ECF Thread: Celtics vs. Superwoman and the Magic

Discussion in 'Boston Celtics' started by 44Thrilla, May 13, 2010.

?

who will win?

Poll closed May 25, 2010.
  1. Celtics in 4

9.1%
  2. Celtics in 5

18.2%
  3. Celtics in 6

36.4%
  4. Celtics in 7

9.1%
  5. Magic in 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Magic in 5

18.2%
  7. Magic in 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Magic in 7

9.1%
  1. ivey

ivey Member

Most likely he won't be and even if he is, it ain't over. NEVER underestimate the heart of a champion

2. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

David Stern and the Nazi Basketball Association give a game to the Magic. ;)

We'll close it out tomorrow no doubt, and send these bastards fishing.

3. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

The tech on Perk was a little suspect. Reading his lips, he did say "This is bullshit, man!" but he was walking away from the refs. I doubt he gets suspended.

Not to be Captain Obvious, but tomorrow is a must win for Boston. There is a solid chance that the series will be over if it goes to seven games.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  4. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Thrilla I know you don't like to blame the officiating, but last night Boston got hosed badly. Joey Crawford leading the charge again for the home team.

5. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

Other than the Perkins techs, I thought they were ok. I still liked our chances until Big Baby went down.

6. OSUBlazerfan

OSUBlazerfan Writing Team

Perkins Tech Rescinded

7. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

Thanks NBA. A little late though.

8. Shapecity

However, the NBA has reviewed both technicals, and the second has been rescinded, meaning Perkins is available for Friday night's Game 6 in Boston. I'm more than a little surprised that the first technical was upheld — the one caused by a slip of the hand and inadvertent elbow to Marcin Gortat — but then again, I'm not in charge of the NBA. As it stands, Perkins' next technical will result in a suspension.

Alex Swish Kennedy tweets

9. Shapecity

I just don't like the inconsistency from game to game. In last night's game the officials called it close and that obviously favors Orlando. Previous games the officials allowed both teams to be more physical.

10. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

I think it all depends on the officials. The NBA knew what they were doing by sending Joey Crawford and Eddie F. Rush to that game. I don't think the NBA rigs games, but they do know which officials will give them the best chance of an extended series.

11. CelticKing

So they do rig games if they keep sending same 'bad' official to key games. (and then extending them)

12. CelticKing

TIME TO END IT TONIGHT!!!!!

GO PERKINS!!!

[​IMG]

13. CelticKing

and yeah he does smile lol (once a year probably)

[​IMG]

14. CelticKing

Tonight's referee assignments

[​IMG]

The officiating has come under much scrutiny in the Celtics-Magic series, and now we know the referees who will be working Game 6 at TD Garden.

According to the NBA's website, which posts referee assignments each morning, Monty McCutchen, Mike Callahan and Ken Mauer (pictured at right arguing with Celtics coach Doc Rivers in Game 4 of the Celtics-Heat series) are in charge of tonight's game. Only Mauer has worked a game in this series prior to tonight -- he was teamed with Dan Crawford and Michael Smith in Game 1 in Orlando.

Mauer has worked three Celtics playoff games: Game 1 vs. the Magic, Game 3 vs. the Cavaliers and Game 4 vs. the Heat.

McCutchen and Callahan have worked one Celtics playoff game each, both in the Celtics-Cavaliers series. McCutchen did Game 6 and Callahan was on Game 4.

One quick side note to consider: Chris Villani, who handles Sports Flash updates at WEEI, noted on his Twitter account that a station producer called disgraced referee Tim Donaghy after hearing who the Game 6 referees would be. Donaghy's reply: "Orlando should dust off their golf clubs."

15. CelticKing

Magic-Celtics Preview

It's a good thing for the Boston Celtics that the NBA rescinded Kendrick Perkins' technical foul and nixed his suspension.

He might be the only big man they have left to guard Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard.

Perkins was ejected from Boston's 113-92 loss to Orlando in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference finals on Wednesday night after picking up two technicals in the first half. The league rescinded one on Thursday, clearing Perkins to play in Game 6 when Boston tries for the third time to eliminate the Magic and advance to the NBA finals.

``We know what we haven't done, and what we need to do,'' Celtics coach Doc Rivers said Thursday. ``I think we'll be ready to do it tomorrow night.''

Even with Perkins, the Celtics will still be short-handed trying to slow down Howard, who has averaged 26 points and 13 rebounds in the last two games as the Magic twice avoided elimination.

Backup Glen ``Big Baby'' Davis was diagnosed with a concussion after blacking out on the court from Howard's inadvertent elbow to his face in Game 5. Rasheed Wallace tweaked his back in the game and couldn't even sit down to watch film on Thursday.

Rivers said they are both gametime decisions. Reserve Marquis Daniels also sustained a concussion, and he has been all but ruled out for Friday night's game.

``Our mentality is: We just have to lace them up and go play,'' Rivers said. ``We have a lot of bumps and bruises right now, but we'll be OK.''

The Celtics need a victory Friday night to avoid a trip back to Orlando for a seventh game, where a Magic victory would make them the first team in NBA history to come back from a 3-0 deficit in a best-of-seven playoff series.

``I didn't like being in a 3-0 hole, but it's still doable. I don't think we've had a lack of belief,'' Orlando coach Stan Van Gundy said. ``We can't go back and get those first three. ... I don't know why we didn't get at it, I don't know why we didn't play with the same type of energy in the first three games. I really do not know.''

Only four times in North American pro sports history has a team come back from a 3-0 deficit. But the Magic wouldn't even be the first to do it this month in Boston: The Bruins led the NHL's Eastern Conference semis 3-0 before the Philadelphia Flyers came back to advance - celebrating in the very same TD Garden locker room where the Magic dress.

``I would doubt that players would get affected by what happened in another sport,'' Van Gundy said. ``I would have a hard time believing that. I don't think most of our guys on any of our teams follow hockey very much.''

What started as an unprecedented pipe dream - Boston had never even needed a sixth game after going up 3-0 - is now more realistic as the Magic gain confidence and the Celtics lose personnel.

``It's another closeout game on their home court,'' Magic forward Rashard Lewis said. ``I think the game on Friday will most definitely be the hardest game of the playoffs that we've ever faced. They're a veteran team. They'll come out with a lot of energy and a lot of heart, and I'm sure they're not going to want to come back to Orlando.''

Perkins was called for two technicals on Wednesday night - an automatic ejection - and since that gave him seven total in the playoffs he was in line for a mandatory one-game suspension. But the league rescinded the second ``T'' on Thursday - taking the rare step of announcing it in a news release - clearing him to play.

``I knew he would play tomorrow,'' Rivers said. ``I'm a little disappointed that both technicals weren't rescinded. I think they both should have been; I'll take the one. Unfortunately, we can't get those calls back. It clearly hurt us in Game 5 not having Perk in.''

Also Thursday, the league upgraded a foul called on Pierce to a one-point flagrant foul. If Pierce amasses four flagrant foul points, he would also face an automatic one-game suspension.

``Paul's not going to be a guy that's going to have a ton of flagrant fouls,'' Rivers said. I don't think we have to worry about him getting to that number, that silly number.''

16. Shapecity

Donaghy's reply: "Orlando should dust off their golf clubs."

He's been accurate so that's encouraging. The Celtics make the best defensive adjustments in the league. They'll probably look to contain Jameer Nelson tonight because he's been the catalyst the past two games. Rondo has to avoid getting into foul trouble again and go right at Jameer when Celtics are on offense.

Dwight Howard's elbows will get a lot of attention from the officials tonight.

17. CelticKing

If Celtics lose tonight, the series is over for them, even though there's 1 more game left, there's no way they're beating Magic back in Orlando.

And this game can't go tied up until the last few seconds, they have to win convincingly.

18. Shapecity

Glen Davis, who suffered a concussion in the Celtics' loss at Orlando on Wednesday night, will play tonight in Game Six at TD Garden.

A league source confirmed that Davis has recovered from the injury and has been cleared by the team's medical staff.

19. CelticKing

thank god he's ok and will be playing tonight, we need the front-court to be strong.

20. CelticKing