Latvia, is projected as a top-10 lottery pick. Also working out for the Magic: combo guard Delonte West of St. Joseph's. . . . Florida Atlantic Coach Sidney Green, a former Magic forward, is a finalist for an assistant coaching job with the Cleveland Cavaliers. Green has been coach of the Owls for the past five seasons.</div>

Weisbrod and Magic pondering draft pick

9. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Bulls will draft third behind the Orlando Magic and Los Angles Clippers. The Atlanta Hawks, who have the No. 6 and No. 17 picks, are rumored to be offering guard Jason Terry and their No. 6 to the Clippers for the No. 2 pick, which they would spend on 6-10, 245-pound Atlanta high school sensation Dwight Howard</div>

Paxson says he won't rule out trading draft picks

10. Cpops57

Cpops57 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting jiggax23:</div><div class="quote_post">i would like to see livingston in a clippers uni before telfair. not that i have anything against telfair, but the clippers already have 3 good/great scorers, and adding telfair would mean less shots for the other players since he's a shoot-first kind of PG. but if livingston is gone by the time the clippers pick (assuming they trade down), gordon and telfair would be the next best choices IMO</div>

Sorry my friend but this is not a correct statement. If anything Telfair is the purest PG out of the bunch. Did you not see the McDonalds game or Capitol Classic. Telfair would rather shoot 5 times than score so he could see his teammates do better. Him scoring is an added bonus. Not a negative. The ability to score along with his ability to get the ball to his man shouldnt be seen as him not being a pass first point

11. N4S

N4S BBW Member

The main reason he doesn't want to play for the Clips is simple. He is from the ATL and that's where he wants to stay. He has probably dreamed of playing for his home town team all his life, you can't hate him for that. It's not like he's doing it like Eli Manning did w/ NY Giants.

12. KS1

KS1 JBB JustBBall Member

Poor Dwight, its okay. Lmao I be sad too. Its not that bad...

13. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Howard will get traded to Atlanta, I'm expecting it to happen with the 6th pick and Jason Terry headed to L.A.

14. Mez

Mez JBB JustBBall Member

^ so off that.. I'm guessing we'd pick Ben Gordon with the 6th pick? I've heard Washington was not interested in him, but I just don't think they'll pick him. If there is a good chance he won't be there at the 6th, I'm not so sure the Clippers would do that trade though.. I've heard they're pretty interested in Gordon and I don't think Devin Harris is too good of a fit for them. That's just my opinion though... I could be wrong.

15. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

The Clippers have a lot of options in the off-season. Landing the #2 pick just gives them another trading chip. They have plenty of cap space and depth in the big man area. It appears the Clippers need a PG, but they had Andre Miller a couple of seasons ago and he didn't work out for them. I think this team is lacking veterans and role players willing to do the dirty work. The Clippers are loaded with young, talented players all capable of leading the team, but no role players built around their two primary stars, C-Maggs and Brand. Dunleavy has had a year with this squad and he's had a good history of building a team with a lot of depth. The Blazers were his last project, and hopefully the Clippers will have the patience and allow him to build the team he wants to fit his style of coaching.

As far as Howard is concerned, if the Clippers draft him, he's going to be traded, or watch for Elton Brand to be moved.

16. og15

og15 JBB *********

I think Bobby Simmons, Matt Barnes, and Drobnjak are pretty decent role players.

17. shaq diesel

shaq diesel JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting jiggax23:</div><div class="quote_post">i would like to see livingston in a clippers uni before telfair. not that i have anything against telfair, but the clippers already have 3 good/great scorers, and adding telfair would mean less shots for the other players since he's a shoot-first kind of PG. but if livingston is gone by the time the clippers pick (assuming they trade down), gordon and telfair would be the next best choices IMO</div>

i wouldn't mind seeing livingston in la either

18. ungerdogg

ungerdogg JBB JustBBall Member

best draft day thing to do.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kobe 8 Ball:</div><div class="quote_post">If they draft him it will be for a trade. I dont see them drafting them, I would guess ATL would try to move up, and I think they will. Swap picks, and LA gets another pick, or a player too even things out.</div>
    Atlanta will give us terry and the 5th pick, with that pick we should take chilldress to back up Q at the 2 spot. startig lineup.terry,Q, maggette,brand,kaman.Backups. jaric,chilldress,simmons,wilcox,josh moor.

19. og15

og15 JBB *********

I'd rather have us take Livingston, play Livington at the Point, and Terry at the 2 guard spot.