Erick Dampier On The Trading Block?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Rudeezy, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

<div align="center">[​IMG]</div>

The Grizz have failed numerous times on their attempts to steal Erick Dampier from the Warriors; West isn't giving up. There is talk that Dampier will possibly opt out of his contract next summer in an attempt to make more than the $16.8 million left on his contract for the next two seasons.

Even though Dampier has been playing all-star calibar ball, this may scare the Warriors enough into making a trade with the Grizz. Do you think a combo of Battier, Swift and Jake Tsakalidis will be enough to lure the Warriors into a trade?

2. Purple N Gold

Purple N Gold JBB JustBBall Member

I like Swift a lot, I can just see him fitting in to this Warrior team, as a big shot blocker and big scores when they need him. I would look at it as a possibility if Dampier were to leave next year, Swift is a young player with the ability to be a double double/2 blocks type player in more time. When Foyle and Murphy are back that's more depth at the big man spot, if that is seriously being considered, I'd go for it!

3. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Purple N Gold:</div><div class="quote_post">I like Swift a lot, I can just see him fitting in to this Warrior team, as a big shot blocker and big scores when they need him. I would look at it as a possibility if Dampier were to leave next year, Swift is a young player with the ability to be a double double/2 blocks type player in more time. When Foyle and Murphy are back that's more depth at the big man spot, if that is seriously being considered, I'd go for it!</div>I'm with you here. Big men are very hard to come by and Dampier has proved that he can play with the best in the West, but we can't afford to lose him for nothing. Swift would be a great addition to this Warriors team. Lets see how it plays out.

4. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

The Warriors should jump all over this deal. Dampier is playing great ball, but you have to question his motives. I think he's stepping up his game because he has the option to be a free agent after this year. His value is at an all time high and the Warriors would be getting more than what Dampier is really worth. Last year the Warriors only used Dampier for half a game, and Foyle played the rest of the minutes and closed out games. The Warriors can win without Dampier, and they will not miss him once Murphy and Foyle return. Throw in a great defender with Battier, who can get plenty of minutes at the "Swing" position, and another big man in Swift. This would also help the Warriors in their efforts to re-sign Foyle, by making him the everyday starter. This move gives the Warriors a lot more flexibility with their lineup, and they get younger.

5. Rudeezy

Great points Shape. I do think Dampier is playing with a lot more energy and desire this year because of his option to opt out, another reason is the fact that he is healthy. He has been hurt for the past few seasons and hasn't been able to show his full potential. Then again, it didn't seem as though he tried too hard to get back in the lineup.

Foyle proved last year that he can be an everyday center in this league with his great defense. Once Murphy is back Dampier will become less of a factor also.

If the trade went down:

PG: Van Exel/Claxon
    SG: Richardson/Cheany/Pietrus
    SF: Battier/Dunleavy
    PF: Murphy/Robinson/Cardinal/Jones
    C : Foyle/Swift

6. notmuchgame

notmuchgame JBB JustBBall Member

That trade sounds really good for GS. The dilemma of this trade tho is that you would be making it with Jerry West. Does West know something no one else knows? Many GM's have vowed to not trade with west because they fear how they would look in retrospect a few years down the line (ie. Hornets trading Kobe). Maybe West is just trying to free up salary to sign Kobe. btw, I like swift a lot too, he just needs a kick in the pants.

7. InNETSweTrust

InNETSweTrust JBB Philippines' Finest

I love Dampier but I wouldn't be able to resist that offer.

8. starman85

starman85 JBB JustBBall Member

Seems like a good trade, but getting Battier may retard the swift developement of Mike Dunleavy. I think Dunleavy will defer to Battier more because of their Duke days, which may or may not be a good thing.

Other than that, its a good trade. Foyle and Murphy coming back will definitely drop Damp's numbers.

9. Emo

Emo Active Member

Trading Dampier is excellent. It's about time they go with another center. That contract was just too much for Damp. I felt he didn't deserve that big contract. I think if this trade does go down, it works well for Golden State. Having Shane Battier and Swift on your team is excellent. Two players with talent that can help out any team, and plus they're young. Youth is always a good plus in this league.

10. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting starman85:</div><div class="quote_post">Seems like a good trade, but getting Battier may retard the swift developement of Mike Dunleavy. I think Dunleavy will defer to Battier more because of their Duke days, which may or may not be a good thing.

Other than that, its a good trade. Foyle and Murphy coming back will definitely drop Damp's numbers.</div>I see your point but the Warriors are trying to win NOW. If Dunleavy wants to be on a winner, he might have to sacrifice his starting job or atleast bust his ass to keep it. Either way, a good scenerio to have if your a Warriors fan.

11. Purple N Gold

Purple N Gold JBB JustBBall Member

Wow, I'm blind, didn't even see Battier. Only saw Jake, so didn't make a comment on that. Battier would also be a nice addition along with Swift if they were able to pull this off.