Exclusive End of Season Fire/Keep Poll

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BonesJones, Apr 21, 2018.

?

Pick One From Each Letter:

1. A.) Keep Neil Olshey

25.8%
  2. A.) Fire Neil Olshey

64.5%
  3. B.) Keep Terry Stotts

3.2%
  4. B.) Fire Terry Stotts

69.4%
  5. B.) Only Fire Stotts if We Have a Great Replacement Hire

29.0%
  6. C.) Keep C.J. McCollum

6.5%
  7. C.) Trade C.J. McCollum

25.8%
  8. C.) Shop C.J. McCollum But Only For the Right Deal

64.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

I actually think Nate is similar to Stotts in development and rebuild success. Nate has done a good job in Indiana.

It's just hard for me to tell, because I still kind of think D'Antoni is not s great coach, but he's coached some great teams. I guess it's just not always one way or the other, it's more about the fit of coach and players. Get the right players for a coaches system and you are golden. Maybe we've just structured our roster further away from Terry's system with the lack of wing floor spacing, and 4 floor spacing. But if that's the case then why didn't Zach see Aldridge play calls this season? That's where I feel like sometimes Stotts doesn't always do the best job with time allocation.

2. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I think there’s something to this. A new voice isn’t a bad thing. Coaches get stale. Most guys are not Pop. He’s the exception. Shit Terry lasted longer than most. But I don’t want to make a change just to make a change. There has to be a plan. They have to have someone in mind. Terry wasn’t perfect but he’s still not going to be easy to replace.

PDXFonz likes this.
  3. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Sorry to burst your bubble Bones but some of this isn't possible under the CBA. I can help you out if you want.

4. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

I know the CBA dude. Tell me then....

5. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Fantastic point, highly plausible. I’m sure Neil didn’t come up with 5 year rebuild plan on his own. Surely that moves through Paul, but maybe we need to trust the process here in rip city.

However if that really were the case, then why is Meyers even on the roster? Why not pay a team to take his contract from us? I don’t think you make that decision unless you have something big and concrete. Realistically in today’s league, what are the odds that they know they have a player they can get wifn that cap room? Can they actually attract a big name here? Why haven’t they found a way to make it happen by now?

6. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Alright, but when you make it big I hope I better be your go to "Cap Guy"...

The Knicks trade: The date for those guys to decide if they are picking up their option or not is June 29th, which is after the draft. Going into the draft it is likely that the Knicks won't know if they will have cap space or not to make a lopsided trade. Therefore there is no way that the Knicks would draft the guy we want not even knowing if they can accept that trade anyway. Even if possible they'd have to renounce the rights to Kanter, O'Quinn, and Baker leaving them very thin up front with no cap space or picks to change that. There are just too many factors here for the Knicks. Best case scenario they have about $25 million in cap space and the difference in this deal (keep in mind you have to use next years salary numbers since the Knicks don't have cap space now) is $24.3 million meaning even if every single variable worked out for this trade it would be very close to not working.

7. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

I agree with everything you just said.

At the same time I feel like Terry was a better coaching fit for Aldridge than Pop is. The coach and player chemistry can’t be Under valued, and chemistry is deeper than whether or not you get along with and or respect each other.

Pop also had some fantastic talent around him. Think about all the players he’s had on his teams over the years. David Robinson, Tim Duncan, Manu, Ginobili, Parker. He’s always had great role players too, like Brent Barry, Steve Kerr, Shawn Elliot.

It’s definitely no cake walk to build a smooth organization capable of competing. We’re definitely closer than most even if we make 0 player or personnel changes. I guess that’s worth something.

8. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Bulls trade: First off their owner is a cheapskate. He's not going to take on that much money for one 1st round draft pick. Assuming they renounced Vonleh, waited to sign LaVine until after this trade, and kept guys like Zipser and Nwaba for cheap then they can probably get to about $30 million in cap space so technically it's possible but our pick a year away is not worth all that cap space to them.

9. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    The Signings: Lets say we got to this point in your scenario despite everything I just said about the Knicks and Bulls. Assuming we waited to sign Nurk we'd have just enough to sign Evans to the deal you presented, although I'll ignore that I don't know why he'd accept another short term deal like that. Do you know what happens when you go under the cap? Bye bye MLE. You don't get it anymore. The only thing we'd have is the Room Exception which is expected to be $4.4 million. Do you think Davis would sign for that? No way, we'd be super thin for bigs (I think we could still keep PapaG in your scenario though). We'd have to fill out 3 spots with vet min players.

10. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Meyers: Makes no sense to use a draft pick to get rid of him. It doesn't give us space to sign someone else and we lose the one asset we do have that even you said Olshey is good at. Although we don't know if they tried to do something like this either as it's possible the pick wasn't worth other teams taking on that contract.

Free Agents: It's just not going to happen unless we massively overpay for a guy who will then be vilified for making too much money (see Turner).

PDXFonz likes this.
  11. BonesJones

That's one thing and its not a CBA issue, it's a player option date issue. I know my CBA haha, just didn't think about the option date.

Send Thomas back to us then, without sending Harkless there. Then, once/if they have the cap space, send Harkless there if we sign Tyreke, and keep Harkless here if we dont.

12. BonesJones

You can find another team that wants Evan Turner with a 1st. Meyers for Asik is an even swap.

13. BonesJones

That's what I'm referring to, the Room Exception, which is sometimes referred to as the Cap Space MLE.

I think Davis would sign for that. He wants to stay here and the market won't offer him much more.

14. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Nope, they can't do CJ for Thomas and Lee either. It still doesn't work and they won't know until after the draft. The timing just doesn't work out. We'd not only have to take back more salary but taking on Thomas means we could only offer Evans about $10 million minus whatever else we take back from them.

15. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Dude, I know you're trying really hard but there is no fucking way Davis would take over a $2 million pay cut to that little of an amount just because he likes it here. Zero chance.

16. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    No Asik and Leonard is not an even swap. I posted this the other day:

Meyers owed $21,882,023
    Asik owed $14,286516

That is over $7.5 million less.

As for Turner, no team is going to take his contract on until at minimum the trade deadline this coming season when he has 1.5 years left. You'd have to include multiple 1st rounders AND find a team that completely strikes out in free agency. This is a huge pipe dream.

17. BonesJones

Yeah it has to be with $5M or 125% sheesh... I was suggesting something that's get it closer.. didn't know I needed to list the $1M in filler to not get some rebuttal.

18. BonesJones

I know, but if we're talking about getting cap space this year, they're even. Ask has $3M owed if he opts in. Ive said that a couple times in the past couple of weeks...

BKN took on Carroll for a 1st. I know Carroll is a couple MIL less and slightly better, but it's the same scenario. So you're extremely overexagerating what it'd take to get rid of Turner.

19. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    The problem is the more you send back the less players the Knicks have on their roster so you have to start factoring in cap holds for roster spots and the amount of cap space it eats into what we'd have available for Tyreke. Don't get snippy because your plan isn't working.

20. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Well the Nets aren't going to have the salary space to do trades like this anymore. Turner makes more money, is arguably not as good of a player as Carroll, and the Nets were a rare situation where they were desperate for picks due to the stupid trades of Billy King. You can't say that on one hand no one is going to offer much to Davis due to a lack of cap space out there and then think that teams would be willing to use that precious space for Evan fucking Turner.

Edit: You edited your post and said some of the things I just said while typing this.