Eastern Conf scout: Spurs best in West and it isn't even close

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by KingSpeed, Jan 19, 2014.

1. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

At the risk of getting burned at the stake.

Stotts: 6 seasons as a head coach; 44% winning record; 1 winning season.

Pops: 18 seasons as a head coach; 68% winning record; 1 losing season.

Who would you be more worried about facing in a 7 game series?

2. Blazer Fanatic

Blazer Fanatic Suspended

Did you see that Seahawks defender Sherman after the football game? I could do without the overt trash talking into a camera, but I love the attitude. Call the Blazers mediocre and see what happens. lol

3. Blazer Fanatic

Blazer Fanatic Suspended

The Blazers.

4. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Blazers definitely.

5. oldmangrouch

Poll the other 28 NBA head coaches. I bet the vote is 28-0 that they would rather face a Stotts coached team in a 7 game series than a Pops coached team.

6. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    It's not just who is coaching. It's the players too. Our players are better than SA's at every position. I think some of the 28 are smart enough to pick us.

7. oldmangrouch

Not what I was saying. Pops is one of the great coaches of the last 20 years. He commands (and deserves) tremendous respect. *That* is why people in the league still see the Spurs as a huge threat. His presence on the side-line gives them credibility beyond who is wearing the uniform.

Stotts is having a good season. He may even win COTY. The jury is still out on whether he makes his players - or his players are making him.

8. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

I'm telling you it does not matter what happens in the regular season. The playoffs are a different game. Don't you remember how the Blazers would beat up on the Lakers in the regular season but in the playoffs the outcome was totally different? I've had this discussion many times with friends.

9. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

Remember in 09? Blazers first year back into the playoffs after a 5 year hiatus? Roys first year in the playoffs? Portland had come court advantage against the Rockets. After putting together a 54 win season. That series there proved that the playoffs are a whole new ball game. The pace that it's played at. The defense. The offense. Rockets were always a step or two faster than Portland. And Portland even after going through 82 games was not ready for that. In other words the speed of play picks up in the playoffs.

But this team is different. I don't know if that eam ever played at that pace and level all year long even with 54 victories. This team showed that they can turn it off and on and play at different levels just in the last couple of weeks. I think if they get there this year. They will have success. As for the Spurs, two years ago they were knocked out by Memphis in the first round. Three years ago it was Dallas. They were getting old and they can be overwhelmed by a younger, more active team. Portland has done that twice to them. They can be beat.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
    illmatic99 likes this.
  10. Paxil

Paxil Active Member

Software engineer
    Being a small market team, I don't think we will ever get the respect we deserve, and that doesn't bother me. Stay hungry, and play with a chip on your shoulder. Respect is a popularity contest... it doesn't mean anything.

11. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    the 09 Blazers were also not a well coached team (in the sense of they were basically an ISO team).

not saying this team is guaranteed a 1st round win, but this team is winning differently than that team did. That team won games it had no business winning, and wasn't nearly as good as their record suggested. And Nate was a horrible coach when it came to mid game (or mid series) adjustments. That teams playoff results was as much his fault as anything else.

12. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Not to make excuses for Nate, but that Rockets team was also probably the best in the west that year. With TMac injured, Yao was so dominant as their primary option, and they had Brooks clicking on O as well, while Artest and Battier were the best defensive wing duo in the league. They would have beaten the Lakers had Yao not gotten hurt (they still took LA to 7 games). It was a horrible matchup for our baby team with like 0 playoff experience.

13. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    I do agree with that. Houston was a bad matchup, experience or not. But coaching hurt that teams for any flexibility. Get that team out of it's game and they were lost.

This team has much more flexibility.