Ellis takes full advantage of playing time

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Montay, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Montay

Montay JBB JustBBall Member

Rookie guard showcasing his talents with several Warriors hurtBy Marcus Thompson IICONTRA COSTA TIMESOAKLAND -

Warriors swingman Calbert Cheaney was the first one up clapping on the bench as rookie guard Monta Ellis left the court to an ovation from the home crowd Saturday.
    Ellis slapped fives with his teammates on his way to his seat. Cheaney, a 13-year veteran who has taken Ellis under his wing since training camp, made eye contact with Ellis and gave him a you-da-man point.
    "I'm so proud of him," Cheaney said. "So proud of him."
    Ellis showed he's been taking advantage of his rookie season, though his court time has been limited. He's added some muscle, allegedly 15 pounds worth, to his slight 6-foot-3 frame. He's worked on his outside shot and his left hand. He hasn't gotten much time to run point, except for bringing the ball up in the final moments of a quarter.
    The last two games, however, Ellis didn't look the least bit intimidated when given increased playing time because of guard Jason Richardson's back injury. He played 58 minutes and totaled 21 points on 10-for-18 shooting. He also totaled 11 rebounds, four steals and a spectacular block. And the Warriors needed every minute from him as they split the two games.
    They'd already been starving for bench production. Plus they were down two starters and a key reserve.
    "That's the type of energy we need," point guard Baron Davis said. "It's good to see guys getting an opportunity. ... Last year when I came (to the Warriors via a Feb. 24 trade), our bench was so critical. The energy they brought was fun and exciting. That's what we were missing."
    Ellis stands out on the Warriors because he's so quick and explosive. There were two instances, one in both games, those traits really showed. Friday against the Los Angeles Lakers, with just under four minutes left in the third quarter, Ellis pounced on a Smush Parker pass up the court. Ellis got to the passing lane in a blink and soared with ease to intercept the pass, leading to a dunk on the other end.
    Saturday against Portland, he matched up with the Blazers lightening-quick point guard Sebastian Telfair, who came up with clean picks of Ellis and guard Derek Fisher. There was one sequence where Telfair was in the right corner and pulled out one of his crossover moves to try to get by Ellis. But Ellis stayed right with him, prompting a cheer from the fans after Telfair gave up the ball.
    "He moves to a spot really quickly, he can get off his feet quickly, get into a shot quickly," Warriors coach Mike Montgomery said. "He makes a back cut, he separates from people. We don't have a lot of people who can do that."
    And Ellis loves to get after it on defense.
    "That's all the coaches talk about, that's my No. 1 priority," Ellis said.
    The ride figures to end for Ellis pretty soon. When Richardson returns from a sore back and Cheaney returns from a strained left thigh, which could happen tonight at Seattle, Ellis will slide right back down the depth chart.
    Though the Warriors could use the energy and athleticism Ellis brings, especially on defense, Montgomery said it would be hard to find him more than spot minutes when everyone's healthy. But the message did get across: Ellis ain't scared.
    "He knows he came in and did his job, showed what he can do so now the coaching staff has an abundance of confidence in him," assistant coach Keith Smart said. "He'll be OK."
    Notes: Starting small forward Mike Dunleavy (sprained left ankle) is expected to play tonight. Montgomery said if Dunleavy can go, he will start, but how much he plays will depend on how his ankle responds. Cheaney is also expected to play. Richardson said he was a game-time decision for tonight. He didn't practice Tuesday because his back was still sore. "Whatever they want me to do," Richardson said. "I'm not in a rush to get back out there and reinjure myself and be out even longer." Richardson did give his pick for this year's Slam Dunk Contest, the contestants for which were announced Tuesday: defending champion Josh Smith of Atlanta, Philadelphia's Andre Iguodala, Memphis' Hakim Warrick and New York's 5-foot-9 guard Nate Robinson. "Oooh. That's going to be a pretty good dunk contest," Richardson said. "I'm going with the underdog, Nate." But Jason, is it because you don't want Smith to join you and Michael Jordan as the only repeat winners? "Yeah. I want to keep that record."

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctime...ts/13762864.htm

I am a huge Monta Ellis fan. The kid can play. Montgomery needs to get Monta involved in a regular role on the team. His energy and skill level can make good things happen for this team.

2. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    We have a player that can stay with all the speedy point guards out there. I have to say that I'm impressed with this kid. If Monty can teach Montay how to run the offense from set plays, he should be solid for years to come.