Earl Watson or Jason Williams

Discussion in 'Memphis Grizzlies' started by jwill2, Nov 22, 2003.

1. notmuchgame

notmuchgame JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting jwill2:</div><div class="quote_post">On the ball defense means guarding the person with ball(I know its a tough concept) and those players I mentioned are better at defending against the player with ball even though they don't defend PGs. </div>

Look, if you're still convinced Earl Watson isn't a good defender, FIND ME ONE SOURCE THAT BACKS THAT UP. An article, a website/magazine rating, a scouting report, ANYTHING... that says earl watson's defense is average or below average.

Also, you're throwing out stats covering 11 games. Lets extend it to years. Earl Watson shoots a respectable 43% fg, 35% threes. Williams is a carrer 38-39% fg, 30% threes. Now, I'm not saying Watson is a better shooter, but MY POINT is that STATS ARE MISLEADING. Wave made that point earlier too.

Watson brings intangibles. I dont know why you don't acknowledge that. I understand you're a J-Will fan and all, but that shouldn't blind you from the truth. You can argue the grizzlies are better with williams in the lineup, that he's a better player, whatevers...thats your opinion. But it's hard for you to seriously argue that Willaims brings more stability than Watson.

2. jwill2

jwill2 JBB JustBBall Member

Thank you Jwill freak someone with some common sense or at least pays attention to the games. Has anyone ever noticed how horrible Watson is at the end of quarters he either goes to soon and leaves time for the other team or doesn't even get a shot off. He's clueless when it comes to that. Well you are talking about starting Earl Watson this year so you should base it on what he does this year and no one is saying he is a bad defender just not an elite defender. Oh yeah and stats are misleading, there are no stats for J-will hitting a cluch 3 in Brent Barry's face while Watson's sitting on the bench counting his turnovers.

3. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting jwill2:</div><div class="quote_post">Thank you Jwill freak someone with some common sense or at least pays attention to the games. Has anyone ever noticed how horrible Watson is at the end of quarters he either goes to soon and leaves time for the other team or doesn't even get a shot off. He's clueless when it comes to that. Well you are talking about starting Earl Watson this year so you should base it on what he does this year and no one is saying he is a bad defender just not an elite defender. Oh yeah and stats are misleading, there are no stats for J-will hitting a cluch 3 in Brent Barry's face while Watson's sitting on the bench counting his turnovers.</div>What? Do you watch the games? How do you know this? Are you just guessing? JWillTheFreak lives in the NorthEast and you live in California. I have season tickets and I watch every single game. When Watson comes in the whole momentum of the game changes. The second line is usually able to get the Grizzlies out of whatever holes their firstline has dug and I am telling you that sure as hell can not be attributed to Bo Outlaw or Wesley Person. It's obvious that you guys are just pulling stories out your ass because you two likely don't see many games. Saying that when Watson comes in the game the team does worse is a complete boldface lie. You guys are diehard Jason Williams fans and I commend you for that, but you have to realize that Jason Williams is apart of a team and he should do what is in the best interests of the team.

4. notmuchgame

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting jwill2:</div><div class="quote_post">Well you are talking about starting Earl Watson this year so you should base it on what he does this year</div>

The problem with that is your basing it on stats for a few games. You even said stats are misleading. And why do you keep bringing up the Seattle game. Is that the only game you've seen this year?

Look, if you won't take my opinion seriously, you should at least take Waves' seriously. He's seen the games LIVE and probably lives in the area so he has the inside scoop.

5. JWilltheFreak

JWilltheFreak JBB JustBBall Member

The key players from Grizzlies' bench are Wright and Battier. I am a Jason Williams fan, but I still care about the Grizzlies as a team. They need Jason Williams at Point Guard not Earl Watson. Jason Williams only gets thirty-one miutes a game.

Wave, you only see Grizzlie home games!!!

Anwser me this, Wave. Who would you want to start? Jason Williams or Earl Watson?

6. Ed!

Ed! JBB JustBBall Member

J-Will is FAR from being an allstar. Start Watson*edit* im not saying watson is an all-star! i do think he is better, he is much more efficient in the time given to him

7. notmuchgame

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting JWilltheFreak:</div><div class="quote_post">Wave anwser me this question!!! Who would u want to start JWill or Watson???</div>

He answered that question on the first page.

8. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting JWilltheFreak:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Wave, you only see Grizzlie home games!!!

Anwser me this, Wave. Who would you want to start? Jason Williams or Earl Watson?</div>First of all, they broadcast every single Memphis game on television in Memphis. So I see all of the games. Second of all, is one-hundred home games over the span of two and a half years not enough to asses talent. And finally, you sure do have a short memory span. I could have sworn I was just telling you why Watson should start two or three posts ago.

Alright, here is what has happened so far in the Lakers game. The Grizzlies were neck and neck to start off. Then James Posey got in foul trouble, then Tsakalidas got into foul trouble, and eventually Hubbie Brown sat the entire starting lineup down. Watson took the neck and neck game and gave the Grizzlies a comfortable lead of about six or so. Then Hubbie Brown put Jason Williams back in. Williams made two or three BONEHEADED turnovers and bricked a wideopen three and before I knew it the Lakers had us down by eleven. It is clear that Watson should start.

9. JWilltheFreak

Ok, Jason Williams had two TO's and then Posey had two TO's and then Miller had two TO's. So you are going to blame everything on Jason Williams?

The Grizzlies were up by three when Watson came in. And the player who score most of the points was Battier.

10. notmuchgame

hey, I'm watching that same game here in L.A. Damn, Slava Medvedenko is tearing up the grizzlies. lol...okay, off topic. sorry.

btw, Kobe is ripping Posey. (Yes, I know it's Kobe) Posey just picked up his fourth foul 13 seconds into the second half. Ouch...

11. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting JWilltheFreak:</div><div class="quote_post">Ok, Jason Williams had two TO's and then Posey had two TO's and then Miller had two TO's. So you are going to blame everything on Jason Williams?

The Grizzlies were up by three when Watson came in. And the player who score most of the points was Battier.</div>I can picture you now. You're on the computer, looking at some stat-tracker, but not being able to watch the game. You are spewing out stats at me that have no meaning. You don't know that Williams pretty much caused those turnovers by Posey and Miller. And who do you think gave Battier the ball to score his points? When Watson went out the Grizzlies were on top or even with the Lakers. Jason Williams blew it. It's plain and simple.

Notmuchgame, you are right. Posey is playing his usual defense. He usually gets away with his little fouls here and there, but that doesn't work with Kobe Bryant because the reff's are watching him like a hawk just waiting for someone to step on his toe. It's that way when Posey plays any All-Star. He plays a physical game and fouls, but he gets away with it unless he's going against someone who's in the spotlight like he is now.

12. JWilltheFreak

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Jason Williams blew it. It's plain and simple</div>

Yea, he did. And other players had nothing to do with that. Am I right?

13. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting JWilltheFreak:</div><div class="quote_post">Yea, he did. And other players had nothing to do with that. Am I right?</div>There were some players who played a role in the team's downward spiral, but the discussion in this thread is about Jason Williams. He was ninety percent at fault for the turn of events. Look at your stat sheet. Pretty much every one of those turnovers and missed shots were because of Jason Williams. If he wasn't the one who was missing shots and making the turnovers himself then he was the one who was passing the rock to players in odd positions with little time on the clock or passing the rock to players in full coverage.

14. JWilltheFreak

<u><font color="DarkSlateBlue"><font face="Century Gothic">No personal attacks, Wave.</font> </font></u> Miller and Posey have four TO's each Gasol has three TO's and you blame everything on Jason Williams. It is the whole team fault!

15. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting JWilltheFreak:</div><div class="quote_post"><u><font color="DarkSlateBlue"><font face="Century Gothic">No personal attacks, Wave.</font> </font></u> Miller and Posey have four TO's each Gasol has three TO's and you blame everything on Jason Williams. It is the whole team fault!</div>The whole team is at fault for their poor performance, but once the momentum shifted in favor of the Lakers it was all Williams' fault. And the point in time we were discussing at which the Grizzlies took a six point lead and turned it into an eleven point deposit is completely Williams' fault.

16. JWilltheFreak

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The whole team is at fault for their poor performance, but once the momentum shifted in favor of the Lakers it was all Williams' fault. And the point in time we were discussing at which the Grizzlies took a six point lead and turned it into an eleven point deposit is completely Williams' fault.</div>

OK, it's his fault!

17. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting JWilltheFreak:</div><div class="quote_post">OK, it's his fault!</div>Listen, there is no need to get so hot and bothered over such a small issue. You stuck up for your favorite player, which was noble of you, but you needed to be brought back down to reality on a few points.

18. notmuchgame

lol, if it makes you feel better, I dont think its ALL Williams fault, Kobe has a little something to do with it also. He's making some insane shots tonite.

19. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting notMuchgame:</div><div class="quote_post">lol, if it makes you feel better, I dont think its ALL Williams fault, Kobe has a little something to do with it also. He's making some insane shots tonite.</div>Nah, that's all thanks to Jason Williams' lackadaisical defense on Gary Payton who is helping hit Bryant in the right spots. [​IMG]

20. jwill2

jwill2 JBB JustBBall Member

Wave what happened not too long ago you said Jason Williams was a top 10 point guard, now he can't start over Earl? This is a quote from you, "J-Will gets 12.5 PPG, 9.5 APG (2nd in the league), and he is second in the league in assists/turnovers. How the hell do you figure that all those guys are better? You are alone on this one, pal." Surprsingly Jason's defense wasn't that bad on Payton I figured without Shaq he would go for about 30 . Its weird how when Jason's struggles the Grizzlies never win, its like he sets the tone for the whole team. Like Pau or Mike Miller can play horrible games and the Grizz somehow make up for it but Jason's bad offensive games(like tonight) the Grizz really struggle. Anyway someone was questioning whether I actually watch the games well I have seen every Grizzlies game except for probably less then 10 on TV. I have seen Jason Williams play in person 30 times while on Sac and 10 times since running the show for the Grizzlies including a game in Memphis(road trip lol) So when it comes to J-will I know my stuff, and my Dad's a coach and I am recruited point guard so I have a pretty good idea what I am talking about on most basketball topics. I am not saying that other people don't just saying where I am coming from. Look for me at the Grizzlies-Kings game on tues I will be sitting first row under the basket its on NBA TV(wearing my white j-will jersey)