OT El Paso bristles at Trump's claim that wall made city safe

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Lanny, Feb 10, 2019.

1. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    Well, you have to consider marzy grew up with strings and tin cans to communicate.

2. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Well, the prototypes, anyway. Which were rocks tied together with vines.

barfo

3. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

stay on your side of the tracks! jk

4. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

TBF..im glad you put it that way! It is OK!

5. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

I can't help but wonder how you'd react if someone used that line on you...

6. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Let's start with Arizona rep, Martha McSally. She is not a Congressman. She is a Senator.
    Now, let's look at Representative Louie Gohmert. His district does not border Mexico. https://gohmert.house.gov/district/interactivemap.htm

Here's what I said:
    "Nobody in the House that has a constituency along the border wants a wall more than what we have now." Note the word House. Now note the expression "has a constituency along the border . . ."

7. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Note that I already noted all of this above. So eight Democrats are toeing the party line and one Republican wants a high tech wall instead of a concrete or steel one. I fail to see this as of much significance. But it’s a nice talking point.

MarAzul likes this.
  8. Lanny

These days land lines include fiber optic cables. There's also relays and satellites involved.
    No landline that's not fiber optic even approaches the speed or capacity of fiber optics. They are in two different universes. Whoever is trying to tell you different, and I can't see who it is, is full of shit. They obviously know nothing about physics.
    You, on the other hand, are dead on.
    I say this as a registered professional electrical engineer.

Edit: I'm not sure how this happens but I think I know. I sometimes get two different responses intertwined.

9. Lanny

Here's what you said in it's entirety:
    "Agree completely with the first paragraph. The second one is nonsense. I looked up congressional representatives for Texas and Arizona. Texas has 36 reps about 2/3 of whom are Republicans. First guy I googled about the wall, Louie Gohmert, is fully supportive of Trump on the wall. I picked a random Republican Arizona rep, Martha McSally, and she says, "It needs to be a bottom-up approach as far as what the agents need, what the sectors need," McSally said during a discussion on border security last year. "But it certainly includes the border wall, access roads, agents patrolling the border, technology and situational awareness, so they can detect and shut down the activity.""
    1. You called McSally a representative;
    2. No where did you disclaim representative Gohmert as a non border constituent.
    What is with all these errors? And why do you persist in them?

10. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    And here’s what I said after Barfo pointed out that you were talking about representatives of districts actually bordering Mexico:

“Ah. I guess I didn't get the Democrat talking points so I missed the subtlety of the argument. So, there are nine House districts across 4 states that border Mexico. Eight of these seats are held by Democrats, so it isn't hard to guess which way they're voting. The lone Republican, Will Hurd of Texas, opposes a concrete/steel slat wall. Instead, he favors a "smart wall".

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/17/us/politics/will-hurd-border-wall-trump.html

While the claim that no representatives of districts along the border support the wall makes a nice talking point, I don't think it means much in the overall debate. Actually, that's not correct. There is no debate going on, just people entrenched in highly partisan positions. And that's my problem with the state of this whole issue.

The first issue that needs to be tackled is the very notion of do we want a secure border, do we want to let things continue with the chaos that currently exists, or do we want something in the middle. That discussion needs to include policy decisions about what we want to do with immigration laws in general, and of course the issue of what to do with the millions of undocumented people who are already here. I don't see how we can move on in the discussion of the wall until there is some resolution of these issues. It's going to take leadership and compromise, so I have little hope that the current crop of dopes in DC have any chance of getting anywhere soon on a resolution.

Securing the border, if that's the direction we want to go, should be a matter of studying what makes the most sense in given areas along the border with Mexico. It should be done with a cost benefit type of analysis of what will work the best in those varying segments of the border. That kind of study needs to be nonpartisan and it needs to include all of the various law enforcement and border security agencies.

Yeah. I'm tilting at windmills this morning. It's much easier to sit back and yell at each other and continue to use this issue as a means of convincing your base of just how truly awful the "other side" is.”

11. Lanny

You were responding to Barfo's post and not mine. No problem, I can handle that.

There have been studies done on the efficacy of a wall versus other means of securing our border. I haven't seen a credible study that concludes that a wall is all that helpful. Now, the committee studying the efficacy of a Wall has reached a compromise of $1.35 Billion for new wall construction after receiving a lot of input from our border security personnel. I think that's too much for a Wall but if it averts a shutdown, then it's a worthy compromise.

The voters will have to decide this issue in the 2020 general election.

12. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Lanny, anyone who says walls alone will secure the border is a dumbass.

If you say it loudly, over and over again, at political rallies, you're the Dumbass in Chief.

If you say that walls have no effectiveness in certain locations and in combination with other security measures, you're a Democrat.

bodyman5000 and 1 likes this.
  13. Lanny

Well that last statement is not true. Democrats have advocated for walls in some areas, just not for 1,800 miles.

14. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    It's hard to find any of them who will admit to that right now in the midst of this budget standoff. But then, all politicians have selective memories.

15. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    The graph used in the article clearly shows the pieces of border obstructions erected in El Paso beginning in the 80's not only reduced violent crime in El Paso, but also in Texas and the US. Super impact.

But the real reason you ARE TOLD crime doesn't happen in El Paso is because it is entirely owned (Mayor and LEOS included) and operated by Mexican drug cartels. They don't want to draw attention to that.

Here's the real scoop.

https://www.judicialwatch.org/video/the-sun-city-cell/

16. Lanny

ha ha ha ha
    What is this, April first?

riverman likes this.
  17. barfo

Also, because the population is descended in large part from aliens from nearby Area 51, they lack the digestive juices necessary to process human food and subsist entirely on drugs, small pebbles, and fingernail polish. Beto is the leader of the El Paso drug cartel and is the brother of El Chapo, who Beto will set free when he steals the election. Old El Paso hot sauce is laced with PCP and other mind-controlling drugs intended to make the population in other states compliant.

barfo

riverman and Lanny like this.
  18. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
  19. barfo

riverman and Lanny like this.
  20. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Meet some of El Paso's finest!