Exclusive End of Season Fire/Keep Poll

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BonesJones, Apr 21, 2018.

?

Pick One From Each Letter:

1. A.) Keep Neil Olshey

25.8%
  2. A.) Fire Neil Olshey

64.5%
  3. B.) Keep Terry Stotts

3.2%
  4. B.) Fire Terry Stotts

69.4%
  5. B.) Only Fire Stotts if We Have a Great Replacement Hire

29.0%
  6. C.) Keep C.J. McCollum

6.5%
  7. C.) Trade C.J. McCollum

25.8%
  8. C.) Shop C.J. McCollum But Only For the Right Deal

64.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

A2

B2

C3

BonesJones likes this.
  2. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Its the fact that ya feel the need to point out that shit wouldn't work because there'd need to be $1M in salary filler added lmao. Fine, I'll make sure to name every filler peice needed.

3. BonesJones

I didnt edit anything?

4. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    That really wasn't the intention, it was that on top of the other 4,789 things I pointed out already as to why it wouldn't work.

5. BonesJones

Alright, we get it. You know it all.

hoopsjock likes this.
  6. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

I love this. Every bit.

7. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    You can call me a know it all if you want, just like I mentioned to others I'm going to call people out that post unrealistic scenarios. People read your post and get excited and want/expect something like that to happen. I provide the reality check that it's not. I hope you can appreciate the fact that I took the time to explain why instead of just getting defensive about it.

If we somehow came away from this off season with Mikal Bridges and Hutchinson I will be doing back flips, so I would love for your scenario to pan out that way. I did the math wanting it to work.

8. FlashWad

FlashWad Well-Known Member

I voted for the following :
    A.) Fire Neil Olshey

B.) Fire Terry Stotts
    C.) Shop C.J. McCollum But Only For the Right Deal

I would rather miss the playoffs then get there and get swept in the first round every season. That way we can atleast get some better young talent in the draft. We need total change or this will be a never ending loop of melting down in the playoffs. Stotts needs to go, 10 straight playoff losses is unacceptable especially if you are the 3rd seed going up against a 6. He gives too much freedom to players and does not reprehend them when they do something wrong.
    Neil needs to go also. Secretly I'm pretty sure Neil hates Portland. I don't blame him at all for not being able to land the top talent in the free agency market but overpaying for Crabbe, Leonard and Turner is not going to cut it, I believe he would of been fired last year without that Nurkic trade anyway. We need to cut our losses and start fresh while Dame is still in his prime. We are great city with the best fans in the NBA, We have some talent we are just badly mismanaged.

9. BonesJones

Version 2.0

POR Gets: 9th Pick, Courtney Lee, Lance Thomas
    NYK Gets: C.J McCollum Evan Turner, 2018 & 2019 DAL 2nds, Cash from DAL & ATL
    DAL Gets: Tim Hardaway Jr, Jake Layman
    ATL Gets: Emmanuel Mudiay, Meyers Leonard, 2019 MIN/LAL 2nd, 2021 POR 2nd

- NYK still gets CJ, and also gets back Turner, Swanigan, and adds a couple 2nds (instead of giving up nother 1st) for Hardaway, Thomas, and Mudiay in this revision.
    - DAL has loads of cap space and getting a young wing to start at SG makes sense. Other destinations for Hardaway could include PHX, CHI, etc.
    - ATL has no PGs behind Dennis Schroeder, and might take the chance at turning Mudiay into something. They won't be able to land Free Agents and has $30M-$40M in cap space next year with some bad contracts expiring already, so Leonard isn't a hit, and could be another interesting experiment for them. Two 2nds with it makes it worth it.

NYK Outgoing: Lee ($12.253M) + Hardaway ($17.325M) + Thomas ($7.119M) + Muday ($4.294M) = $40.991M
    NYK Incoming:
    McCollum ($25.759M) + Turner (17.868M) + Swanigan ($1.740) = $45.367M

POR Raw Salary Total for 2018-2019 after this: ~$74M
    With Nurkic & Davis Cap Holds: ~90M
    (Nurkic is apx. $7.5M (250%?), Davis is ~$9.5 (150%)? Not sure. Considering Davis likely won't make more than $9M, if it's higher we could renounce him then save.

Draft Bridges+Hutchison: ~$4M against cap
    With Nurkic & Davis Cap Holds: ~94M

Renounce Napier and Connaughton
    If Tyreke signs, shop Harkless across the league for the cap space. NYK could take him if they have Kanter and others opt-out. DAL, CHI, ATL, BKN, & PHX are all possibilities.
    Harkless saves ~$11M
    Leaving a payroll of ~$84M
    Salary cap was projected at $101M, but considering a report saying NBA is making more than expected, lets say $102.5M.
    So lets count the players/cap holds we have:
    Players (7): Lillard, Lee, Thomas, Briges, Hutchison, Aminu, Collins,
    Cap Holds (2): Nurkic, Davis

That leaves $85.5 in salary obligations, leaving us $17M a year to sign Tyreke (A little more if Davis signs for less).

So that's feasible based off the CBA. Still a pipedream, as it'd require New York really valuing C.J. and some other teams to work it out, but it's feasible, and it'd be awesome for us. Would still leave the Room Exception (preferably for a PG who could create for himself and others, like the year we had from Mo Williams), and would result in the same lineup I stated earlier.

Lillard / Baldwin
    Evans / Lee
    Bridges / Hutchison
    Collins / Aminu
    Nurkic / Davis

10. BonesJones

I don't expect something like that to happen, but anything I post is at least close to being feasible the way it is under the CBA, and would take maneuverability to make happen, but look... Got the same lineup with a CBA-feasible series of moves.

Either way though, it's still a pipedream. A realistic scenario doesn't involve us getting cap space, but Tyreke Evans is so perfect for us that I had to figure out a way we could sign him.

There's much more likely C.J. to NYK trades that involve us taking back Thomas, Dotson, Lee, and the 9th pick for C.J. That would still allow us to get Bridges. However, it wouldn't give us the ability to sign Evans down the road.

11. borim69

borim69 Well-Known Member

Keep Olshey
    Fire Stotts
    Shop CJ
    I like Stotts but I think he was the right coach for lamucus and his style of play he is not the right coach for any of our other bigs except maybe Meyers who is a bust. I am on the fence with Olshey but I do not think it is all his fault he was given a direction and he did what he could. CJ or Dame shop would not be a bad idea but it would have to be for the right deal.

What is the ruling on buying out contracts? Can we buyout Meyers and Turner and it only counts on this years cap or will it count for the entire time?

12. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Buyouts aren't an option. Their full contract stays on the books and then you can't trade them either. Stretching their contracts would be an even bigger mistake because then they'd count against the cap for big payments for 5 years instead of 2.

13. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    There is a reason why getting cap space for Tyreke isn't realistic. Sure the trades you made now work but c'mon a four way trade with that many parts and picks isn't likely. I think you should stick to the NY one like you mentioned in the last paragraph of the previous post. If it were as easy as you think to get rid of contracts the Knicks would add Joakim Noah to this deal. Teams aren't going to be lining up to take on bad contracts without ones going out. You can MAYBE find one team to take Leonard but Atlanta wouldn't do that four way trade.

If cap space is the goal I think 2019 is the best we can hope for.

14. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Nurks cap hold is $8,841,915.

Davis cap hold is $12,069,809.

Having only 9 guys under contract means we'd have 3 roster spot holds at a rough estimate of $600,000 each for a total of $1.8 million.

Off the $101 million cap the rookie holds would be a little over $4.5 million.

Some minor differences but all that adds up to not having enough to offer Tyreke more than about $11 million if the cap is $102.5 or $9.5 million if the cap is the expected $101 million. So even if I play along that those other teams would take our bad contracts it would still be tough to get Tyreke.

The only thing you could do is offer Davis like 3 years, $21 million right away and hope he takes it without being offended. That would be $5 million under his cap hold and give us about $14.5 for Tyreke but once again every other situation would have to happen. I didn't check your math but I'm assuming your numbers incuded the Varejao, Nicholson, and Ezeli dead numbers.

15. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

I 'm for keeping Olshey. I know that's not a popular choice, but he did, draft Dame, trade of Nurkic, and help the team stay competitive after LaMarcus said "F" to the franchise and city with his BS move. Yes, he has made some poor decisions(ET, Meyers, Harkless, and Crabbe), mostly the amount of money paid those players. That was a crazy summer, contract wise ,around the league. I think ET has worked out OK. Harkless, when motivated, is a nice role player. Meyers was a disaster. Crabbe's trade wasn't good IMO. Blazers could use his talents. But was he forced to do that deal to save money? I'm just not confident that a newby GM makes things better.

16. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

Man! I don't trade CJ for a draftpick and fodder in any scenario. CJ for a deal that brings Kawhi, hell yes, but not for an unproven college kid, and some castoffs. Makes no sense at all.

17. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

For a Top five i would. Nothing less thiugh and would prefer top three.