Earl Watson or Jason Williams

Discussion in 'Memphis Grizzlies' started by jwill2, Nov 22, 2003.

1. notmuchgame

notmuchgame JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting jwill2:</div><div class="quote_post">Surprsingly Jason's defense wasn't that bad on Payton I figured without Shaq he would go for about 30 . Its weird how when Jason's struggles the Grizzlies never win, its like he sets the tone for the whole team. </div>

Payton picked Williams apart. I dunno what game you were watching. And Kobe ripped up your boys Posey and Battier. (Again, yes i kno it was Kobe but still).

And you're right about setting a tone. THat's why I feel the Grizzlies would be better served starting Watson. He's not a guy whose going to sway too much one way or another in his game. He plays good defense which sets a tone for the rest. It's no secret that WIllaims is very inconsistant in his play. That's bad for a team that's trying to be more consistant, yet the guy whose setting the tone doesn't bring much stability. WIllaims would be great off the bench. Maybe a 6th man of the year canidate if he had the chance. If he has one of them bad nights, it won't affect the teams play as much. Just my opinion.

2. jwill2

jwill2 JBB JustBBall Member

I guess it could work it would be interesting no doubt. It would be like Bobby Jackson in Sac, but a lot of people are always arguing for Jackson to start over Bibby so no matter what you do when you have two quality players in the same position there's always the question of who should start.

3. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting jwill2:</div><div class="quote_post">Wave what happened not too long ago you said Jason Williams was a top 10 point guard, now he can't start over Earl? This is a quote from you, "J-Will gets 12.5 PPG, 9.5 APG (2nd in the league), and he is second in the league in assists/turnovers. How the hell do you figure that all those guys are better? You are alone on this one, pal." </div>That was a completely different arguement. Once I take a side in an arguement I try to support it to it's fullest extent not only in that particular thread, but in other related arguements. However, this is not a related arguement. Whether or not Jason Williams was a top ten point guard at the time that was written has nothing to do with whether or not Watson should start after playing great. Just focuss on debate in this thread please and don't try to make me look like a hypocrite.

Also, it's not so much that Jason Williams isn't a great point guard anymore as it is Earl Watson accelerating his game.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting jwill2:</div><div class="quote_post">I guess it could work it would be interesting no doubt. It would be like Bobby Jackson in Sac, but a lot of people are always arguing for Jackson to start over Bibby so no matter what you do when you have two quality players in the same position there's always the question of who should start.</div>

Right on! Bringing Williams in off the bench doesn't mean that he will see decreased minutes, points per game, or assists per game. It just means that he would be working with the second line while Watson works with the starting line. Another good comparison would be Antwain Jamison backing up Antwan Walker in Dallas.

4. jwill2

If J-will didn't start he probably would get reduced points and minutes. When Jackson started for the Kings last season he averaged over 20 points per and this year Jamison is only averaging 13 compared to a 19 point per game average.

5. JWilltheFreak

JWilltheFreak JBB JustBBall Member

JWill will never sit on the bench till Hubie is not the coach of Grizz. He loves JWill evrey players has bad games. Last game vs LA the whole team sucked.
    You said that watson is better he played 24 min 4 points 5 dimes and 5TO thats terrible. JWill avg. 1.8TO per game and that is nasty.

So far JWill had a slow start he avg 11 and 7.2 but he will pick those # up to like 14 and 8!!!And dont say again that JWill will come off the bench!!!

6. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting JWilltheFreak:</div><div class="quote_post">And dont say again that JWill will come off the bench!!!</div>

Here you go have one of these

[​IMG]

7. notmuchgame

^ lol....that's funny

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting jwill2:</div><div class="quote_post">If J-will didn't start he probably would get reduced points and minutes. When Jackson started for the Kings last season he averaged over 20 points per and this year Jamison is only averaging 13 compared to a 19 point per game average.</div>

That's not neccessarily true. Jamison and Jackson are scorers by nature. They do that as starters and as backups. Williams is asked to be more of a creator with the first unit. The roles are totally different. If williams were to come off the bench, he would have the option of being more aggressive.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting JWilltheFreak:</div><div class="quote_post">And dont say again that JWill will come off the bench!!!</div>
    JWilltheFreak, you need to relax. This is a discussion forum for DISCUSSING, not everyone is going to agree with you. You're coming off awfully whinny. [​IMG]

And I'm not doubting that Hubie Brown likes Williams. But he obviously doesn't like him enough to play him 35 minutes a game.

8. JWilltheFreak

<font color="DarkRed">Grizz staters only play about 33min a agme!!! Hubie uses 10 man rotation!!!</font>

9. jwill2

I think if Hubie had any thoughts of starting Earl he would give him a lot more minutes then he does, and minutes with the starting 5. Hubie is a lot smarter then all of combined when it comes to basketball knowledge so if he's starting J-will you know its the right move.

10. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting JWilltheFreak:</div><div class="quote_post"><font color="DarkRed">Grizz staters only play about 33min a agme!!! Hubie uses 10 man rotation!!!</font></div>First of all, the Grizzlies' starters play from twenty-eight to thirty minutes a game. That leaves twenty to eighteen minutes for Jason Williams to do his work.

Do you know what a ten man rotation is? In terms of our arguement that means that he plays the second line just as much as the first line.

11. XStitchesX

XStitchesX JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Wave:</div><div class="quote_post">Nah, that's all thanks to Jason Williams' lackadaisical defense on Gary Payton who is helping hit Bryant in the right spots. [​IMG]</div>

Well Geez Dorothy! every message in this thread you have made you never even post how.....BAD! Earl Watson is runs the offense Pauly! Sure he can run it alittle but come on be seriously he lacks playmaking ability and serious needs work He doesn't have the Long Range like Jwill and never will , you were right he does have better defense! but that is not the case here is it Mr.Wave. The Case is that your accusing and making points that your blaming everything on JWill! geez you even have him on avatar WTF! Damn Dorothy you even didn't even make some points on how Earl hasn't made good decisions all this month totally useless, He can't control the tempo of the game which Jwill can slow down and acclerate the tempo , he hasn't made good at all everygame I listen to it's.......Turnover! Turnover! mis-communication is most likely the to discribe the word this season for Watson and only player i can relate to take over the 2nd String Is Troy Bell...

Earl Watson starting LMFAO! this thread is a total joke ando h yeah i am from Earl's hometown I like him but he is a below average player with some Realiable D! take care ta-ta jacky.

12. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting XStitchesX:</div><div class="quote_post">Well Geez Dorothy! every message in this thread you have made you never even post how.....BAD! Earl Watson is runs the offense Pauly! Sure he can run it alittle but come on be seriously he lacks playmaking ability and serious needs work He doesn't have the Long Range like Jwill and never will , you were right he does have better defense! but that is not the case here is it Mr.Wave. The Case is that your accusing and making points that your blaming everything on JWill! geez you even have him on avatar WTF! Damn Dorothy you even didn't even make some points on how Earl hasn't made good decisions all this month totally useless, He can't control the tempo of the game which Jwill can slow down and acclerate the tempo , he hasn't made good at all everygame I listen to it's.......Turnover! Turnover! mis-communication is most likely the to discribe the word this season for Watson and only player i can relate to take over the 2nd String Is Troy Bell...

Earl Watson starting LMFAO! this thread is a total joke ando h yeah i am from Earl's hometown I like him but he is a below average player with some Realiable D! take care ta-ta jacky.</div>Are you related in any way to JWillTheFreak?

13. Ed!

Ed! JBB JustBBall Member

Maybe he is JWillTheFreak, he did join today. Notice they both overuse the exclamation mark

14. notmuchgame

Why are there so many Jason Williams fans? They're all so passionate too. Man, relax ppl...it's not like we're putting down an all-star [​IMG]

15. jwill2

The way Earl has been playing lately is ending the argument. Today vs the T-wolves 11 mins-0 points 0-2 from the field, 2 assists 2 turnovers.

16. J-DUB

J-DUB JBB JustBBall Member

Every1 Talks About How Bad His Defense Is But Look How Much Points The Other Pg Scores On Him,just Look.he Outplays The Other Pg Every Game.also There Is No Other Better Passer In The League Out There He Just Doesnt Have The Finishers That Jk Has

17. notmuchgame

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting J-DUB:</div><div class="quote_post">he Outplays The Other Pg Every Game.</div>

Is that a fact? [​IMG]

18. starman85

starman85 JBB JustBBall Member

^lol, that's funny.

I'm not a JWill hater, but I think his fans just have to accept that he's a second rate point guard, meaning he's not an all-star and he's not on par with JKidd, Starbury, Franchise, Glove, Nash and BDiddy.

As for who's starting on the Grizz, I think he does deserve that. Watson is young and will have his chance, but as of now JWill does bring more to the table offensively, and that's often what the Griz need. When they need defense they would be better off looking to their defensive swingmen like Battier and Posey, but I wouldn't say Watson is a liability there.

19. jbbSkip

jbbSkip JBB JustBBall Member

I'd love to see JWill do his thing on All Star game... wtf happened to him, he's like a ghost in Memphis.

20. JWilltheFreak

JWill is better then bibby. We will see when webber comes back what will Bibby put up. And jwill only gets 20 min a game. He is one of the best pg down the strech. And he has a chance to be a all star becuase the coaches might vote him in.