Eggers on (Nate on) Bayless

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Reep, Oct 2, 2008.

1. AgentDrazenPetrovic

AgentDrazenPetrovic Anyone But the Lakers

A team or fan that wants a pure point guard running the team. Such as Nate McMillan. In my very limited time watching bayless, he often doesn't look to run the offense, but to attack the hoop..then he gets stopped and loses his dribble and faces a double team.

I don't know what kind of basketball scheme you enjoy, but a team without a true point/floor general type who will command and direct the offense....its just not my personal cup of tea.

To me, Bayless mimics a lot of the things that roy does, but is a bit faster and more offensive minded. To me, Roy would make a better point than Bayless would.

2. BlayZa

BlayZa Misbehaving responsibly

Media/Advertisng
    im ok with it, whoever plays has to earn the spot - if sergio is ahead of him in that , well so be it. the cream rises to the top so it'll ultimately sort itself out.

3. GrandpaBlaze

GrandpaBlaze Predictions Game Master

Here is the key for me as to whether Bayless should be put in at point or not - does he make the offense flow and move and are the others comfortable with him or not? If not, Sergio should get time ahead of him IN THAT POSITION. It doesn't mean Bayless shouldn't get spot time there or time in other positions but it doesn't sound like he is ready to play PG.

Sure he may be able to defend other PG's and can shoot but if he can't get the offense moving, he shouldn't be there. If, as may be the case, Roy runs the offense better than Bayless, then make Roy the PG and put Bayless in at SG. Don't put Bayless in a position where he, as a rookie, may fail and shake his confidence.

If Sergio has truly improved his game as has been intimated, then make him second fiddle at PG and let him either prove that he doesn't deserve it or let Bayless prove that he deserves to be the backup PG. This is not about who has the better individual skills, but who makes the team as a whole better when they are on the floor.

Gramps...

4. rocketeer

rocketeer Active Member

roy is going to be the primary ballhandler in the halfcourt anyway, so bayless doesn't need to be a pure pg.

if sergio has improved to the point that he deserves to be playing over bayless, that's great for the blazers though. just another talent on their roster.

5. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

Nate

6. rocketeer

rocketeer Active Member

has nate actually said that? nothing in the article suggests that he has.

saying that he's currently 3rd string behind blake and sergio is not the same as saying he's 3rd string because he isn't enough of a pure pg.

7. The_Lillard_King

No, my assumption was Sergio being 2nd string and the talk about bayless dribbling a little too much and that Sergio is more of a true PG factored into Nate's decision.

But you're right, that isn't the same thing as saying he is 3rd string because he isn't enough of a pure PG. In fact, politically I think Nate almost has to give the 2nd string job to Sergio right now (it is only preseason and Sergio has been with the team for a couple of years)

I still think Nate (and staff) wants a pure PG at that position (went after Devin Harris) . . .. but I did make an assumption that, in hind sight, isn't as clear as I thought.

8. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Fuck it, let the chips fall where they may. I was one of the more vocal Sergio detractors last season, but if he's addressed either his shooting or defensive deficiencies enough to earn Nate's trust and he EARNS that backup PG spot then good for him.

I think we're losing sight of the fact that all of the guys outside of Brandon, LMA, and Greg (and maybe Rudy?) are secondary and their only usefulness is how well they compliment those three (four) guys' games.

I want the better player to win the number two spot, no matter who that is.

(Christ, I can already see the Sergio vs. Jack* part II debate starting over)

9. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I'm not sure that this is the case. Roy is capable of playing the role of primary ballhandler, but it's not necessarily true that that will be the gameplan.

I agree with this.

If Sergio is a better player right now than Bayless... great! I won't see it as a failure on Jerryd's part. Rodgriguez has been a pretty good prospect as a former first rounder, too. He's a couple of years older than Bayless and has had a couple of years to acclimate to the NBA. While he's had his ups and downs, the journey has potentially prepared him to be more prepared right now than Jerryd.

Bayless is 20 years old. If he emerges as the starter at some point this year it'll be a pretty big deal. That we have enough good players to relegate him to (potentially) a deep bench role speaks well to the team and the job KP is doing... not necessarily as a slam on Bayless as a player or a prospect.

Ed O.

10. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

I doubt that.

Nate has repeatedly said he wants basketball players, not position people. He wants hustle on both ends of the court too.

Today Nate indicated that the 2nd PG spot is Sergio's, but is still up in the air depending on what happens. My guess is he is trying to motivate Bayless and Sergio to do what he wants. May the best man win.

11. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Jerryd can D up opposing point guards. That is why he'll get more minutes than Sergio.

12. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Tis true. He knows the company of women, and even touches himself at night. Only the pure of heart and faith are welcome here!

:inquisition:

13. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

I did listen to Quick's chat today, and he said that most of the players rank Sergio #2 as well. Evidently Bayless is having a difficult time with the quick defenses and is overdribbling and not getting the ball to his teammates. Sounds like he needs a little break in period before he is ready. Will it be a one-year break in or a one-week break in?

14. The_Lillard_King

Hey reep, I hope you don't think I am anti-Bayless, I'm not (he the the Blazers first round pick who looks like a steal and teammates are raving over him, what's not to like).

I am one of the more skepitcal ones about his ability to play the point. I don't think it is a matter of when yet, I still think it is a matter of if.

But from what I read, he is going to be good, has a good head on his shoulders and will earn PT. The NBA PG position is a hard position to play, let's see how special this kid is. :cheers:

15. BlazersBlood

BlazersBlood It's flowing within me.

It seems like a lot of people have their expectations set a little high for Bayless. Yes he was a lottery pick, but he's still a rookie and only the 3rd day of practice. He's got a lot to learn and I don't think it will be a problem for him especially since he's hyper-competative. But it's going to take time.

16. Tortimer

Tortimer Well-Known Member

I do have my expectations for Bayless maybe a little high but that's not the point. We are talking Sergio getting time before Bayless. Unless Sergio really improved and I mean really improved since last year I don't want Sergio to get time ahead of hardly anybody on the team.

17. gatorpops

gatorpops Allen Crabb hits winning shot on Nov24 vs Blazers

Honey-Do's
    To answer Bayless on Bayless:

"The experience factor, you don’t realize how big it is. I realize it now. It’s going to take me until the end of training camp, but then I’ll be ready to go.”

No lack of confidence I'd say! clap:

g

18. Nikolokolus

I'll say it again. I was a huge critic of Sergio last year, but if he gets more burn, then I trust that the coaches have seen a marked improvement in his game from the middle of April to now ... I'm certainly skeptical if Sergio will end up in the long term plans for this organization, but if he succeeds and defies that expectation I'll be thrilled because it means he tapped into that seemingly limitless pool of talent and put it together -- and that makes KP look like even more of a genius. Sergio with a modicum of defense, and a semi-respectable jump shot should also thrill us, because it would mean he's not a one trick pony after all, and has a chance to be our long term solution at the 1 as he's as pure of a 1 (mentally at least) as you're going to get.

Saying you don't want player X to get time ahead of player y is odd to me, IMO, we should want whomever makes the team better to get minutes, regardless of the name on the back of the Jersey.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  19. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

I want Sergio to succeed and hope he proves himself worthy of the back-up PG spot. That said, I think this is all a mental game by Nate. Bayless will get minutes this year unless he falls flat on his face in camp.

20. Nikolokolus

Hey PapaG, that troll you have for an avatar is scary as hell. Did you get that from fangoria or something?