Earl Watson or Jason Williams

Discussion in 'Memphis Grizzlies' started by jwill2, Nov 22, 2003.

1. jwill2

jwill2 JBB JustBBall Member

Jason Williams for All-Star

Does Jason Williams deserve to be an all-star this year? I am voting for him every day. There's a link on jwill2.com

2. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

3. Kid Canada

Kid Canada JBB Banned Member

No Chance.

4. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

No chance

He isn't even putting up the stats worthy of an all-star spot.

5. notmuchgame

notmuchgame JBB JustBBall Member

Honestly, I like Earl Watson over JWill as the Grizzlies' starting PG. So no... especially with the West's depth.

6. Trail_Blazer76

Trail_Blazer76 JBB JustBBall Member

Too many elite pg's in the west. Allstars don't have to be amazing players, but they are generally consistant, which White Chocolate is not.

7. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting notMuchgame:</div><div class="quote_post">Honestly, I like Earl Watson over JWill as the Grizzlies' starting PG. So no... especially with the West's depth.</div>I agree completely. Earl Watson has really proven that he can involve his teammates better than Jason Williams has. Jason Williams will not be an All-Star any time soon.

8. jwill2

Whoever would pick Earl Watson over Jason Williams either has never seen a Grizzlies game or does not understand basketball.

9. notmuchgame

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting jwill2:</div><div class="quote_post">Whoever would pick Earl Watson over Jason Williams either has never seen a Grizzlies game or does not understand basketball.</div>

Okay, explain why you think I don't understand basketball.

btw, i've seen MANY grizzlies games.

10. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting jwill2:</div><div class="quote_post">Whoever would pick Earl Watson over Jason Williams either has never seen a Grizzlies game or does not understand basketball.</div>Why do you feel this way? I understand that you are a Jason Williams fan, but as a Grizzlies fan I believe that starting Watson is in the best interests of the team. If you have ever seen a Grizzlies game, you would notice how the whole game changes when Watson comes into the game. He really knows how to get his teammates involved. He is a great all-around player. Williams may win the battle on the stat sheet, but you have to look beyond that. Watson is better for the team. Infact, a pretty large buzz has already begun in the Memphis radio stations and in the Memphis papers about Watson possibly starting. It's not a farout idea.

11. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

After watching JWill destroying my Sonics, I can understand what he's capable of, and last year was a very, very improved year from JW. I've also watched an entire year of Earl Watson in Seattle, and was amazed at his poise even for a rookie. Watson was a great floor leader in his full 4 years at college and I honestly think the idea of him starting is not too far out. I'd also like to see JW at shooting guard in a smaller line-up, where he can use his shooting but not direct the offense so there's a certain control over the shots he takes.

12. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Sir Desmond:</div><div class="quote_post">After watching JWill destroying my Sonics, I can understand what he's capable of, and last year was a very, very improved year from JW. I've also watched an entire year of Earl Watson in Seattle, and was amazed at his poise even for a rookie. Watson was a great floor leader in his full 4 years at college and I honestly think the idea of him starting is not too far out. I'd also like to see JW at shooting guard in a smaller line-up, where he can use his shooting but not direct the offense so there's a certain control over the shots he takes.</div>Jason Williams may have "destroyed" the Sonics, but he is very inconsistant. One game he will get five points and five assists then he will get twenty-eight the next. It was this type of inconsistancy that lead to the benching of Stromile Swift.

I don't like the idea of moving him to Shooting Guard. Right now we are set at that position. We have Mike Miller doing a great job starting, Wesley Person doing a great job backing him up and bringing instant offense to the table, and Dahntay Jones a rookie with loads of potential just sitting on the bench waiting for minutes in that crowded Shooting Guard lineup.

13. notmuchgame

Also, what many people don't realize is that Watson is one of the best on-ball defenders IN THE LEAGUE.

Remember that one news conference early last year when Nate McMillan was talking about defense, all of a sudden he inexplicably brought up Watson's name and talked about his departure, he got all choked up and almost started crying.

14. jwill2

I don't know if I would say Watson is one of the best on the ball defenders in the league. He gets up in people's face but I don't know if that merits a strong defender, all I know is that Chauncey Billiups went 0-4 in the first quater against J-will and then you know what happened in the 2nd quarter. In that game with the Jazz Raul Lopez scored scored 2 or 3 possesions in a row over Earl and then Hubie brought J-will right back in. Hubie is cool like that you don't play defense you come out. Also the fact that Jason doesn't get his teammates involved as much as Watson is ludicrous in that game against Detroit he didn't score because he was looking to pass too much. If anything he needs to shoot more to be more effective to open up scoring opportunities for his teammates like Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis, and Steve Nash do. Earl needs to shoot better then 34 percent before he can become a starting guard in the NBA. I like the idea of Earl and Jason playing together that Bibby-Jackson lineup works wonders for the kings.

15. Trail_Blazer76

Trail_Blazer76 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting jwill2:</div><div class="quote_post">all I know is that Chauncey Billiups went 0-4 in the first quater against J-will.</div>

LOL.

I guess that means that JWill is a great defender [​IMG] .

16. notmuchgame

Are you suggesting Williams is a better defender than Watson???!!! OMG...

(thats directed towards jwills post and not trailblazers as i kno thats sarcasm)

17. jwill2

Haha no I have not lost it yet, but I don't think Earl is a top notch defender. Shane, Posey, and Dahntay are better on the ball defenders and thats just on the Grizzlies.

18. notmuchgame

Point guards usually play "on-the-ball defense." I don't recall ever seeing Battier, posey, nor Jones defend the opposing pgs. You might be mistaken in the meaning of on the ball defense.

But its true that Watson is one of the best in the league in that aspect. People who don't watch the league closely dont give him his credit becasue he's a backup. I challenge you to find JUST ONE SOURCE anywhere that states Watson's defense isn't at least VERY GOOD.

And I'm not knocking Willaims. He's improved quite a bit under Hubie Brown. Also, I think Williams and Watson compliment each other great. On some nights when you need more up-tempo and scoring, you play Williams. When you need a more controlled pace, and defensive stops, you put in Watson. That's why their minutes are split (i believe j-will plays like low 30s mpg and watson almost 20mpg).

Its just my opinion that the Grizzlies need more stability in the starting lineup. They are a young team and Watson provides leadership and hardnosed defense. He sets the tone for the rest of the game. He distributes the ball well, and is very methodical in his floor game. I believe rite now that the Grizzlies are better served having Williams as an offensive spark off the bench, playiing about 20-25 minutes a game depending on the night.

19. jwill2

On the ball defense means guarding the person with ball(I know its a tough concept) and those players I mentioned are better at defending against the player with ball even though they don't defend PGs. Also if Earl Watson played the whole 48 minutes he would avearge 6.42 turnovers a game thats the 2nd worst in the NBA. So if you want someone that would be near the league leader in turnovers, thats shooting 34 percent from the field, 31 percent from 3pt land and 50 percent from the free throw line(worse then Bo Outlaw lol) In Earl Watson's 17 minutes per game he averages more turnovers then in J-will's 31 minutes. So if you are a fan of worse shooting, less assists, more turnovers, then Earl Watson is your guy. Sounds stable to me.

20. JWilltheFreak

JWilltheFreak JBB JustBBall Member

Hey, how many shots does Jason Williams take a game? In the game against Pistons, he only took three shots and that's why he only had five points that game. When the Grizzlies played the Sonics he took fifteen shots and he scored twenty-eight points.

Jason Williams does not turnover the ball like Earl Watson does either. Everytime that Watson comes into the game the other team makes a run. Watson will never start over Jason Williams! And don't say to me, "Watch some Grizzlies games", because I follow every Grizzlie game.

His only chance to be an All-Star is if the coaches vote him in or if Grizz will win a lot of games.